Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-21 10:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rivals of Ixalan ....... wait, we are getting cards NOW?!?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 6:39 am 

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 6:50 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:

Dammit, I like the mono-red deck I have. I may have to have two now.

This guy is a deck by itself... just ad some lands, mana rocks, additional combat steps and Reroute effects and your deck is ready to go, sir!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:24 am 

Not a planeswalker, to my surprise. Still, if you can figure out a way to ramp in WU, players will be scrambling to figure out a way to keep him from attacking or returning to the command zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:47 am 

Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.

Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 4:33 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Yuuuuuup. Building this one. Blinky with lots of mana rocks and eyes in the sky.

Soooooo...Azor...as in Azor-ius? And a Sphinx...this is a Rivals of Ixalan preview yes?

Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 5:19 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

Secretly Ixalan was on Ravnica all along!!!!! :shock:

(not actually the case as far as I know)

No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 5:48 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
No Azor left Ravnica a long time ago, maybe he lost his spark? He is the one that cast the original Guildpact that prevented foreign planeswalkers from coming to Ravnica so it is likely that he is the one that cast the spell trapping planeswalkers on Ixilon. He is atleast 10,000 years old. I am hoping he gets/gets back his planeswalker-ness.

Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 6:48 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Sudden (actually serious) theory: The Immortal Sun, and by extension the golden city and the plane's weird meddling & imprisonment quirks, is fuelled by Azor's planeswalker spark which he voluntarily forfeited for the creation of these measures.
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 1:58 pm 

I don't think we've had cloning this cheap before (except for the even cheaper Phantasmal Image, and that one's kind of fragile). The trick is that you have to hope that whatever you wanted to clone survived the scuffle that triggered the raid ability. Moot point if the creature's controller and the attacked player aren't the same, admittedly...

Currently, I'm considering replacing the Altered Ego in my Yasova chart with this. (Roon, Jenara and Atraxa don't permit red, sorry.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 3:56 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Seems quite likely, actually. MaRo has confirmed there are two planeswalkers in Rivals, and I assume they are Vraska and Angrath, which would mean Azor doesn't get his spark back. I imagine Jace is going to have a hard time with another Sphinx mage though, this could be interesting from a story standpoint.

The two planeswalkers in Rivals are Angrath and a G/W Hutali, because brand new characters need immediate colour shifts for some reason.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 6:06 pm 

Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 8:44 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Huh I sit corrected ;) (I was assuming since the Planeswalker decks were Vraska and Angrath, so were the Planeswalkers in the set proper)

/reads the first ability on the card

/thinks "Wow that's a lot of loyalty, does the Ultimate cost like 15 or something?"

/reads the Ultimate

/thinks: "That's kind of underwhelming for an ult"

Edit: It's not so much a colour change as just showing another part of her character, IIRC. She's Naya because the Dinosaurs are.

She goes ultimate on the second turn in GW elfball quite easily. That gives a permanent Glimpse of Nature. That sort of card advantage really pays off the longer games go on.

Making it creature comes into play rather than cast is a pretty big deal.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 12:13 am 

zimagic wrote:
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 2:16 am 

Treamayne wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Almost as big a deal as leaving off the nontoken clause. Ghave would be insane with this. At least it is out of Doubling Season range for a Cast > Ult (barring GWU Proliferate Shenanigans).

Oath of Gideon & Doubling Season would do it but you're already into 3 cards and 12 mana so I suppose it's fine. Great card for PW/x deck even if she doesn't ult directly off Doubling Season.

Hell, just checked, the draw is optional so you can't even deck yourself with Jace, Biceps Castaway & Doubling Season, merely draw as many cards as you wish.

I'll be getting one of these.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-04 3:26 am 

One thing to remember is that depending on how many creatures can supply Huatli with loyalty, it may be possible to use her ultimate twice or more. (Now, whether your opponents will leave off the pressure on her long enough to do that...) The emblem is probably meant to be stacked.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next