Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Core Set 2019
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 2:17 am 

MRHblue wrote:
Its an instant, and costs less than Bacon. Its pretty sick

Which makes it a first. I mean, sure, there are permanents ( Magistrate's Scepter , Sage of Hours and others ) to let you get your turn on between other player's turns, but this is the only straight up Instant to do it to date.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 3:46 am 

Dangerous in and of himself, yes, but still not as interesting as Vaevictis, at least in terms of suggesting deck themes beyond goodstuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 5:05 am 

Hot damn I love that flavour.

I want that as an alter that's been renamed Silvara (and the text tweaked to become an Elf..)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 5:50 am 

tarnar wrote:
MRHblue wrote:
Its an instant, and costs less than Bacon. Its pretty sick

Which makes it a first. I mean, sure, there are permanents ( Magistrate's Scepter , Sage of Hours and others ) to let you get your turn on between other player's turns, but this is the only straight up Instant to do it to date.

Plus hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon OMNOMNOM BACON!!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 6:22 am 

I'm more excited about this beauty:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 6:23 am 

"This spell can't be countered" - new templating?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 9:57 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
I know Roon, Rafiq, Angus, Jenara, and Derevi are out there- but they're super obvious and tend to be "my first antisocial play deck" :(

Well, I do have a Roon deck that is Tribal Ally, but also seeks to take advantage of making unusual tokens and make copies of them through the populate ability. Roon happened to be in the colors I wanted, but also worked well with Ally tokens. I don't believe it is anti-social...

I'm actually a little excited about this set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 10:38 am 

Viperion wrote:
"This spell can't be countered" - new templating?

Yes, as of Dominaria.

It appeared on Admiral's Order in Ixalan, maybe as a test to see if anyone would be confused by this wording in the real world. It got formalised as templating as of Dominaria and Duel Decks: Elves vs Inventors, and Dominaria formally errataed it onto all previous cards alongside the other sweeping errata changes they made. (E.g. Surrak Dragonclaw was errataed to say "This spell can't be countered.")

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2018-Jun-24 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 11:43 am 

Segrus wrote:
Mr Degradation wrote:
I know Roon, Rafiq, Angus, Jenara, and Derevi are out there- but they're super obvious and tend to be "my first antisocial play deck" :(

Well, I do have a Roon deck that is Tribal Ally.

How can it be tribal ally, when Roon isn't an ally?

Jokes the person whose tribal ally deck is helmed by Karona...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 3:34 pm 

I'm glad everyone here seems to "get" Chromium. Was reading people complaining that he isn't as good as Esper commanders and was like... He doesn't let you play like a jerk- but pivots hard my protecting himself. He's on the Dromar, Sidri, Sharuum end of tricky-but-not-fun-police Esper; but some people won't be happy until their favorite color identity is only helmed by Oloro, Sen Triplets, and Zur :(. So uh, make an Esper deck that doesn't involve playing like a jerk, ta-da

Also, not brave enough to try something like Allys in EDH- glad to hear you two beautiful people have non-Tazri Ally decks :D

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-19 9:04 pm 

Mr Degradation wrote:
He's on the Dromar, Sidri, Sharuum end of tricky-but-not-fun-police Esper

Do you 'member when Sharuum was the poster child for funsuck combo decks? I 'member

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 1:43 am 

Yeah, I'm pretty lax about how I go about defining "tribal." If the majority of creatures in the deck are one creature type and the deckbuilding intention is to focus on that creature type, then I'm fine. Roon fits under that category with Allies for me, especially since I first built it before Tazri came out. I think every tribe has some honorary members, like dragons have a few cost reduction creatures and zombies have Gisa.

But I do make some decks that are whole-heartedly one tribe, no-true-scotsman-like. For example, a Treefolk deck where every card must contain a tree or semblance of plant life, including basic lands.

Anyway, I don't have my Roon list on this website apparently, so maybe I'll have to look into updating it and adding it.

Viperion wrote:
Mr Degradation wrote:

Do you 'member when Sharuum was the poster child for funsuck combo decks? I 'member

Yes, I do recall that dark time. Last I remember having a Shroom deck was when Sundering Titan was still legal. Those were dark times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 2:09 am 

Viperion wrote:
Mr Degradation wrote:

Pepridge Farm remembers :lol:

Oh, you must mean before Trade Secrets got banned, and before Deadeye Navigator flickered itself to get Sylvan Primordial banned xD (messin'- I remember, wasn't that when Kresh was still a dominant force at many tables?)

Sharuum decks today are so much more tame than Triplets and Oloro though.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 3:39 am 

Segrus wrote:

Anyway, I don't have my Roon list on this website apparently, so maybe I'll have to look into updating it and adding it.

Please do. The last Ally deck I tried to make was with Roon. It didn't work, but that was before the last round of new Allies.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 5:27 am 

This gets interesting. It's not the kind of deck I'd be crafting, myself, but turning defender into upside should definitely draw some fans. (Do not forget about things like Peregrine Mask, mind.)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next