It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:18 pm

Post subject: Choose how you lose deckbuilding philosophy
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 9:16 am 

Mental exercise first.

1) You can build a deck to beat anything
2) You can never beat everything
3) Players in a playgroup tweak their decks to be better against what they face
THUS
C) Your deck build can be used to deliberately punish decks you dislike, by being weak to strategies that don't annoy you

Do y'all agree with this reasoning?

I've made a couple changes on this principle. I don't like fast combo wins, I don't like staxx, I like midrange and big-board control. So I run cheap instant speed interaction (the seals are particularly good), a few group-hug effects so people don't stumble, and I've cut waaaaaaaaaaay down on boardwipes because they punish midrange but don't really hurt combo or staxx.

As a play style concession I hit the combo decks first and frequently unless I have political reasons not to.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Choose how you lose deckbuilding philosophy
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 11:46 am 

I don't really object to your line of reasoning, but I'd rather just not play against things like Stax that piss me off and have my deck be effective against decks I'd actually want to play against.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Choose how you lose deckbuilding philosophy
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-10 11:52 am 

That's the way to go in my opinion also. Being as versatile as possible should always be the prime objective even if 100% is impossible and by punishing strategies you dislike you will actively shape your meta. Let's face it a ton of stupidly effective strategies are only effective as long as there is no focused opposition and given said opposition is effective enough they'll sooner or later realize a plan B being desirable thereby weakening plan A and evening things out.

Offline Profile