Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:20 pm

Post subject: Personal EDH Philosophies
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 12:47 pm 

So besides the philosophies that the Rules Committee put forth, what personal philosophies do you have about EDH and how games should go? Personally, a game you can't really remember or influence in some way isn't much of a game.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Personal EDH Philosophies
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 2:02 pm 

Some cards and strategies allow for much more interactive games than others. Tasigur, the Golden Fang, for example, can get weaker players involved in the game. If your playgroup can stomach them, a few chaos effects really get the table involved. These cards need to be played in conjunction with goodstuff in order for decks to age well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 6:26 pm 

I build decks that I think will be fun, because my enjoyment is primary (otherwise why play?) I try fo avoid cards and strategies that take the fun away from the rest of the table.

That's pretty much it. You can get away with murder if everyone is having a good time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 11:35 pm 

I feel like fun factor has more to do with the symbiosis of each player assembling their own "song of my people". I don't necessarily think that any strategy or archetype should be excluded; but that such things are counterbalanced more by "how" than "what". IE; I like Control decks, so I tend to look for fatties with disruptive effects built into them (the "Big Ass Flyers" principal) to create "natural pressure" so that the game doesn't have to drag past a point where I obtain an optimal position and a terminal advantage. Doing so doesn't require sacrificing anything in terms of power (there's something to be said for the power of "player removal"-) or efficiency; and it creates high tension gamestates that resolve in entertaining ways.

The same can be applied to high aggression, recursion intensive or Stax decktypes; and when thoughtfully done can be suitably entertaining. If further clarification will help; check out Viperion's signature for appropriate quotes.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 12:18 am 

One writer, Jason Alt, promotes building your deck to about 75% power level. I really like optimizing decks, however, I realize I could easily steamroll over other players doing that if I am not careful. As such, rather than building to 75% I like to pick a "75% strategy", as in a not commonly used general, or taking a more commonly used general in a different direction. This leads to my decks being at roughly this 75% power level, without sacrificing the optimization I really like.

Beyond this I've always adhered to a few general theories for multiplayer:
- synergy over raw power: it's very rare for me to play cards just because they are good, but they will get in if they synergize with the rest of the deck and you'll have better draws in the late game
- if you're playing with a "gentlemanly" group: skimp a little on the land count as they're bound to not take full advantage of a mana screw
- try to hide as much functionality as possible in lands: mass LD is frowned upon in such "gentlemanly" groups, I really like to have man lands in my decks for example
- aim for the long game: I may not have a strong plan early game, but again counting on "gentlemanly" opponents I may very well get away with that, however you can pretty much count on me having a plan to take over the game if it runs long
- play politics/diplomacy even beyond the current game: also known as influencing the meta game, I will carefully craft a reputation such as that I will come for you if you come for me if I can (discouraging players from just hitting me when they can, supporting "gentlemanly" behavior), I've even gone so far as to let Magic games influence other games played with the same people and vise versa

Though these theories may not look like it, I always try to encourage fun and be a pleasant player to have at the table.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Last edited by pi on 2018-Oct-17 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 12:22 am 

I'd rather win than lose, but I'd rather lose a fun game than win a boring one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 5:51 am 

That is a good question. Also a tough one. I've thought about this for a few days, and I can't seem to come up with a simple answer. Here's the best I can come up with:

"Win, lose, or draw; try to make every game unique."

and

"In the best games, no one remembers who wins."

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-18 6:54 am 

Our main group's philo is "Bring what you have and we'll deal."
We had one player show up with a Selvala combo deck, so after one time it worked we just focus-fired him.
Our regular group has one who runs Jokulhaups, Obliterate, Sadistic Sacrament, another on tuned Pope, my randomness, a guy that loves random effects and coin flips.
The varied styles make sure that no one strategy overwhlems? Ramping too much? Lose all your lands or take a Back to Basics.
Game getting clogged up? Thieves' Auction or Warp World.

We don't necessarily "play memorable games" and instead aim for "memorable swings", where the objective is still winning but preferably winnning with a massive steamroll on the entire table where everyone involved is in power-gamer/Timmy ecstasy at the end. We'll also occasionally do super bad plays, like walking into a Mana Drain with an 8-12 mana spell just to see how MD's caster does with his mana.

We're more "Embrace the Chaos, but call Donblas for protections first," and then letting chips fall where they may.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-18 8:37 am 

I follow the "build casually, play competitively" mindset - I'd rather build a silly deck (I've did coinflip.dec before the Battlebond coinflip guys made it actually somewhat effective and I actually have a tribal fish deck... not Merfolk but literal fish, like Islandfish Jasconius and Hammerhead Shark) and try to win than build a power deck and possibly have it be too easy or wind up in a "who can combo first" arms race.

Also I believe in putting your money where your mouth is - it annoys me to no end when I see people complain about card X, and then run it in every deck that supports it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-19 10:48 pm 

I define casual (one of MtG's most controversial terms) as:

Quote:
A meta or environment where players put the "fun" of the group ahead of winning or personal enjoyment.

This, of course, implies that casual is different for every group and meta. However, with that in mind, I (like Sid and many above) build to my personal "casual" then just try to play the deck as well as I can. For me, I avoid "goodstuff" unless it is extremely on-theme (e.g. my only deck with Rite of Replication is my Halfdane Shapeshifter tribal). I also tend to build to tribal themes (~90% of my 40ish decks are tribal - but I haven't done the math yet), which helps avoid "goodstuff" or using the same cards in deck after deck.

In game, I try to practice good threat-recognition. Especially on MTGO there are a lot of newer players, so I tend to announce to the room when a combo-piece drops (which seems to anger the combo players online who prey upon people that don't recognize more obscure combos (e.g. Dovescape and Guile). If one player is significantly behind and I have something to help, I usually do. Sometimes the "help" is self-serving (such as Blaze of Glory to "help" them block), and sometimes it is something as simple as sharing a offering (such as Intellectual Offering) or land-fetch (e.g. Fertilid) their way.

In the end, we are all here to have fun - we all just have to remember other players' fun also matters.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile