Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:19 pm

Post subject: Build a Combo with Beamsplitter Mage
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 5:38 am 
EDH Rules Committee

There has to be something here:

Beamsplitter Mage + Mirrorweave + ?

Obviously, you're in Jeskai at this point, but there has to be something wild here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Build a Combo with Beamsplitter Mage
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 6:01 am 

It seems like you want to look through the Ink-treader Nephilim and Zada, Hedron Grinder lists to find the best-ofs. Something like one of the token-making, copy effects (Heat Shimmer, Cackling Counterpart, Rite of Replication), plus one of the wisp cantrips. Unless I'm missing something, Beamsplitter seems way more limited than Ink-treader, Zada, or Mirrorwing Dragon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 10:40 am 

Beamsplitter Mage doesn't seem too combo-riffic. You get one copy of the spell and only if it only targets Beamsplitter, you don't cast the copy, just put a copy on the stack... it looks like they worked pretty hard to make it not combo. And Mirrorweave wouldn't be that exciting... it would just make everything a BSM... it woudn't cause chain reactions or anything, because of how BSM is worded.

OK, how's this - Target BSM (and another thing you have) with Withstand Death, then cast Arcbond on BSM and something else, then damage one of them. Hopefully the other creature has lifelink so you don't die before your opponents.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 3:42 pm 

Quote:
...that targets only Beamsplitter Mage...

Arcbond won't work.

You get precisely ONE copy of each spell, that targets ONLY the mage and that copy has to target another of YOUR creatures.
Best thing you can do is pump up two attackers instead of only one.

Or is there a spell like "Target creature gets X. Each opponent/player gets Y?"

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 7:49 pm 

Unless you do some instant-speed shenanigans before everything becomes a BSM, I'm not sure if there's a lot you can really do here.

Actually, I'm not really sure there's anything you could do here that couldn't be done as/more easily with just Mirrorweave alone.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 9:11 pm 

I can't think of much space here either. Beamsplitter Mage just means whatever you'd do to one creature, you can instead do to Beamsplitter Mage in addition to that one creature. It looks like a limited combo maker for cards like Maximize Velocity and Maximize Altitude and Fervent Strike. Beamsplitter Mage isn't terribly remarkable on its own though, so either I'd be fine just casting it on the first creature alone, or I'd use this card slot to play Zada instead and target all the things.

Maybe you just want the effect on one more body—you get a second target for Abnormal Endurance and Retraction Helix—but I can't think of a good reason to not just have Zada instead.

He doesn't contribute to instants and sorceries cast so I don't get to contribute to prowess, storm counts, etc.

I'd have Beamsplitter Mage if I wanted to double my chances of finding a card sorta like Zada and I had a bunch of cantrips.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-27 7:54 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Arcbond won't work.

I feel like you didn't read my whole post, because I recognized that you only get one copy, and pointed out that Mirrorweave is kinda pointless here.

My idea is that you make Beamsplitter and something else indestructible first, then cast Arcbond. The Arcbond is copied, targetting the same creature that you made indestructible. Now, for the rest of the turn, if either of them is damaged, that damage is dealt to everything else, including the other arcbonded creature, setting up an infinite loop of death. If the second creature happens to have lifelink, you should survive longer than your opponents and thus win.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-27 12:32 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Quote:
...that targets only Beamsplitter Mage...

Arcbond won't work.

You get precisely ONE copy of each spell, that targets ONLY the mage and that copy has to target another of YOUR creatures.

I think Arcbond might work...

I have, for example, Sage of the Inward Eye and Beamsplitter mage on the battlefield.
1) Cast Sheltering Light targeting the Sage and BSM
2) Sage and BSM gain lifelink and indestructible
3) Cast Arcbond targeting Sage and BSM
- **until end of turn, if they are dealt damage they deal damage to each other creature and player**
4) Deal damage to either BSM or Sage (however you want) such as Thornbite Staff
- Sage takes damage, Arcbond makes the Sage deal damage to everything else, including BSM
- Sage deals damage to BSM and Arcbond makes BSM deal damage to everything else. Including Sage
- Repeat until you win

So basically you need:
Card 1) Beamsplitter Mage
Card 2) A creature with lifelink (or can get it)
Card 3) Arcbond
Card 4) A way to give Indestructible
Card 5*) A way to deal damage (or be blocked/blocking an attack, so it doesn't need to be a fifth card)

Four to Five card instant win, if somebody wants to confirm my hypothesis.

Edit: Ninjad

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-28 3:17 am 

Chorus of Might is the first thing that springs to mind. Might of Alara and Might of the Masses as well.

Fatal Frenzy?

Seems like a pretty limited card to be honest.

Offline Profile