Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-24 4:25 pm

Post subject: Do new players care about reprints?
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 7:33 am 

Here's a thought, do new players care about reprints?

When I started playing all cards were equally "new". I was super excited for Presence of Gond, Karametra, God of Harvests, Horde of Notions, and Kiki-jiki Mirror Breaker when I was new. As a new player any card was exciting to me, and the idea of an expensive card being printed again to be more affordable didn't have any significance to me.

I remember the hype around fetchlands during Khans. It felt like most of the people who were excited were established players looking for copy 4-8 of the staples they want to put in multiple decks. The people who I hang out with that were hyped for Crucible of Worlds were going for copies 5-12, talking about how they were gonna keep them for when they got pricey again.

Has that been anybody else's experience? Do you see reprints getting as much interest as new cards?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Do new players care about reprints?
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 9:24 am 

I didn't care about reprints as a new player, but I did care about a lot of things they did for me:
- lots of very fun cards were reprints.
- I had access to simple stock functions like Negate or Doomblade which wouldn't exist if reprints didn't happen.
- awesome old cards I wanted to use were often affordable because of reprints helping keep the price down.

I cared about reprints specifically as a quality later when I understood they did those things for me.

I think my specific "caring about reprints now" moment was when I noticed there were old cards I liked, but they had bad art or older frames that I didn't like, but it didn't matter because they were also available with much better art in newer frames because of being reprinted in recent sets.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-29 10:22 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
I think my specific "caring about reprints now" moment was when I noticed there were old cards I liked, but they had bad art or older frames that I didn't like, but it didn't matter because they were also available with much better art in newer frames because of being reprinted in recent sets.

You’re a monster.

That said, I like how reprints drive the prices of some of the cards I started on down to the point I can afford the originals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-29 11:04 am 

Well I started in the olden tymes...so I guess I liked reprints because I didn't have to pay a mint to get a Serra Angel or Juggernaut or whatnot.

As to Commander, I don't think a new player just coming in cares about them. As they begin improving their decks (if they choose to), they'll want some cool stuff reprinted, perhaps.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-30 3:07 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

You’re a monster.

+1. I started playing in 1994. I prefer original "bad" art and old frames. They have more of a fantasy feel to me. Plus nostalgia :)

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-30 6:51 am 

Celerus wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

You’re a monster.

+1. I started playing in 1994. I prefer original "bad" art and old frames. They have more of a fantasy feel to me. Plus nostalgia :)

I started around M13 & Return to Ravnica so I don't have any particular attachment to old frames. Aren't y'all happy we're not all competing to buy the same prints though? ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-30 10:14 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Celerus wrote:

I started around M13 & Return to Ravnica so I don't have any particular attachment to old frames. Aren't y'all happy we're not all competing to buy the same prints though? ;)

I am. It’s not that I mind the new frames, but I’d never even consider playing allied painlands except the Ice Age versions. Too much sentimental value.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-30 10:54 am 

I started playing around Shadowmoor/Eventide, but most of my card buying was much older stuff (Urza's block, Ice Age, Homelands, 4ed, just anything and everything really) due to the local game store near my college selling all loose commons at $0.10, all uncommons at $0.25, and rares they'd look up. Helped when you're a poor college student.

Did I care about reprints back then? Well...it's complicated. The group I played with was immediately competitive, at least as competitive as you can get when you're on poor college student funds. It became pretty important, however, to study up on competitive strategies to get a leg up for the next game. So I had to be picky about what I got and I quickly picked up on what I should be looking for. Therefore, in a sense, yeah I did care about reprints--reprints meant I had more of an opportunity to get my hands on some good cards. That being said, I wasn't haunting forums and game store awnings to complain about a lack of reprints. I took whatever I could get.

All that being said, I feel like this thread is sort of trying to suggest the Commander precons are only really for new players and that it doesn't really matter what's in them as long as those players are having fun. This is...well, it isn't untrue, exactly, but I really think when it comes to Commander that WOTC shouldn't necessarily shy away from making powerful cards available to new players. Those players may not understand a particular card is powerful or a reprint, but they'll appreciate it later on if they end up playing Magic for a long time. That doesn't mean I think just any powerful card can be included in these precons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-06 6:48 am 

This seems kindof misguided to me- as in, the OP and title are suggesting a through-line between new players not being able to understand the value of reprints and the idea that this should effect reprinting is absolutely silly.

When Khans dropped-Many of the Onslaught Fetches pulled more than 80-100 a copy; and so anyone who began playing between say, Ravnica: City of Guilds and Theros- the availability of these cards dried up, and the price for a playset only continued to rise until that announcement. Observe, also how ridiculously conservative Wizards has been with the Zendikar fetches- and how this hasn't stopped them from blasting well beyond that magic $20-a-piece mark.Most players I knew maybe had 1 of any Onslaught fetch they'd acquired several years ago- if any at all when the Khans announcement dropped. We were just ecstatic to get to play with a little bit of power that had become unobtainable if your ambition wasn't to participate in a Legacy tournament with a deck priced around the same investment as a used car.

But this belies the bigger issue with this. "New player" requires a relative context. First week? Ofcourse they wouldn't know what reprints are bomb, mana is probably still confusing. First year? Ofcourse they wouldn't care about reprints- if they're an average player; they still haven't grasped many concepts like creature size being relatively unimportant unless you have cards that interact with it- or it's able to be pushed out for negligible amounts of mana (Or even that blocking is usually a losing position.) Like, where do we draw this arbitrary line on the learning curve, where it dawns on someone that good reprints are awesome to the EDH experience?

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-06 11:42 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
Do you see reprints getting as much interest as new cards?

Well, that depends on the reprints/new cards in question. WotC has done a lot of bad reprinting (exhibit A: The recent Masters sets where you pay $10 a pack to probably get a card that was still a bulk rare), but other reprints are really exciting - Doubling Season in Battlebond is an example of one that pumped me up.

Older players may have more perspective on the way the secondary market flows, and newer players are likely to not even know a card is a reprint vs. being new - but I don't see how that's particularly relevant.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile