Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Sep-23 3:46 am

Post subject: Is there any rare card more useless than Awakened Amalgam?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 2:54 pm 

I am genuinely sorry to see this in my rare slot. Suppose I play this in my five-color EDH deck, "Down on the Farm"? I have a ton of special lands that, while slow, net me a lot of different colors and they all have different names. This card costs 4 to get out. At best, I have a vanilla 4/4 on Turn 4. Even in our local games, where combos are considered gauche, Awakened Amalgam is crap.

Can anyone think of a good use for this POS? Or is this one of the junk rare turkeys that WOTC tosses into each set just because?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Is there any rare card more useless than Awakened Amalgam?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 5:33 pm 

This is far more playable than some other rares/mythics that have appeared in the past, such as Archangel's Light or the truly abysmal Wood Elemental.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 7:58 pm 

What about Felidar Sovereign? It looks cool and all, who's ever going to have that much life when it's out? At best I just have a 4/6 attacker/blocker on turn 6.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 9:30 pm 

One With Nothing

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 10:31 pm 

Apocalypse Chime I win?

Leeches that's not counting the ante cards lol

And yes both are rares form the same set....

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 10:35 pm 

Purelace and friends (the original ABUR useless rares)

In the grand scheme of things, Awakened Amalgam isn't that bad at all. P/T = Lands is usually found on colored creatures at 6+ mana (e.g. Allosaurus Rider, Rubblehulk); so a colorless 4 mana for the variant "different named lands" isn't that bad.

In EDH it would get the most mileage since deck size and format restrictions increase the chances of maximizing the P/T (I'm thinking a black deck with Herald of Leshrac). Amalgam isn't meant to be played on turn 4 or 5; it's meant to be a mid-game 4-mana 12+/12+...

Edit: Leeches saw use when infect first hit the seen; and if you add Apocalypse Chime, you should add the original of that "type" - City in a Bottle.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2018-Jan-22 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 10:44 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Purelace and friends (the original ABUR useless rares)

In the grand scheme of things, Awakened Amalgam isn't that bad at all. P/T = Lands is usually found on colored creatures at 6+ mana (e.g. Allosaurus Rider, Rubblehulk); so a colorless 4 mana for the variant "different named lands" isn't that bad.

In EDH it would get the most mileage since deck size and format restrictions increase the chances of maximizing the P/T (I'm thinking a black deck with Herald of Leshrac).

Edit: Leeches saw use when infect first hit the seen; and if you add Apocalypse Chime, you should add the original of that "type" - City in a Bottle.

I...I did not know any of that.....

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 11:02 pm 

Treamayne wrote:

I'm so glad they learned to be a bit more subtle with their set hate cards (e.g. End Hostilities following Theros, Solemnity following Kaladesh...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-22 11:56 pm 

Centurion13 wrote:
I am genuinely sorry to see this in my rare slot. Suppose I play this in my five-color EDH deck, "Down on the Farm"? I have a ton of special lands that, while slow, net me a lot of different colors and they all have different names. This card costs 4 to get out. At best, I have a vanilla 4/4 on Turn 4. Even in our local games, where combos are considered gauche, Awakened Amalgam is crap.

Can anyone think of a good use for this POS? Or is this one of the junk rare turkeys that WOTC tosses into each set just because?

You've chosen a very odd example here. Even from the same set, there are significantly worse rares- Sphinx's Decree, Silverclad Ferocidons, Admiral's Order...like, Amalgam isn't great but it's hardly the poster child for "useless card in my rare slot".

As for what to do with Amalgam? Stick a Rancor or Sword of X&Y on it and start beating faces with your undercosted attacker. Or just draw it in the mid to late game in your five-colour deck and enjoy the 8/8 or 10/10 for cheap? That seems pretty good by itself.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)

Last edited by Swmystery on 2018-Jan-23 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 12:33 am 

Swmystery wrote:
Centurion13 wrote:

You've chosen a very odd example here. Even from the same set, there are significantly worse rares- Sphinx's Decree, Silverclad Ferocidons, Admiral's Order...like, Amalgam isn't great but it's hardly the poster child for "useless card in my rare slot".

As for what to do with Amalgam? Stick a Rancor or Sword of X&Y on it and start beating faces with your undercosted attacker. Or just draw it in the mid to late game in your five-colour deck and enjoy the 8/8 or 10/10 for cheap? That seems pretty good by itself.

I agree enough I'm still reasonably sure the OP is satire of arguments against it. In a Breya or Esper deck hell yes I'm playing this, it's an artifact creature that will keep on giving more later disproportionate to its cost. (If the OP isn't satire, it's the kind of thing I'd post satire of, and did.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 4:34 am 

I'd slam Amalgam into any colorless deck. Late game, its going to be rather large.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 6:04 am 

Prior to wastes Awakened Amalgam was always going to be a 4/4 or better in my Karn deck. Still looks good from here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 5:25 pm 

Willbender wrote:
This is far more playable than some other rares/mythics that have appeared in the past, such as Archangel's Light or the truly abysmal Wood Elemental.

I don’t think Wood Elemental is a good comparison: Awakened Amalgam is rare, but the current highest rarity is mythic. For a good comparison you’d have to look at the U2 rarity, for example. And we all know that bad uncommons didn’t exist back then. To make it worse, Archangel’s Light isn’t even a rare, so that is a poor comparison.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 11:17 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Willbender wrote:

I don’t think Wood Elemental is a good comparison: Awakened Amalgam is rare, but the current highest rarity is mythic. For a good comparison you’d have to look at the U2 rarity, for example. And we all know that bad uncommons didn’t exist back then. To make it worse, Archangel’s Light isn’t even a rare, so that is a poor comparison.

Except that the comparison isn't about how frequently a card will show up over large amounts of cards (U2 vs R1, Mythic, etc.) it's about what card holds that single rare/mythic slot in a pack you might pick up.

I think Willbender was saying he would be more disappointed to see an Archangel's Light in his DKA pack than he would be to see an Awakened Amalgam in his RXI pack. It's not about relative/raw power level (which is influenced by rarity) it's simply appeal. Are you happy looking at what fills that single space in your pack? What cards make you disappointed when you crack them in a pack?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 2:27 am 

Despite Wood Elemental I would be a lot happier opening packs of Legends.

Offline Profile