Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2018-Aug-21 10:00 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 6:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
Image

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 6:50 pm 

Joined: 2015-Apr-23 11:27 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
scatteredsun wrote:
Image

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.


This guy is a deck by itself... just ad some lands, mana rocks, additional combat steps and Reroute effects and your deck is ready to go, sir!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:24 am 

Joined: 2011-Jan-03 4:23 pm
Age: Drake
Image

Not a planeswalker, to my surprise. Still, if you can figure out a way to ramp in WU, players will be scrambling to figure out a way to keep him from attacking or returning to the command zone.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 4:33 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-Nov-27 2:39 pm
Age: Dragon
scatteredsun wrote:
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?


Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)

_________________
Decks: Mathas, the Instigator (politics and mayhem), and Intet dragons (so many dragons) (actually not enough dragons)
Beloved precons: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Saskia the Unyielding; Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 5:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Dec-03 3:16 am
Age: Elder Dragon
spacemonaut wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.


Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?


Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)


No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.

_________________
"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
J. R. R. Tolkien

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 5:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-Nov-27 2:39 pm
Age: Dragon
Inkeyes22 wrote:
No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.


Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.

_________________
Decks: Mathas, the Instigator (politics and mayhem), and Intet dragons (so many dragons) (actually not enough dragons)
Beloved precons: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Saskia the Unyielding; Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 6:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
spacemonaut wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.
Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 1:58 pm 

Joined: 2011-Jan-03 4:23 pm
Age: Drake
Image

I don't think we've had cloning this cheap before (except for the even cheaper Phantasmal Image, and that one's kind of fragile). The trick is that you have to hope that whatever you wanted to clone survived the scuffle that triggered the raid ability. Moot point if the creature's controller and the attacked player aren't the same, admittedly...

Currently, I'm considering replacing the Altered Ego in my Yasova chart with this. (Roon, Jenara and Atraxa don't permit red, sorry.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:56 pm 

Joined: 2013-Sep-05 6:26 am
Age: Drake
Viperion wrote:
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

The two planeswalkers in Rivals are Angrath and a G/W Hutali, because brand new characters need immediate colour shifts for some reason.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 6:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 8:44 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Viperion wrote:
Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.


She goes ultimate on the second turn in GW elfball quite easily. That gives a permanent Glimpse of Nature. That sort of card advantage really pays off the longer games go on.

Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 12:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Dec-10 12:16 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
zimagic wrote:
Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).

_________________
V/R

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 2:16 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Treamayne wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).


Oath of Gideon & Doubling Season would do it but you're already into 3 cards and 12 mana so I suppose it's fine. Great card for PW/x deck even if she doesn't ult directly off Doubling Season.

Hell, just checked, the draw is optional so you can't even deck yourself with Jace, Biceps Castaway & Doubling Season, merely draw as many cards as you wish.

I'll be getting one of these.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 3:26 am 

Joined: 2011-Jan-03 4:23 pm
Age: Drake
One thing to remember is that depending on how many creatures can supply Huatli with loyalty, it may be possible to use her ultimate twice or more. (Now, whether your opponents will leave off the pressure on her long enough to do that...) The emblem is probably meant to be stacked.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sid the Chicken and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: