Post subject: Commander Anthology 2 Decklists Announced
AgePosted: 2018-May-08 4:27 am 

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-05-08

Looks like we get these decks:

Devour for Power - The Mimeoplasm as the face card
Built from Scratch - Daretti, Scrap Savant as the face card
Wade Into Battle - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas as the face card
Breed Lethality - Atraxa, Praetors' Voice as the face card

The legendary cards (with the exception of Daretti, as he's a Planeswalker) will have the legendary frame and the alternate Commanders will be foil.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander Anthology 2 Decklists Announced
AgePosted: 2018-May-09 1:13 am 

Said this on Reddit, but I am rather disappointed in the spread this time around.

#1 reason: Still no Teferi, Temporal Archmage foil. In fact, that's basically 90% of the value these sets hold for me right now - making commanders with no prior foil printing finally available in foil. Some of the reprints in the 99 are cool and all. Like, it'd be nice to get another Blade of Selves for under $14 or w/e it is these days.

But really, all I care about is getting those sweet, shiny commanders. This set misses the mark in that regard.

I get that Daretti being foil is going to be a big deal for some people, but IMO Feldon is just plain better, or at least 100x more fun. And he was already given a foil judge promo, which by the way is a VAAAAAASTLY superior foiling process than the super-dark and muted process they use one these products.

Atraxa was the most popular deck from her year's set, so makes sense but they were already doing the foil commanders by then, so this reprint literally offers nothing new, unless you just really care about that new legendary border. Which is COOL by the way, but unless they have also greatly improve the foiling process over the past commander set foils, this is a VERY HARD PASS if you got Atraxa the first time around.

Kalemne. Oh boy. To this day I still think that Kalemne is severly underrated by much of the EDH player base, but at the same time I totally understand why. Simply put, she is actually a good deal more powerful than most people realize, but simultaneously a good deal more boring than people realize as well. She's basically Rafiq in Boros colors but Rafiq is actually fun to play. Her deck has nutso value though, so I get why they picked it. Still, no one is clamoring for a foil Kalemne and even fewer are clamoring for foil Anya or wtf-ever her name was. YUCK.

Finally, Damia. For YEARS I pined for a foil Damia. When Mimeoplasm got the nod in Commander's Arsenal I was so crushed! Mimeo is cool and all but Damia was what I really wanted. Sure she was one expensive-ass 4/4 but that draw ability was just SO good. I loved Damia. But today, now that we FINALLY get a foil version after all this time? Well, we also have Sidisi and Muldrotha, and with their printings, Damia is basically obsolete. I'm probably still going to try and snag a foil Damia just because I wanted one for so long but I seriously doubt I will ever sleeve up a Damia deck again. And Mimeo was already available in foil per the aforementioned Arsenal.

I'd much rather they reprint the Animar deck even though both Animar and Riku are available in foil they're both a bit on the pricey side, or at least were last time I checked. Even better, they could reprint Zedruu as neither he nor his alternate, Ruhan, have foil versions.

TL;DR - if all you care about is "First time in foil" commanders, this set is shit, unless you just REALLY fucking love Daretti (but Feldon is better).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-09 12:46 pm 

With this round they are pretty clearly working their way through the sets and animar will get it's day soon. Commander's arsenal was a pretty limited run so Im glad to have another chance to pick up mimeo and damia in foil.

Even if we have "better" sultai commanders now, I still have a soft spot for Damia so I'll be getting this in large part for that foil.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-11 6:37 am 

I altered my Damia... so I can't care less about her being foil.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-12 10:39 pm 

niheloim wrote:
I altered my Damia... so I can't care less about her being foil.

Pics or it didn't happen.

As for these decks, I can't say there's something there that gets me excited. I don't care a lot about foils, and if I had wanted any of these decks I'd have bought them the first time around (like the Mimeoplasm; I have all five of the first precons).

Offline Profile