Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-May-27 12:30 am

Post subject: Un-banlist (oh my god I'm so clever)
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 7:52 am 

When I first pushed my larval Magic Group into the commander format we didn't follow the official banlist and we allowed Un-cards. As time went on the group decided that the ban list was fine (people were going out of their way to include banned cards just to prove we weren't ruled by no committee, but found the games much less fun whenever the banned cards entered play) and that Un-set cards didn't add anything to the format (I was the only one in the group who brewed decks that included un-cards, so they stopped me from using them).

With the releast of Unstable Ima fight super hard to get some Commander Un-decks into our group, and casually try to play some at local pick up groups (Uktabi Kong is an 8 mana artifact wrath that can possibly go infinite with Ape-Inbreeding, is there any better home for such a card than Commander?). But that leads to an interesting issue, the banlist.

What Un-cards do y'all think need to be banned from Un-Commander? Is Blacker Lotus too strong for our format? Does Mox Lotus go too far? Is Richard Garfield, Ph.D the perfect Commander to play the format as its namesake intended?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Un-banlist (oh my god I'm so clever)
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 8:50 am 

I would not want to see things like Blacker Lotus and Mox Lotus in EDH. The format is easily broken already. Some Un Cards have already migrated into regular magic (e.g. The Cheese Stands Alone = Barren Glory and using the un-version should be fine. I would consider playing with somebody who wants to use RGPHD as their general; provided they agree to have no external references (just as we played Mind Magic in the mid 90s before gatherer and other such tools existed). And, since the format is singleton, they can "use" a card only once.

Otherwise, I would venture that a Commander Cube designed to work with select silver-border cards would be much more successful at integrating un-sets than just "allowing" silver cards and making a silver ban-list.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 9:28 am 

Here's an old post attempting to do a list of Un cards and categorize them by how they affect gameplay:
http://forum.mtgcommander.net/Forum/vie ... 3&start=32

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 11:58 am 

Some cards that I think are too powerful or annoying:
Mana screw- time waster
Frankie Peanuts- target player concedes from gatherer discussion:
"Is it true that either this statement is true, or you are not going to concede this turn, but not both?"

If they say yes, then the statement is true, and therefore they are not "not going to concede". If they say no, then the statement is false, and either both or neither condition is true. Since the first condition is false, then the second must also be false.

All the "Gotcha" cards- this turns into people not wanting to talk and inherently shuts down interaction at the table

I always thought of Mox Lotus being the same as Omniscience and/or Emrakul. In that when you spend 15 mana on a spell it "should" win the game. However, cheating it into play would be easier than with an enchantment and Emrakul is now banned. Not that I like either of those cards, but Tooth and Nail is still legal...

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-17 4:18 am 

The problem with Un cards (as I see it) is that so much baggage comes along with a few fun cards.

I love the idea of Booster Tutor in EDH decks. A tutor for (usually) nothing, that you effectively have to spend money every time you resolve it?

Some cards are clever, balanced, and yet don't belong in real sets (Blast from the Past) so, into Un they go, and they never get played ever by anyone which is sad. Commander would be the place for them.

But there are way more stupid cards that think they're clever and aren't. So, yeah. Probably not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 5:46 am 

I ran Ashnod's Coupon in my Glissa, the Traitor deck. I tried to get people to scoop by making them get up over and over to get me a drink.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 11:18 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I ran Ashnod's Coupon in my Glissa, the Traitor deck. I tried to get people to scoop by making them get up over and over to get me a drink.

"Errata: You pay any costs for the drink."

I feel like I'd demand unusual payments for those drinks. "You want that drink? The bartender said the cost is wearing one of these for the duration of the night."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 1:51 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:

Lol, That's pretty good. I guess you ran R&D's Secret Lair with it too? There are definitely some fun, while not being broken cards in unhinged like Who/What/When/Where/Why

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-19 12:58 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
All the "Gotcha" cards- this turns into people not wanting to talk and inherently shuts down interaction at the table

Stop That is fine as long as you always target the card flicker.

Offline Profile