Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:21 pm

Post subject: Y'all like Ravnica, right?
AgePosted: 2018-May-20 9:17 am 

Sure hope so, 'cos there's a whole year of it coming up...

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-05-18

I mean, I like Ravnica, but I thought RTR block was pretty bad, really. Hoping this "not-block" is more like the OG Ravnica block...

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

Post subject: Re: Y'all like Ravnica, right?
AgePosted: 2018-May-21 3:20 am 

I thought RTR was pretty good, but the rest of the block meh.

The best part is multi-colored, so hopefully they reprint some needed lands and complete some land cycles as well.

Who else things the 3rd set will be about the guilds merging / changing into 3 or 4 color groups?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 3:33 am 

I mean, if it ends with Sarkhan getting his revenge on Nicol Bolas, or Garruk getting his revenge on Liliana, or Feather getting a Planeswalker card- I guess I can't complain? Like the dream would be Sarkhan embracing the Firemind in conjunction with his bloodline greensight- literally becoming an elder dragon in human skin. It'd make for some cool art, and an upswing in his character arc.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 6:50 am 

Did Feather become a planeswalker? I don't think she did in the books.

A spirit Agrus Kos would be cool.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 8:18 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Did Feather become a planeswalker? I don't think she did in the books.

A spirit Agrus Kos would be cool.

I mean, isn't her defining characteristic that she suddenly disappears every now and then, can't explain it- and somehow a Boros Angel ends up becoming a member of the new Weatherlight? Maybe it's too obvious, and she's lost to the lore 5ever?

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 9:16 am 

Random conspiracy theory thought; Bolas wins, the Gatewatch all die (except for Jace because you can't kill your darling) and the crew of the Weatherlight all spark and become the next Gatewatch (or other name)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 10:14 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
I mean, isn't her defining characteristic that she suddenly disappears every now and then, can't explain it- and somehow a Boros Angel ends up becoming a member of the new Weatherlight? Maybe it's too obvious, and she's lost to the lore 5ever?

She didn't magically disappear, she did leave a few times after Agrus freed her though. Later Aurelia overthrew her as Boros Guildmaster. She is definitely not Tiana and i don't think they have any relation besides being r/w angels.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-21 7:00 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Random conspiracy theory thought; Bolas wins, the Gatewatch all die (except for Jace because you can't kill your darling) and the crew of the Weatherlight all spark and become the next Gatewatch (or other name)

Your theory needs more Eldrazi.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-22 12:37 am 

I hope Bolas comes in and destroys Ravnica. Fire raining from the skies, seas turn to blood, cats and dogs living together. Utter chaos and destruction. Nothing but smoking ruins and no need to ever visit the plane again.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-22 12:13 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Viperion wrote:
Random conspiracy theory thought: Bolas wins, the Gatewatch all die (except for Jace because you can't kill your darling) and the crew of the Weatherlight all spark and become the next Gatewatch (or other name)

Your theory needs more Eldrazi.

scatteredsun wrote:
I hope Bolas comes in and destroys Ravnica. Fire raining from the skies, seas turn to blood, cats and dogs living together and ushers in another Ice Age (with new Snow Lands). Utter chaos and destruction.

FTFY

Although, it does make one wonder. Was Ravnica popular because the first block was that good; or because it was good in comparison to Kamigawa (that had just finished)?

RTR was okay, but the mistakes still leave a sour note in my memory of the block (e.g. Emmara Tandris as Selsnya Legendary, Maze <x> cycle of mono-color that buffs multi-color?!?, etc.).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-13 11:51 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:
I hope Bolas comes in and destroys Ravnica. Fire raining from the skies, seas turn to blood, cats and dogs living together. Utter chaos and destruction. Nothing but smoking ruins and no need to ever visit the plane again.

Thanks for the haunting image, bro. This'll give me nightmares for sure tonight. lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 2:58 am 

Not looking forward to these sets, and I say that as someone whose favorite block is OG Ravnica (has it really been 13 years already? Jesus...). The problem is that we already know the overall shape of the block because the first two sets will be about the guilds and the guilds are static in their interpretation. Worse, the way the guilds are built is the standard or default way those color pairs operate these days - that is, Boros is aggressive weenie aggro in basically every set, Gruul is stompy ramp aggro in basically every set, Azorius is tempo flying things in basically every set, etc. There's nothing unique or interesting left to do with the place.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 5:48 am 

I'm a little excited, as I'm a big fan of BG, but I know Golgari will never get dredge again, which makes me real sad. However, I would love to see something like this:

B/G: fertilize: if this card is in your graveyard, you may exile it. If you do, search for a forest or swamp and put it into play tapped.

The mana fixing of DRS returns (kind of) with an extra hoop to jump through.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 12:33 pm 

Personally I'm hoping that this is the last time to Ravnica... like ever...

I'm all for the guilds and for more multicolor cards to explore design space and stretch the capabilities of the color pairings... but not like this...

The entire RTR block was ok, with Dragon's Maze being the worst of the 3, IMO.
Going back there 3 more times, in succession, is certain to exhaust the player base, not to mention the design teams involved.

It's too much of a good thing; no one is going to want to go back to Ravnica after the last of these 3 sets... probably for the next 10 years plus. We have so many other interesting places to go to/revisit, nevermind the new ones they come up with... Did they really need to reuse the same place 3 times in a row??

This better be for something Epic... like the gatewatch dying off with Bolas in some grandiose fashion to save the Multiverse - almost like how the comics re-boot everything every now and then. I think the MTG universe is due since the Mending. I'm SO tired of Bolas's shit at this point. He's not even cool or interesting anymore (I challenge anyone to justify why he's still around other than a convenient plot device/"big bad" for the good guys to face off against now that the Eldrazi are gone and the Phyrexians are, presumably, preoccupied elsewhere.)

All these different Planeswalker versions are exhausting, especially when the color identity is the same... The flip walker is a refreshing change, but it's not enough to be a "fresh coat of paint" when there are 4 different PW versions of him now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 1:12 pm 

Given the limited information MaRo has spoiled so far (to wit: the first two sets are what you'd expect but the third is unlike anything you've seen so far) destruction of the plane may not be out of the question

Online Profile