Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-16 1:42 am

Post subject: Re: Presented without comment
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 7:46 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Had a Stomping Grounds (among other stuff) in the GY. Cracked a fetchland. As he was shuffling the deck, he grabbed said Grounds and put it on the top of the library. Then he pulled it out of the library as the target for the fetchland. Presumably what happened was he had accidentally dredged all the Stomping Grounds in the deck despite needing one for whatever play he wanted to make.

Tl;dr: Snuck a card from his GY to his library as he was shuffling it.

Also, not that it's particularly relevant, but what card did the other player play on his turn? Either it's something I don't recognize or there was a glare and I couldn't read it.

Wow, I see it. Thank you. So the spread-out area on the player's right was his graveyard. He puts that wooded foothills he cracked over there, then since he needed to search for his Stomping Grounds...

... he picks it up from his graveyard (right hand) at the same instant as picking up his library (left hand). Then like you say, he just keeps it held there and "searches" his library for the card he picked up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 12:23 pm 

Update from the store where it happened:

Quote:
On Saturday Oct 13th, during our Modern event, Dan Lanthier was caught manipulating his deck during a match. After the event, the incident was reviewed by the owner and a local Level 2 judge and he was DQ'ed from the event. A full report of the incident has been put forward by us to the DCI and WOTC of the incident. We also contacted all players involved in matches against Dan Lanthier and provided them with the correct prize based on where they would have finished.

The behavior and actions exhibited are unacceptable to anyone at the Wizard's Tower and will not be tolerated. Wizard's Tower always strives and works towards creating a safe and fun environment for all staff and customers in our store. This incident was not representative of this and we have given a lifetime ban to Dan Lanthier from playing any events at our store.

We will always work with our community and players to provide the safest and best environment for players to play the games they love.

We appreciate all of your support in helping to build our gaming community.

Dave Tellier (Owner) and Joey Hoffer (General Manager)
Wizard's Tower

Will be interesting to see what the DCI does, if anything

Edited to add: now that someone has actually told me his name, I feel obligated to point out that he is an EX-Canadian Champion, not the CURRENT Canadian Champion. My apologies to whoever currently holds that position.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 1:13 pm 

What I hate about this particular cheat, and similar cheats like the Explore cheats (people have tried them on me at an FNM level)- is that the player purposefully has a disheveled graveyard to obfuscate what he was doing. Without this footage, even if caught; this individual is trying to create a degree of deniability. In similar situations where people play Explore to try and peel 2 cards; I've literally had to have a TO count the total number of cards in play, the number of cards played which draw cards, and weight them against the number of turns taken. The last time that happened, the other player had skimmed an extra card 3 TIMES, before I compared our hands, graveyards, and boardstate. Because it was just an FNM, the TO could only give him a gameloss and a warning that if he did it again; he's get dropped completely.

Moral of the story- this crap is typical; and the players who do it aren't as clever as they imagine themselves. The only reason I caught it, is because I was taught to card count while playing Black Jack when I was a young child- so in MtG, I'm always counting the number of land, handsizes, graveyard etc.

EDIT: Watching that stream, looking for scummy things that he also did.
I. He preemptively cuts his deck into 4 piles
II. In game 2 against UW, the other player said before mulligans that he wanted to be on the draw. After they both mulliganed, he proceeded to tell the other play that it was his turn.
III. His boardstate is constantly unkempt. Numerous times in the stream, he reorganizes his graveyard in such a way that Faithless Looting is hidden underneath another card, even though he's splaying his graveyard. On more than one occasion he forgets to discard to Faithless Looting
IV. In one game he says "I forgot to discard to Faithless Looting" while playing Conflagrate, and after discarding the 2 cards, still declares 10 points of cumulative damage (when he could have only maxed out for 5- because if he discarded to Faithless Looting, he would have had a 5 card hand)- by waffling halfway through and saying "no, 1 point to Jace, 7 to you, right?" WHILE THE GUY IS PUTTING HIS JACE INTO THE GRAVEYARD. Then he forces him to take the combat damage that he said was for Jace. His language is constantly dishonest; and throughout that entire game, he tries to screw with his opponent's memory.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile