Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-16 1:46 am

Post subject: The more I play MTG Arena more I like EDH
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-25 10:19 pm 

A couple weeks ago, a friend told me about how much fun he was having with MTG Arena, I never liked STD but, because its free I decided to try it out.

The graphics are great, the sound is great, the interface is great, it seems it is just as MOL should be.

I started playing and I had a lot of fun with the precons the game gives us for free, for a couple of weeks all you play against are those very same precons with minor variations (people crack some packs and add somethngs, etc.)

But, then, a couple weeks after you start playing you start playing against the real STD decks, so all you will see is the very same 2-3 decks every single time with "fun" themes as "discard your entire hand and mill you to death while I counter/kill everything you have", or "Teferi is here to counter all your stuff and exile the things I cant counter".

I talked then with my friends about this, and perhaps this is exactly the reason why EDH is growing every day, competitive MTG is not really "fun to play" unless we define "fun" only to win.

But after all I like MTG Arena exists, and I hope MOL can be upgraded like arena is and we can play EDH there too

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The more I play MTG Arena more I like EDH
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-26 6:12 am 

I quit arena after 3 days. Nothing to do with the gameplay, it's the addictive nature of the challenges and leveling up, I felt like I was becoming a slave to the system. It's like another game outside the game of mtg, and not one that I like.

I totally enjoy mtgo since its pretty much just the game and a bit of card collecting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-26 8:12 am 

(removed because it double posted for some reason)

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2018-Dec-29 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-26 8:12 am 

I really like Arena, now if I could play EDH or Legacy I would like it even more. I never really liked MTGO, the fact that a booster costs the same as a physical booster just kills it for me now more than ever. Cards are worth crap, but even being able to play Legacy/Vintage isn't worth dealing with the system.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-29 1:45 am 

This is good news! EDH is very difficult to explain the joy of to someone unless they can put in the hours for total Magic played. It took me years of tourney grinding to see what I adore in EDH, and that's simply the act of playing Magic with experience ahead of assured outcomes. Each EDH deck has to be bona fide statement, each play at some point have to have a raw impact.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-02 11:25 am 

For the sake of fairness and balance I gave arena another chance. I found a few things I like, namely I can farm gold to get into draft events, and there has been a free to play pauper event running. Anyone planning to farm gold should read this helpful article ... https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-optimal-on-mtg-arena/?_ga=2.267416526.1315607544.1546369816-1892512991.1530902321

There's still stuff I don't like:

• it demands extra time to play for free
  • the game scene can be a bit confusing (I have skipped my turn by mistake many times, and the emphasis on playing fast combined with hidden card text results in occasional blowouts to on board threats). I think they should move the prompts to a more central position.
  • It's a bit laggy and a bit buggy if you don't restart the game every few hours

Anyway, arena is growing on me.

Offline Profile