MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/

Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18727
Page 3 of 4

Author:  scatteredsun [ 2018-Jan-02 6:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Image

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.

Author:  Nigerian Prince [ 2018-Jan-02 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

scatteredsun wrote:
Image

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.


This guy is a deck by itself... just ad some lands, mana rocks, additional combat steps and Reroute effects and your deck is ready to go, sir!

Author:  Skyknight [ 2018-Jan-03 3:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Image

Not a planeswalker, to my surprise. Still, if you can figure out a way to ramp in WU, players will be scrambling to figure out a way to keep him from attacking or returning to the command zone.

Author:  scatteredsun [ 2018-Jan-03 3:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Jan-03 4:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

scatteredsun wrote:
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?


Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)

Author:  Inkeyes22 [ 2018-Jan-03 5:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

spacemonaut wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?


Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)


No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Jan-03 5:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Inkeyes22 wrote:
No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.


Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.

Author:  Viperion [ 2018-Jan-03 6:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

spacemonaut wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.
Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

Author:  Skyknight [ 2018-Jan-03 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Image

I don't think we've had cloning this cheap before (except for the even cheaper Phantasmal Image, and that one's kind of fragile). The trick is that you have to hope that whatever you wanted to clone survived the scuffle that triggered the raid ability. Moot point if the creature's controller and the attacked player aren't the same, admittedly...

Currently, I'm considering replacing the Altered Ego in my Yasova chart with this. (Roon, Jenara and Atraxa don't permit red, sorry.)

Author:  Wilkinsbane [ 2018-Jan-03 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Viperion wrote:
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

The two planeswalkers in Rivals are Angrath and a G/W Hutali, because brand new characters need immediate colour shifts for some reason.

Image

Author:  Viperion [ 2018-Jan-03 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.

Author:  zimagic [ 2018-Jan-03 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Viperion wrote:
Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.


She goes ultimate on the second turn in GW elfball quite easily. That gives a permanent Glimpse of Nature. That sort of card advantage really pays off the longer games go on.

Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.

Author:  Treamayne [ 2018-Jan-04 12:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

zimagic wrote:
Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).

Author:  zimagic [ 2018-Jan-04 2:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

Treamayne wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).


Oath of Gideon & Doubling Season would do it but you're already into 3 cards and 12 mana so I suppose it's fine. Great card for PW/x deck even if she doesn't ult directly off Doubling Season.

Hell, just checked, the draw is optional so you can't even deck yourself with Jace, Biceps Castaway & Doubling Season, merely draw as many cards as you wish.

I'll be getting one of these.

Author:  Skyknight [ 2018-Jan-04 3:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?

One thing to remember is that depending on how many creatures can supply Huatli with loyalty, it may be possible to use her ultimate twice or more. (Now, whether your opponents will leave off the pressure on her long enough to do that...) The emblem is probably meant to be stacked.

Page 3 of 4 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/