Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 6:05 pm

Post subject: Re: This forum needs a massive update
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 1:08 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Hiring someone to do it though, a really fancy site fix-up is a $4,000-$8,000 project (depending on where your web design/developers live). That's not a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, and it could reasonably be paid for with a crowdfunding/advertising combo.

So in terms of time commitment, the question is really, "Does the committee care to put together a funding plan and go hire someone?"

That would be a pretty tall order for an all-volunteer group like the RC, and we don't have enough active users that I think a crowdfunding drive would work. Ads... maybe? Not sure how well that would go either, but I'm not very familiar with the internet advertising business model...

All that said, as someone pointed out, Sheldon did allude to the RC looking to upgrade the site, so maybe patience and a few suggested features are the order of the day?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 1:46 pm 

A friendlier mobile version would be the only real update that this site "needs" in my opinion. And even at that, you can still use the site on your phone without too much trouble.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:18 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
A friendlier mobile version would be the only real update that this site "needs" in my opinion.

See? THIS is why we need a like button!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:31 pm 

Quote:
You indirectly accuse long-time users of being anti-update in a negative way. In other words, you are being needlessly insulting to people you have barely interacted with. A large percentage of your very few posts are of this nature. If you don't like the perception of yourself you have given people, you can work to change that, although that is now going to be an uphill battle.

I suggest growing thicker skin if you took offense to that comment. The real world is a lot tougher than that bud.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:58 pm 

I absolutely know I shouldn't, but I can't help pointing out hypocrisy
sicklyjewel wrote:
I suggest growing thicker skin if you took offense to that comment. The real world is a lot tougher than that bud.

This from someone who's second post
Quote:
Why did people here feel the need to be so pretentious and condescending when responding to RonB?

Amounts to "why are you guys being so mean".

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 3:30 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
That would be a pretty tall order for an all-volunteer group like the RC, and we don't have enough active users that I think a crowdfunding drive would work. Ads... maybe? Not sure how well that would go either, but I'm not very familiar with the internet advertising business model...

So this site doesn't have a ton of active users to crowdfund with, but there's an awful lot of folks out there who play Commander, and Sheldon's one of the highest-profile folks in Magic. I think if he asked, people would answer.

As for ads, CardKingdom, TCGPlayer, and CardHoarder are keeping sites like EDHrec, Deckstats, and tappedout afloat. Why not here?

Bruticus wrote:
A friendlier mobile version would be the only real update that this site "needs" in my opinion. And even at that, you can still use the site on your phone without too much trouble.

I agree that mobile friendly is the priority, but I suspect there's some back-end work needed to make that happen.

And not being mobile friendly is a problem for keeping the community here engaged... people have a very low bar for "too much trouble." (There's some solid marketing research to suggest that if your site is only "ok" for mobile users, about half of them will leave immediately.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 3:31 pm 

specter404 wrote:
I absolutely know I shouldn't, but I can't help pointing out hypocrisy
sicklyjewel wrote:

This from someone who's second post
Quote:
Why did people here feel the need to be so pretentious and condescending when responding to RonB?

Amounts to "why are you guys being so mean".

Ah ya got me. Still, the difference is that I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment about veterans here liking the nostalgic, outdated feel of the forums. On the other hand, the comments towards RonB from other users were blatantly pretentious and designed to belittle his opinion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 3:49 pm 

sicklyjewel wrote:
I would also like to know why I'm being dragged :?

sicklyjewel wrote:

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:31 pm 

Ever since my workplace finally blocked this website, it's been harder to get on here during the day for me. I would absolutely give some kind of mobile version a chance.

And while I know this isn't exactly meant to be a deckbuilding site, I wouldn't mind some more functionality in that regard. It is sometimes difficult to get a feel for somebody's deck when you have to scroll up and down the page constantly. I've tried to format my deck posts in different ways to see what might be the best way, but I'm still not great at it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 4:18 am 

Bruticus wrote:

That would be nice. Browsing works fine on my phone, but typing slows the whole thing down to crawl.

Segrus wrote:
And while I know this isn't exactly meant to be a deckbuilding site, I wouldn't mind some more functionality in that regard.

While there's more going on than deckbuilding, I think a forum about a CCG could need more tools for showing decks than this site does. I'm afraid that anything more than just a card link requires a custom build. In other words, a lot of work.

There's one upside about the current forum: at least it's not very likely someone will just pull the plug. Just see what happened to Wizards' forum or MTGS. Or SCG's forum, years ago.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 8:07 am 

I'm glad it's not just me that has issues here from my phone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 9:07 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Even though it was suggested by a massive troll, there is truth to the idea that this site needs to be refreshed. It's one of my projects for the rest of the year.

I have a few feelers out at the moment, but if any of you have ideas on who might be able to help with such a thing, I'm all ears. Please PM me or email me (firstDOTlastATgmail).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-01 2:43 pm 

For me, the thing that sticks out is that there is a 25 message limit in the inbox. Think about it. 25 messages. It doesn't really matter how big a deal that is, its just a tiny ancient limitation that probably made sense in 2005 but today is just another annoyance that is one of many that add up. I don't care if the forums look like they are from 2005. I care that they are slow to load, that searching post history is a nightmare, that the search function is counterintutive, that old threads that have been dead for months get necroed, all that jazz.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 3:27 am 

DarksteelElephant wrote:
For me, the thing that sticks out is that there is a 25 message limit in the inbox. Think about it. 25 messages. It doesn't really matter how big a deal that is, its just a tiny ancient limitation that probably made sense in 2005 but today is just another annoyance that is one of many that add up. I don't care if the forums look like they are from 2005. I care that they are slow to load, that searching post history is a nightmare, that the search function is counterintutive, that old threads that have been dead for months get necroed, all that jazz.

I think I'd be more worried about the message limit if I got more messages outside of Grixmas.

Shabbaman wrote:
While there's more going on than deckbuilding, I think a forum about a CCG could need more tools for showing decks than this site does. I'm afraid that anything more than just a card link requires a custom build. In other words, a lot of work.

Yeah, additional deckbuilding functionality will take a lot of work. I completely understand why it is the way it is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 4:24 am 

I just think about the cost to maintain. If they add all kinds of bells and whistles but the funding drys up, how did that help? I mean sure we can pretend that money grows on trees and people will just naturally donate or do some type of crowd sourcing, but reality is that the RC doesn't have unlimited time an funds either, forums are dying and the more expensive it is to maintain the more likely this one will get the ax too.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile