Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:21 pm

Post subject: Re: Writing a letter
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-05 9:36 pm 

specter404 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

By all means, post your letter, send it to Hasbro, WOTC, the president and the pope if you like, just don't be surprised when you get nothing in response. You are a snowflake, you cannot move a boulder.

This snowflake got the late game studio Pandemic to go back on not including an element from the first mercenaries game into the second game by writing a letter that amounted to about five pages. so yea, maybe I am naive in thinking that I can get answers with just one letter but I'm going to take this chance.

If you read the most recent post of the letter, I'm being more clear on what information I'd like to know. Hopefully once and if those questions are answered then I'll go from there on attempting to get the wider community to agree on an action.

The part with the strike thru is an opinion but one I've seen shared by many posters all over the net, but I'm not sure if I should include it or not.

as an aside, another letter i wrote in combination with an email to Phillip Morris was actually used as evidence in a civil suit since they contradicted each other. lol

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-06 6:55 am 

I wouldn't mind if they printed gold bordered versions of cards on the reserve list since they wouldn't be tournament legal but could be casual legal. But I don't think Wizards will do that. I think they're still worried about the impact it would have on the secondary market.

I was playing when Chronicles was printed. I remember there being a ton of speculation about what might be reprinted and people being wary of trading for a card they thought might be reprinted or in a rush to trade away cards they thought were being reprinted.

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2018-Sep-07 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-06 10:15 am 

trappedslider wrote:
This snowflake got the late game studio Pandemic to go back on not including an element from the first mercenaries game into the second game by writing a letter that amounted to about five pages. so yea, maybe I am naive in thinking that I can get answers with just one letter but I'm going to take this chance.

Detouring from the main topic for a moment...If true that is certainly an interesting story. Just so I understand, there was an element missing from the first game, you wrote a letter effectively asking for this element to be included and in the sequel, it was added, is that about right?

I'm curious how you know that it was your letter that overwhelmingly turned the tide in the developers' minds. I don't know anything about that particular franchise, but it is not uncommon for a developer to review a game they produced and add things into the sequel that people in the community want.

It's also not really an analogous situation. I'm guessing you didn't ask Pandemic to put themselves in serious financial and legal jeopardy unless the element you were asking for was extraordinarily controversial.

Also just to be clear, you should send the letter. It can't hurt anything so there's no reason not to. I just think the bulk of efforts towards the eventual removal of the RL should be focussed elsewhere.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-07 1:59 am 

Celerus wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they printed gold bordered versions of cards on the reserve list since they wouldn't be tournament legal but could be casual legal. But I don't think Wizards will do that. I think they're still worried about the impact it would have on the secondary market.

I was playing when Chronicles was printed. I remember there being a ton of speculation about what might be reprinted and people being wary of trading for a card they thought might be reprinted or in a rush to trade away cards they thought were being reprinted.

Prior to Chronicles being printed I was collecting all the legends from the set Legends. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for the store I traded them to, just before Chronicles was printed I trade them all for a Beta Mox Ruby, and Unlimited Mox Pearl, and Unlimited Blaze of Glory, if memory serves. In general, I think trading was more cutthroat back then. Or perhaps it's the same, but card price information is more readily available so it's harder to cheat people.

I also narrowly avoided trading a bunch of those same legends to a guy who was going to trade me an Alpha Cyclopean Tomb because he asserted that since there was no printed mana cost I could play it for zero mana. Fortunately someone commented that you could also argue the cost was infinite so I backed out of the trade.

I also remember a guy who played with a Beta Icy Manipulator and tried to convince his opponent that he could use it multiple times because it didn't say tap. The same guy in one of my first games, convinced me that the Chaos Orb he used against me destroyed the top card of my library because it landed on it. Perhaps he was just an anomalous jerk.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I have tons of funny stories from magic's halcyon days.

I think you should start a new thread where us grumpy old men can reminisce about the good ol' days and complain about having to hard cast Force of Nature or how oppressive Royal Assassin was. :D :D

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-07 10:13 am 

Celerus wrote:
In general, I think trading was more cutthroat back then. Or perhaps it's the same, but card price information is more readily available so it's harder to cheat people.

You could say that. My first week playing, the same guy that helped me understand banding (which is still my favorite keyword ever) then traded his Mesa Pegasus for my Vesuvan Doppelganger because:
a) I wanted more banding
b) I didn't understand the wording on Doppelganger (which came in my Starter... when they still had those)
c) I didn't even know rarities existed (no core set icons in those days, and no color to expansion icons) and had no idea about prices.

scatteredsun wrote:
I think you should start a new thread where us grumpy old men can reminisce about the good ol' days and complain about having to hard cast Force of Nature or how oppressive Royal Assassin was.

I was partial to War Barge and Merfolk Assassin

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-07 6:14 pm 

Celerus wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they printed gold bordered versions of cards on the reserve list since they wouldn't be tournament legal but could be casual legal.

What does 'casual legal' mean? Casual players can use proxies if their play mates accept that. Similarly, gb cards are already 'not cards' so your playgroup can tell you to use real cards if you brought them to the table.

I'm not opposed to the idea fyi (not that i think it will happen either), merely curious how such a term could be defined.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 5:49 am 

specter404 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Detouring from the main topic for a moment...If true that is certainly an interesting story. Just so I understand, there was an element missing from the first game, you wrote a letter effectively asking for this element to be included and in the sequel, it was added, is that about right?

I'm curious how you know that it was your letter that overwhelmingly turned the tide in the developers' minds. I don't know anything about that particular franchise, but it is not uncommon for a developer to review a game they produced and add things into the sequel that people in the community want.

It's also not really an analogous situation. I'm guessing you didn't ask Pandemic to put themselves in serious financial and legal jeopardy unless the element you were asking for was extraordinarily controversial.

Also just to be clear, you should send the letter. It can't hurt anything so there's no reason not to. I just think the bulk of efforts towards the eventual removal of the RL should be focussed elsewhere.

I honestly don't recall the finer points, other than I wrote a letter,they wrote back and stuff happen.

But we're jumping the gun, as it currently stands the letter's current aim is still just to get info and in that respect, how does it look and should i remove the line about players being priced out of formats?

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 6:12 am 

The new letter looks pretty good. For the crossed-out section I'd lead with the punch: "It has also lead to players seeking out counterfeit cards since some formats of the game are outside the budget of the average player."

My concern is the request at the end:

"What I am asking for you to do is to find out why the policy continues to exist or at the very least why no one is allowed to answer the question of why it’s still around. Another question I would like the answer to is: Under what circumstances would the reprint policy be modified again or even abolished?"

The first sentence is just a request for them to find out, not to do anything further like tell you what the answer is. Requesting answers to both is a fair request though.

Given the policy of not talking about it they may simply just, you know, not talk about it: "We can't respond safely to this letter", someone decides, and into the shredder it goes. But I'm sure you're aware of that. If you're so inclined and you have anything in mind, you may want to make an actionable request that doesn't involve replying with any answers to you.

My thinking is given the letter in its current state, you won't get a response (or may get a canned "we don't talk about the reserved list" response), but best case is it gets some new blood in the organisation (the people receiving and reading letters) wondering why they do have that thing and it shakes some good things out of it invisibly a year or two from now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 6:25 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
The new letter looks pretty good. For the crossed-out section I'd lead with the punch: "It has also lead to players seeking out counterfeit cards since some formats of the game are outside the budget of the average player."
that does sound better and I changed it
Quote:

"What I am asking for you to do is to find out why the policy continues to exist or at the very least why no one is allowed to answer the question of why it’s still around. Another question I would like the answer to is: Under what circumstances would the reprint policy be modified again or even abolished?"

The first sentence is just a request for them to find out, not to do anything further like tell you what the answer is. Requesting answers to both is a fair request though.

Given the policy of not talking about it they may simply just, you know, not talk about it: "We can't respond safely to this letter", someone decides, and into the shredder it goes. But I'm sure you're aware of that. If you're so inclined and you have anything in mind, you may want to make an actionable request that doesn't involve replying with any answers to you.

I got nothing in mind

Quote:
My thinking is given the letter in its current state, you won't get a response (or may get a canned "we don't talk about the reserved list" response), but best case is it gets some new blood in the organisation (the people receiving and reading letters) wondering why they do have that thing and it shakes some good things out of it invisibly a year or two from now.

I think I should also change "has been willing to speak" to "has been able to speak" because it's clear they are willing to speak about the RL and then maybe close with "Thank you for taking the time and energy to answer my letter, I look forward to getting a response." or something along those lines?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 9:28 pm 

trappedslider wrote:
Quote:

I got nothing in mind

I would go with something like:

Quote:
If possible, could you please share with me, or the community, why the MtG Reserve List is still maintained? If that is not possible, would you please share with the community why employees are not allowed to discuss the Reserve List? Finally, would you please share with the community those circumstances, if any, that would allow the Reserve List to be removed or further modified? In all cases, if a direct reply to this letter is not preferred, then a Public Relations statement to the MtG community would be acceptable as long as it addresses these concerns.

Thank you for your time, patience and assistance. Have a great day.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 11:27 pm 

I like that passage, Treamayne. Looks good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 8:38 am 

As it now stands
my name here and I am writing you regarding the actions of the subsidiary company Wizards of the Coast. The actions in question are regarding a policy that is turning out to be detrimental to players of the collectible card game: “Magic: The Gathering”. The policy in question is entitled “OFFICIAL REPRINT POLICY” and I have enclosed the policy in full, so what follows is the gist of the policy

This policy has been in place for coming on close to twenty-five years. The policy has now become another form of investment for those who could afford or be lucky enough to have gotten ahold of cards that have in some cases become equal to the value of some cars at retail price. It has also lead to players seeking out counterfeit cards since some formats of the game are outside the budget of the average player. This I believe was never the intended outcome of the policy. The policy itself has under gone a number of changes most recently in 2011. No one at Wizards of the Coast has been able to speak to why it is still around. If it were simply due to any Non-disclosure agreements the fans and players would understand but we aren’t even told that. I would also like to point out that even the lead designer a Mr. Mark Rosewater has spoken out about his dislike of the policy a number of times in public. As have a number of commercial entities. If possible, could you please share with me, or the community, why the Magic: the Gathering Reserve List is still maintained? If that is not possible, would you please share with the community why employees are not allowed to discuss the Reserve List? Finally, would you please share with the community those circumstances, if any that would allow the Reserve List to be removed or further modified? In all cases, if a direct reply to this letter is not preferred, then a Public Relations statement to the Magic: the Gathering community would be acceptable as long as it addresses these concerns.

Thank you for your time, patience and assistance. Have a great day.

The policy stuff is included due to where it's headed, Hasbro's legal department.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 10:49 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Celerus wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they printed gold bordered versions of cards on the reserve list since they wouldn't be tournament legal but could be casual legal.

What does 'casual legal' mean? Casual players can use proxies if their play mates accept that. Similarly, gb cards are already 'not cards' so your playgroup can tell you to use real cards if you brought them to the table.

I'm not opposed to the idea fyi (not that i think it will happen either), merely curious how such a term could be defined.

An interesting thing I noticed about the gold bordered duals: A collectors edition Bayou is currently selling for around the same price as an unlimited Bayou cost this time last year. I would love if WOTC printed a collectors edition vintage cube.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 7:36 pm 

I'm going to send this out this week..more than likely Friday

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-17 2:38 am 

I stuck it in the mail this morning.

Offline Profile