Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 9:48 pm

Post subject: Re: And the next set is..... Eldraine!
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 5:25 am 

Thanks Shabbaman. I think I incorrectly thought of Brawl decks like Commander decks instead of Planeswalker decks.

I have a collector itch, and have some masterpieces. They all look better online than in person. I will probably end up buying some collector cards, but I will make sure to see it for real first. I think WOTC understands what went off the rails there so they will probably take my money on these new looks from this set.

This collector product is not like the Alara foils packs because you can get unique stuff only in them. The Alara packs just devalued what you could already get, not give you cool things. It is more like moving masterpieces to a different product line than regular boosters. There was some blowback when they absorbed too much value away from regular cards. It is surprising how the cool stuff market is so tough to navigate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 4:17 pm 

Dee123 wrote:
Thanks Shabbaman. I think I incorrectly thought of Brawl decks like Commander decks instead of Planeswalker decks.

It wasn't directed at you, but since the commander precons contain a load of reprints I don't think that is a good comparison either. But the unique cards could be like the unique cards we see in the commander precons. Like the planeswalker decks, just as you say, but then aimed at Brawl instead of supporting a specific planeswalker. I don't know what the power level compares to, but I think the planeswalker decks and their unique cards are weaker than the commander precons, so hopefully it's more like the latter :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 1:13 am 

From one of the Brawl decks... so Roon now has some stiff competition for bant valuetown

And a decent mana rock for those non-G 2-5 color decks:

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 1:37 am 

The signet looks like it will be a staple, considering how many people run the Talisman cycle.

As for the new commander, I am actually really interested. I like running lots of low cost value creatures, and while blink is certainly a way to go here, I think that having just a lot of small creatures and cycling through the deck would be even better.

Greenbelt Rampager and Kor Skyfisher seem spicy.

Current Decks:

Last edited by DarksteelElephant on 2019-Jul-22 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 1:40 am 

Chulane is the perfect Equinaut general. Abe Sargent will be happy.

The article also addresses the point I brought up about Flusterstorm:

Quote:
And finally, we wanted to make sure these cards were aimed at Brawl (or Commander) and not competitive Standard. While there will be plenty of these cards floating around between these decks and the copies people open in Collector Boosters, these are going to be Standard-legal, and our goal was to make cards awesome for Brawl and Commander, not ones intended to tear up the top tables of a Mythic Championship.

That is a good starting point, although I'm not sure something like Flusterstorm or True Name Nemesis was printed intentionally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 1:49 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
That is a good starting point, although I'm not sure something like Flusterstorm or True-Name Nemesis was printed intentionally.

I was trying to find a link, but I kinda remember they were using the Commander decks to print stuff to help out Vintage/Legacy at first because they thought it would help them sell and also it would skip Modern/Standard.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 3:35 am 

Chulane and Aluren seems real fun.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 4:52 am 

kirkusjones wrote:

Yuk. Yeah it does. It’s in all the right colors to make it consistent, too.

Edit: some Llanowar Elves and Intruder Alarm to keep the run going? It seems good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 5:15 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
If this isnt sarcasm, we may have different definitions of fun. Value for days. Fun and interesting, nope.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 6:08 am 

MRHblue wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:
If this isnt sarcasm, we may have different definitions of fun. Value for days. Fun and interesting, nope.

Well, we can both be thankful I play at an LGS far away from you and your playgroup then, right?

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 7:14 am 

Teller of Tales seems like a missed opportunity to print Shahrazad as a legendary creature.

Which uh everyone totally wanted, right? Right?

Karador, Ghost Chieftain: Rebel Elf Ball
Patron of the Kitsune: Foxes are a strong tribal, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 7:34 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:

Yuk. Yeah it does. It’s in all the right colors to make it consistent, too.

Edit: some Llanowar Elves and Intruder Alarm to keep the run going? It seems good.

Even better than Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Tribe.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=233412#p233412

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 7:56 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
But the thing is, these "collector packs" are nothing more than rebranded, slightly different versions of those terrible all foil Alara block packs from 10+ years ago.

:( I thought those boosters were pretty cool. I bought a bunch from my LGS, then some on sale from an online store. Got a foil Karrthus and whatever the 8-mana Bant Angel was called. Wild Nacatl and Bloodbraid Elf too. And a bunch of other neat foils.

I'm looking forward to buying some Collector's Boosters when the set comes out. Terrible as they may be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 8:21 am 

MrMoustache wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:
But the thing is, these "collector packs" are nothing more than rebranded, slightly different versions of those terrible all foil Alara block packs from 10+ years ago.

:( I thought those boosters were pretty cool. I bought a bunch from my LGS, then some on sale from an online store. Got a foil Karrthus and whatever the 8-mana Bant Angel was called. Wild Nacatl and Bloodbraid Elf too. And a bunch of other neat foils.

I'm looking forward to buying some Collector's Boosters when the set comes out. Terrible as they may be.

Don’t worry I think they look cool too. Kirkus is just trying to sound smarter than everyone else here and failing miserably. (Kind of a running theme among the Old Fogeys on this forum)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-22 9:14 am 

Enlighten me on how stating an opinion is me trying to look smart? I don't like foils, especially with how crappy both the foiling process has become (there've been some reports that a lot of M20 foils are barely distinguishable from their non-foil counterparts) and the fact that they curl like crazy. I've been playing since Ice Age, so yes, I'm quite the Fungusaur. Next time I'll make sure to include "in my opinion" to make it crystal clear what the intention of my post is.

Now buzz off sonny before I come back with the hose.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile