Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:19 pm

Post subject: Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yangling
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-07 5:35 am 

Looks like the whole set has been spoiled:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-06-07

My impression is that it's generally a pretty bland selection of cards. The planeswalkers are OK, but not great. About the new only cards in here I'm going to consider outside of filling out a tribal deck are using Jiang Yanggu and Journey for the Elixir together as random throw-ins for a creature-based deck.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yangling
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-07 5:56 am 

I dig the style of the set. Agree, not much worthy playwise though.

No artifacts?

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-08 5:53 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:
No artifacts?

I can live with that (saves me the mental exercise of finding room for new cards in my Glissa deck), but who makes a set without black?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-08 11:19 pm 

Well, it's not really a set, is it? It's a new spin on dual decks, trying to justify new cards (probably because dual decks weren't really selling as all-reprints) for the decks to help the product move. I would guess it's difficult to get a balanced representation of all five colors in two 60 card decks.

I'm just sad they skipped the chance for some P3K reprints.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-09 4:11 am 

This is meant to be a breakthrough product to the mainland Chinese market — beside the fact it's duel decks, avoiding black completely for this one might just be a wise and careful culturally sensitive move. Black embodies some villainous attitudes, has skeletons and zombies (which regularly need censorship for Chinese content restrictions), and showcasing China's swamps to them in lands isn't a choice move. They could of course do black and work to mitigate these issues entirely, but it's easier still to just not do black yet.

They can do black in the next product once this one's already established a reputation for the series.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-09 5:25 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
They can do black in the next product once this one's already established a reputation for the series.

The problem is that if that reputation is "underwhelming planeswalkers, and some renamed mediocre cards," I don't think the product line is going to last long...

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-09 5:58 am 

More detailed thoughts on the cards:

Nine-Tail White Fox is mediocre at best. It's too bad that a card with such a cool name is so underwhelming. Also, the white fox is in blue? OK...

Mu Yanling ... Huh. Interesting. I think we've got our first planeswalker who can be literally unusable. If you have 2 or less loyalty on her, and there are no targetable creatures in play, you cannot activate any of her abilities. Everything else with only a single + that affects creatures has used the "up to X target creatures" wording so you could choose zero targets.

Moon-Eating Dog Overcosted crap if you don't have out Yanling. Underwhelming card if you do.

Brilliant Plan is a playable P3K reprint, so that's kinda cool. But it's one that was already in a Commander deck, so not really needed.

Screeching Phoenix is a letdown. A phoenix that cannot get itself back from the graveyard? Lame. This should have been an elemental.

Jiang Yanggu isn't bad, per se, but it is overcosted and comes across as just a much weaker Garruk. Make this 4cmc, and make the first two abilities +2 and +1 and I could see this actually getting some play. As it is, it's only really acceptable because of Journey for the Elixir, which is a decent land search + extra card spell.

Sacred White Deer is a very cool name for a grizzly bear. But even with Yanggu out, it's barely anything but a grizzly - 4 mana + tap for 4 life? Yawn.

The rest of the green cards are generally passable in power level at least, but nothing that hasn't been done many times before, and often done better.

Offline Profile