Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-15 9:05 am

Post subject: Dominaria Buy-a-Box info
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 3:13 am 

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-03-21

It looks like if you preorder a box of Dominaria, you will be able to specify that you want to pick it up at prerelease. Also, Firesong and Sunspeaker will ONLY be available as a BAB Promo.

Also, tomorrow (Thurs 22-Mar) we will find out about a new variant of Commander, Brawl, which will only use standard legal cards.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dominaria Buy-a-Box info
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 3:58 am 

Maro wrote:
The players made such a stink that Wizards decided to stop producing mechanically unique cards outside of booster packs.

:facepalm:

I mean, OK could be worse, they could be trying to force a new meme format on us that defeats the entire purpose of EDH in order to sell more packs like standa-

Quote:
Well, Gavin Verhey is going to tell you all about it tomorrow here on DailyMTG, but the short version is that it’s a Commander variant that uses only Standard-legal cards. It’s a ton of fun, it’s been one of the most popular “for fun” formats at Wizards of the Coast this past year, and we’re introducing it with Dominaria.

I am so glad I haven't bought sealed product in 8 months, let me say that.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 7:55 am 

DarksteelElephant wrote:
Maro wrote:
The players made such a stink that Wizards decided to stop producing mechanically unique cards outside of booster packs.

What is this quote from? Honestly curious. It doesn't seem like something they would have said recently.

I don't think that this is as much of a problem now, since if Firesong and Sunspeaker ends up being both popular and hard to find (which I kind of doubt considering the card) then they can always reprint it in a Masters set, something they really didn't have access to before.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 8:31 am 

Coco wrote:
DarksteelElephant wrote:
Maro wrote:

What is this quote from? Honestly curious. It doesn't seem like something they would have said recently.

I don't think that this is as much of a problem now, since if Firesong and Sunspeaker ends up being both popular and hard to find (which I kind of doubt considering the card) then they can always reprint it in a Masters set, something they really didn't have access to before.

It's from Twenty things that were going to kill magic, #4: Nalathni Dragon.

Tbh they already broke this rule in planeswalker decks.

I think this is a serious mess-up though. They shouldn't have done this, and it's sullied an otherwise great card and upended some of the hype.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 8:57 am 

spacemonaut wrote:

Thanks, this was an interesting article.

spacemonaut wrote:

I think this is a serious mess-up though. They shouldn't have done this, and it's sullied an otherwise great card and upended some of the hype.

As some one who drafts, I am very glad that the planeswalker deck unique cards and, to a lesser extent, this promo card aren't in packs. As someone who might play this card in commander, I really don't see it being any harder to acquire than any other Buy-A-Box promo that isn't playable in either Standard or Modern.

I mean if people actually got mad about not being able to get a copy of Nalathni Dragon of all cards, then of course there will be outcry about this, but I don't think it's justified.

That being said, if they continue to do this it is only a matter of time before they print a card that is more highly desirable than they anticipated and cause a serious supply issue.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 9:32 am 

Coco wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

Thanks, this was an interesting article.

It was! Glad you enjoyed it too. :D

Coco wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

As some one who drafts, I am very glad that the planeswalker deck unique cards and, to a lesser extent, this promo card aren't in packs. As someone who might play this card in commander, I really don't see it being any harder to acquire than any other Buy-A-Box promo that isn't playable in either Standard or Modern.

I mean if people actually got mad about not being able to get a copy of Nalathni Dragon of all cards, then of course there will be outcry about this, but I don't think it's justified.

That being said, if they continue to do this it is only a matter of time before they print a card that is more highly desirable than they anticipated and cause a serious supply issue.

Planeswalker deck cards being separate is fine. I don't think those are a mess-up at all, didn't mean to suggest that if that's what came across.

I'm not concerned about having a hard time obtaining the buy-a-box promo specifically, I'm concerned about having a hard time obtaining Firesong and Sunspeaker at all. The buy-a-box promo version is the only version of the card that is being printed. There will be no printings of FS&SS in any Dominaria booster packs. That means there will be super limited supply of this card. That supply's going to make it harder to find on sale & more expensive to buy.

I'm pretty sure the short supply of FS&SS is going to make it harder to obtain than any other buy-a-box promo simply because of that. Every buy-a-box promo card to date has also had a corresponding printing available in booster packs for the same set. Anyone who wanted Ruinous Path didn't have to go for the buy-a-box promo, there was an ordinary one in the same set at higher quantities they could grab instead. If the promo is the only one that exists, everyone has to scrounge from that one limited pool.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-22 12:10 pm 

Coco wrote:

I was playing when they printed Nalathni Dragon et al. I don't think it was the dragon people cared about. People wanted the Mana Crypt

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-22 12:20 pm 

Coco wrote:

Agree. I don't see many Lightning Bolts and Healing Salves in my Commander games.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-22 6:41 pm 

From Maro's tumblr

Quote:
maestroquark asked:
How is Firesong and Sunspeaker different than Nalathni Dragon?

markrosewater said:
One was available for a single weekend at a single event held at one location for an event unrelated to Magic. The other is available at any store that sells Magic for buying Magic product.

Quote:
sirblackaxe asked:
To whom should we direct our complaints about the exclusivity of Firesong and Sunspeaker?

markrosewater said:
You can voice them to me. Emailing me through the link at the bottom of my column allows me to forward them to the proper people.

By the way, I have strongly received the message that this is unpopular with a lot of players. This message *is* getting passed along to the Powers That Be.
[/quote]

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-22 7:25 pm 

Celerus wrote:
Coco wrote:

I was playing when they printed Nalathni Dragon et al. I don't think it was the dragon people cared about. People wanted the Mana Crypt

I, too, was playing back then. IIRC, it was the "collectors" (the same ones driving the anti-Chronicles movement) that had the uproar over Nalathni Dragon (I know I was stoked to see it get distributed in magazines - but I love banding). The tournament players were the uproar over Mana Crypt. I don't know about other venues, but the Detroit area had a large burst of Hyperion Books that people were removing the coupon at the bookstore (without buying the book) so you had to be careful when getting a copy to make sure it still had the coupon in the back before purchase.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-08 3:31 pm 

For the record, I hadn't bought of box of sealed product since the second Modern Masters (Split with a friend) but I jumped on this immediately. Already have some buy orders for F&S around town too. From what I've heard, this will basically be as rare as a low-print Mythic. Most stores are selling them around $5-$10 USD so you should all be able to pick up a few after release.

Already have shenanigans planned with Brightflame and Star of Extinction (h/t to Saffrom Olive), as well as Searing Meditation. :D

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-08 3:43 pm 

Celerus wrote:
Coco wrote:

Actually, I wanted Arena. Crypt just makes mana. Eventually I got a Crypt before Arena, I only got it after Time Spiral.

Offline Profile