Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-16 1:55 pm

Post subject: Commander Podcast
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 7:23 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Former SCG writer Anthony Alongi and I have teamed up for a podcast called Elder Dragon Statesmen ("the only Commander podcast with 100 years worth of hosts"). You can find it hosted by our friends at Legion Supplies: https://www.legionsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=32&zenid=57c5mmo0jjdqs7rl0j3f8valt0

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander Podcast
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 9:49 am 

Thanks for info on the new project. Hope that means you are feeling better. Also hope you had a good holiday season.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 9:51 am 

So I started listening (I am currently 20 minutes into it) and while I really appreciate that you talked about the importance of inclusiveness, because that is important for everything not just Magic. I was kind of surprised at how little you guys talk about magic when I am about half way through with the program. It sounds like you will be talking more about magic towards the end, but since that is the main reason I know (well have read articles from both of you as I have not had the pleasure of meeting either of you personally) you two.

I'll wait til I can finish the rest to comment further, but thought that was noteworthy. Since I probably will not be able to finish the rest for a few hours I'll wait til then to add to this post.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 9:24 pm 

AA is a great writer. Unfortunately I don't like podcasts or videos: the information density is too low compared to reading. I can read a lot in the same time I could listen to a podcast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-05 2:19 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Shabbaman wrote:
AA is a great writer. Unfortunately I don't like podcasts or videos: the information density is too low compared to reading. I can read a lot in the same time I could listen to a podcast.

This is also my preferred method as well. There are a few podcasts I like, but I find myself unmotivated to listen to them when I could read a great deal more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-05 5:21 am 

Can't deny there's an audience for podcasts though. But if you're more inclined to reading, what is your motivation to do a podcast? Does this tie into your study and writing ambition, to try a different form of the English language?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-05 7:32 am 

I was curious to hear Sheldon's voice and listened to the whole podcast. It was odd to hear Anthony pronounce his name with a soft g, rather than the hard g I assumed for so long. I enjoyed listening and thought the pair created a pleasing rapport(there are other podcasters who grate on my ears).

Overall I wasn't too interested in the content, except for the bit directly relating to EDH (the card of the week). Everyone should listen to the section on promoting positive social behaviour: I'm sure I'm not alone wishing I was better at redirecting some players energies in the right direction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-06 2:05 am 

So I was able to finish the rest of the podcast last night and I added Equal Treatment to my Edgar Markov deck immediately. He always seems to have 5-6 1/1s hanging around and I run very little instant speed interaction (on purpose), so I felt that was the best home in my stable of decks.

I thought it was really well done over all but would certainly want a higher percentage of the time talking about strategy or card choices or something more directly related to EDH. Thanks!

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-07 7:08 am 

Good luck with the Cast. I am pretty full up these days, but when a slot opens, you got it!

I appreciate the thoughts on Reading vs Podcasts, but I can sort magic cards or drive and listen to a Podcast. Reading during either seems unwise :)

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile