Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-20 1:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Guilds of Ravnica
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-30 1:29 pm 

No cards to really speak of here, but the mechanics have been revealed. Without sample cards, though...

Dimir: Surveil. A scry variant that puts "rejected" cards into the graveyard, rather than the bottom of the library.
Izzet: Jump-start. This one's a flashback variant (although I'm not sure if the card is exiled or not). The cost doesn't change, but you do have to discard a card in the process (ideally something else with jump-start).
Golgari: Undergrowth. Not much known about this (might be a precept rather than a keyword), but it does care about creatures in your graveyard.
Boros: Mentor. Whenever a creature with mentor attacks alongside another creature with lesser power, the latter creature gets a +1/+1 counter. (My Jeskai combat manipulation deck plan is eager to see how this unfolds. I can probably remove Gleam of Battle for something more realistically costed after all.) No real idea how it interacts with multiple lesser-power creatures attacking.
Selesnya: Convoke. You probably remember this from before.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Guilds of Ravnica
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 1:37 am 

Skyknight wrote:

Dimir: Surveil. A scry variant that puts "rejected" cards into the graveyard, rather than the bottom of the library.

Seems pretty good.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 3:35 am 

I will confess that I was expecting/hoping that the Boros mechanic would be provoke. Even if the name and conceit (a soldier rushing to engage a creature target, rather than an opponent or planeswalker target) conflict a bit.

Still, provoke was a Naya keyword in Legions. Maybe Gruul could get it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 1:36 pm 

With the recent batch of spoiled cards, we have three clarifications:

1. Jump-start cards exile themselves when cast from the graveyard.
2. A mentor creature will give its token to one target creature with lesser power.
3. Undergrowth is indeed a precept rather than a keyword. It signifies that the card cares about how many creatures are in your graveyard.

Anyway, here's what we've got:

--Shocklands are returning. So much for something new or a full Nimbus Maze cycle...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 1:39 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 2:07 pm 

They never really do a whole lot with the Boros design space, do they?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 8:34 pm 

I'm confused. Where are the second and third sets for Dominaria? Why are we already getting GoR previews? What did I miss?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 10:33 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
I'm confused. Where are the second and third sets for Dominaria? Why are we already getting GoR previews? What did I miss?

Not sure if serious or not, but Imma err on the side of honesty here....

Generally speaking, there is now only 1 set per plane, and then the story moves on. There are no such things as blocks any more, and draft is now always a single set. Standard is still two years worth of cards, rotating every year (I think...)

Having said that, Ravnica is the setting for the next three sets. The first two will be five guilds each, but the third one is apparently something different they haven't told us about yet.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 2:47 am 

Viperion wrote:
Treamayne wrote:

Not sure if serious or not, but Imma err on the side of honesty here....

Generally speaking, there is now only 1 set per plane, and then the story moves on. There are no such things as blocks any more, and draft is now always a single set. Standard is still two years worth of cards, rotating every year (I think...)

Having said that, Ravnica is the setting for the next three sets. The first two will be five guilds each, but the third one is apparently something different they haven't told us about yet.

The 1 set per plane isn't entirely accurate, they can spend whatever amount of sets they want on a plane. Whether that's 1, 2, or 3 sets depends on what R&D feels they need to explore it.

Background on this:

Metamorphosis (August 2014) abolished the long-standing block structure. Old: one block + a core set each year, where a block is three sets on the same storyline. New: Two blocks a year, where a block is two sets on the same storyline; no core set. Khans of Tarkir was the last three-set block in this structure, and Origins was the last core(-ish) set. Battle for Zendikar, Shadows over Innistrad, Kaladesh, Amonkhet, and Ixalan were produced under the new process; Ixalan is the final block to follow this process.

Metamorphosis 2.0 (June 2017) made further changes, after R&D had time to observe how Metamorphosis "1.0" worked in practice (some good parts, some bad parts). We go back to three story sets & one core set each year, but the concept of a block is abolished: Wizards is not committed to spending any fixed amount of sets on one plane or story. Some planes need only one set (and two would be stretching things too far), some need two or a full three, and Wizards is free to spend any arbitrary number of sets on a single plane or story as it chooses. Dominaria was the first story set produced under this methology, then Core 2019 was the first core set. Dominaria has only one set because that's what they wanted to give it, Ravnica is three because that's what they wanted to give Ravnica, the next plane after Ravnica could have 1, 2, or 3 sets.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 12:53 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
the next plane after Ravnica could have 1, 2, or 3 sets.

...or 5, or 10. It's not limited to three (but it's fairly unlikely they'd ever go past three, anyway).

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 1:05 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
The 1 set per plane isn't entirely accurate, they can spend whatever amount of sets they want on a plane. Whether that's 1, 2, or 3 sets depends on what R&D feels they need to explore it.
Which was exactly why I used the phrase "Generally speaking...."

Kaladesh, Amonkhet, Ixalan,* and Dominaria were all one-set expansions. That will be the norm from here on out (until they change their mind again) but a plane like Ravnica which can't really support 10 guilds in one set will be an exception (and personally I'm betting on the collapse of the Guildpact and that the third set, while taking place on Ravnica, won't have any guild things at all)

*Ahem. Nothing to see here

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Sep-02 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 2:59 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Kaladesh, Amonkhet, Ixalan, and Dominaria were all one-set expansions.
Amonkhet and Ixalan had 2 sets, right?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 3:07 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
Viperion wrote:
Kaladesh, Amonkhet, Ixalan, and Dominaria were all one-set expansions.
Amonkhet and Ixalan had 2 sets, right?

Ummm...yes? (That's what I get for posting without checking. I haven't been keeping up)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 4:30 pm 

Kaladesh block has two sets: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Block

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 7:43 pm 

Right, Dominaria is the only time in years a plane has had only one story set then been done, not counting core sets including Origins. Blocks from BFZ through to Ixalan (inclusive) were all developed under the Metamorphosis 1.0 methodology and were each 2-set blocks.

Dominaria, M19, and Guilds of Ravnica are the first sets developed according to Metamorphosis 2.0 so we don't have much precedent yet for how they'll typically operate. We don't know quite yet how many sets they'll generally spend on a plane, but I'm interested to find out how it works out.

Willbender wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
the next plane after Ravnica could have 1, 2, or 3 sets.

...or 5, or 10. It's not limited to three (but it's fairly unlikely they'd ever go past three, anyway).

All true! I guess they could also realistically likely reach 4 sets in one plane if they do something like Lorwyn/Shadowmoor again.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2018-Sep-02 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next