Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 1:15 pm

Post subject: Mystery Booster Playtest cards
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 3:17 am 

https://scryfall.com/sets/mystpt

This seems fun as hell, i wish they were legal in commander at least though. What's the point if they aren't legal anywhere? I guess in Silver Border land they work fine.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mystery Booster Playtest cards
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 5:40 am 

Much like conspiracies, they are only 'good for' the limited environment they were released in.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 7:47 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Absolutely no chance these will be legal. They're even worse than Un-cards, which (if you didn't know) are actually tested as if they were normal cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 9:53 am 

Shoe wrote:
i wish they were legal in commander at least though.

Wait... are those an official magic product? They look like a whole bunch of nope taped to basic lands or something.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 9:57 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Shoe wrote:
i wish they were legal in commander at least though.

Wait... are those an official magic product? They look like a whole bunch of nope taped to basic lands or something.

They come in the convention version of the mystery boosters, the ones that will be available at WPN stores in March won't have them they will have foils that have not yet been revealed.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 11:36 am 

Shoe wrote:
This seems fun as hell

I mean, as much as I like Slivers, I'd hate for this card to be legal.

That being said, I still believe Slivers are a lost tribe of Eldrazi.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 11:40 am 

Segrus wrote:

You might be on to something. After all, that colored mana had to go somewhere right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 12:48 pm 

moraff wrote:
Segrus wrote:

You might be on to something. After all, that colored mana had to go somewhere right?

Well...not to get too off topic, but: both operate as hives (Eldrazi aren't hiveminds exactly, since spawns are extensions of their respective Titans, but it's still hivemind-like and Slivers could have been that way until their physical presence required the egg-hatching we see on The First Sliver); their physical characteristics have similar qualities (the tentacle-like tail/body not unlike what you'd expect to see in some Eldrazi; general lack of facial features); and The First Sliver's ability is one which we know is related to reality getting broken (introduced in Alara Reborn when the five shards are crashed together)--the Eldrazi Titans' presence, the place where they exist, and their theoretical function in the Multiverse are generally reality-breaking.

But it's just a theory.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 9:32 pm 

I thought Volrath created the slivers, but according to the wiki:

Quote:
Volrath visited an as-yet-unidentified plane and discovered slivers. A fellow shapeshifter, he was so fascinated by these mesomorphic, hive-minded creatures that he brought the Sliver Queen to Rath. He then took a number of her brood away from her (and stuck them in the Furnace of Rath) so he could study them.

Volrath is said to have genetically modified the slivers, but to what extent is also unknown. He attempted to create artificial slivers, but these were a poor approximation of the real thing and had no innate abilities to share with the hive. These Metallic Slivers were used to spy on the sliver hive.

*Emphasis mine

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 10:19 pm 

Yeah, Volrath only found them somewhere and we don't know what condition that plane was/is in. Since he didn't find The First Sliver there, I think it's still safe to say the Slivers at that point could have long-since evolved away from a theoretical Eldrazi origin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 11:53 pm 

so, speculation time, are these going to stay insanely expensive, or will the price drop once more supply hits the market? I cant decide if i think these will become affordable like silver border cards from packs or insanely overpriced like holiday cards and hascon promos

thoughts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 1:01 am 

Shoe wrote:
so, speculation time, are these going to stay insanely expensive, or will the price drop once more supply hits the market? I cant decide if i think these will become affordable like silver border cards from packs or insanely overpriced like holiday cards and hascon promos

thoughts?

I think they will be expensive. Maro's responses on Blogatog indicate these cards didn't land as expected. These are only available in limited releases so I see them like the ComicCon promos. On top of that, it is original content not rare art. I think cube is going to go nuts for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 5:52 am 

Dee123 wrote:
Shoe wrote:

thoughts?

I think they will be expensive. Maro's responses on Blogatog indicate these cards didn't land as expected. These are only available in limited releases so I see them like the ComicCon promos. On top of that, it is original content not rare art. I think cube is going to go nuts for it.

Oh no, i just read that article on blogatog. These seem great, and I'm only sad because i feel like the people who will have access to them (people who go to tournaments) aren't the ones who want them (because they arent tournament legal). They should have just put them in the retail versions too IMHO.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 12:22 pm 

Yeah, I don't want to play with the playtest cards in Commander. I'm excited about all of the reprints that they crammed into these boosters though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 3:12 pm 

Panphage wrote:
Yeah, I don't want to play with the playtest cards in Commander. I'm excited about all of the reprints that they crammed into these boosters though.

i want em for my silver border cube, and casual play in general. but unless the prices come WAAY down, i wont spend the cash.

Offline Profile