Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 12:35 pm

Post subject: How important is table politics to you?
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 7:52 am 

I personally love it. It can level the field quite nicely, if you have a knack for it. It's a game within the game. And I'm not talking about the regular pointing out of threats you don't have an answer for in hopes someone else does. I'm talking something like this story:

A four-player free-for-all game. I was playing Ghoulcaller Gisa, the guy across the table ran The Mimeoplasm. I got fairly low-ish on life, something like 13 or so, and then I made a comeback when I made seven Zombie tokens and played Pontiff of Blight. A few spells later, I was hitting 50 life, my opponents severely crippled. Then the Mimeoplasm guy cast his commander and exiled some flying thing and Artisan of Kozilek. That's a lot of evasive commander damage. He attacked me once. I had no response. So I asked him if he was gonna attack someone else if I sacced my Pontiff to Gisa. He looked surprised, so to drive the point home, I just did it. When he untapped for his turn, I loudly announced "During your upkeep, I sacrifice Pontiff to Gisa and make two Zombies." It worked. He was content that the thing that was threatening him is gone and went for someone else. That one turn was all I needed. The other two players loosened up and returned to murdering the guy with a two-turn clock on the table. I reanimated my Pontiff and went on to win the game.

So, how important is politics to you? Do you live for it? Do you not bother? Do you have any fun stories to share?

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How important is table politics to you?
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 8:07 am 

We provide information to up-and-comers that are not sure what is happening rules-wise. Table talk is banned, and I find others outside our rule set that lie to gain an advantage unseemly.

I am all about properly educating players and letting them learn from the decisions made,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 8:15 am 

Dee123 wrote:
I find others outside our rule set that lie to gain an advantage unseemly.

Table politics is not the same as lying.

Antis wrote:
So, how important is politics to you? Do you live for it? Do you not bother? Do you have any fun stories to share?

Certainly not something I go out of my way to do, but I'll make a deal from time to time. The important thing is to honor your bargains - never be the guy that says "If you deal with that, I won't kill you next turn" and then go ahead and kill them anyways.

I've also done some meta-game type politics - I can't ban cards, but I CAN attack people that play those cards with single-minded ruthlessness and tell them exactly why they are getting all of my hate until they stop playing that crap.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 8:26 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Dee123 wrote:
I find others outside our rule set that lie to gain an advantage unseemly.

Table politics is not the same as lying.
Thanks. I was gonna say that I should be good in Dee123's book, then :)

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Antis wrote:

Certainly not something I go out of my way to do, but I'll make a deal from time to time. The important thing is to honor your bargains - never be the guy that says "If you deal with that, I won't kill you next turn" and then go ahead and kill them anyways.

I've also done some meta-game type politics - I can't ban cards, but I CAN attack people that play those cards with single-minded ruthlessness and tell them exactly why they are getting all of my hate until they stop playing that crap.
Do you get the whining, too? Like when someone plays a card that one only plays if they have a combo based around it and then cry when you catch on and target them accordingly? About two weeks ago, I got a bit irked by a guy doing this. "What? Why do you target me for playing this? It doesn't do anything!" "Because I won't just sit around, politely waiting for you to combo-kill the whole table, that's why!"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 8:37 am 

Haha. You're all good in my book. I don't care for table talk deals, but I have been a party to non-communicated deals. I am also happy to tell someone what I think were mistakes after the game ends. I just don't jump in at the moment.

I have no problem telling people asking questions if my cards are big threats, but I provide other options too. If they choose to blow up my card when I think it is wrong, I will just let it play out. Then revisit after the game ends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 9:49 am 

i dont outright make deals like "i wont attack you if you dont attack me" but i think ganging up on whoever has a runaway lead or a douchbaggy combo piece, or sharing a threat assessment aloud is one of the most fun parts of multiplayer play. Even if i cant swords the Conscecrated Sphinx, i can sure as hell let the other players know whats gonna happen if they don't

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 10:25 am 

That's not politics though, that's just threat assessment. Politics is getting someone to help you out when it's not necessarily in their best interest, usually in exchange for you doing something that might not be in your best interest. The trick is to get a deal that is actually good for you in the longer term.

Quote:
"Politics is the art of saying 'Nice doggy' until you find a big stick" - Will Rogers

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 10:47 am 

Viperion wrote:
That's not politics though, that's just threat assessment. Politics is getting someone to help you out when it's not necessarily in their best interest, usually in exchange for you doing something that might not be in your best interest. The trick is to get a deal that is actually good for you in the longer term.
Yep, that's what I had in mind. I think my story fits that well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 11:14 am 

Antis wrote:
Do you get the whining, too? Like when someone plays a card that one only plays if they have a combo based around it and then cry when you catch on and target them accordingly? About two weeks ago, I got a bit irked by a guy doing this. "What? Why do you target me for playing this? It doesn't do anything!" "Because I won't just sit around, politely waiting for you to combo-kill the whole table, that's why!"

It's more about cards that say "target player can't participate" like Mindslaver or Overwhelming Splendor. That and decks that are just annoying, like Norin the Wary. (Look at me, I played Confusion in the Ranks and Purphoros, God of the Forge again! Aren't I cool?).

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile