Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-19 7:48 pm

Post subject: Re: Iconic Masters
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 11:20 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And U/R is spells.deck AGAIN.

At least Charmbreaker being uncommon will make the drafting interresting.

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 1:57 pm 

Everblight wrote:

And U/R is spells.deck AGAIN.

At least Charmbreaker being uncommon will make the drafting interresting.

That Guttersnipe art though....

I wants it

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 2:22 am 

Furnance Whelp at common ....... that's what we get for the B/R Dragon deck ..........

*sigh*

Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 2:25 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Amonkhet BLOCK had 7 counterspells. This SET has 6 ........ so far. :facepalm:

Current EDH Decks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 2:30 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Well, the white Outlast creatures suggest that the +1/+1 counter deck will be G/W, but Corpsejack at uncommon suggests G/B.

Might as well be Abzan all over again.

Current EDH Decks

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Am I outta line? I'm prolly outta line.
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 11:26 am 

This is like reading one of those fangirl squee threads but in reverse, with all the blind enthusiasm replaced with hostile pessimism. How...oddly thematic for a Magic Iconic set. I'm still gonna rain on the parade though.

Not Iconic enough for the old bloods? So far there are a lot of highly recognizable casual tabletop classics, commander decks, and dream big timmy decks. The notable exclusions from the reserved list (and the massively expensive pile) are only iconic because of their unattainability and format ruining power level. Card access aside, would you want to draft in a format where you ran into the good-ole sol ring, mox, manacrypt, turn one jace start? Or where somebody could open a The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale then go for the deck-you-with-your-natural-draws mill strat?

As for B/R dragons being unplayable, we've had standard legal sets with playable 6 and 7 drop dragons in recent years. Here's a sample curve out, t1 Duress your combat trick and guess your plan, t2 Dragonlord's Servant, t3 Furnace Whelp, t4 literally any 5 drop dragon in the set. Those are all COMMONS. Let's be real here, the only reason Shivan Dragon wouldn't be in the set at common is because it wouldn't be strong enough to fill the slot.

You may now resume your Salt Parade, just wanted to contribute.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Am I outta line? I'm prolly outta line.
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 12:28 pm 

Evilkritter wrote:
Card access aside, would you want to draft in a format where you ran into the good-ole sol ring, mox, manacrypt, turn one jace start?

Played that in Cube, actually, and it can be quite fun. With the Boros deck I drafted one round, managed to get Cloudgoat Ranger out on turn one. I lost that particular game to Time Walk --> Snapcaster Mage --> Time Walk and then Elesh Norn from the graveyard. You probably don't want that sort of insanity every time you play, but honestly the only real downside was that the Power Nine was often the determining factor in winning or losing. If somehow you could allow everybody to have a Power Nine (and not multiples)--like through seeding player choice through previous Cube performance/ranking--then Power Nine every draft might not be so bad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Am I outta line? I'm prolly outta line.
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 7:42 pm 

Evilkritter wrote:
Not Iconic enough for the old bloods? So far there are a lot of highly recognizable casual tabletop classics, commander decks, and dream big timmy decks. The notable exclusions from the reserved list (and the massively expensive pile) are only iconic because of their unattainability and format ruining power level.

My disappointment has very little to nothing to do with power level. I just don't think (for example) Khan's cards are "iconic." Where's Baron Sengir, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Teferi's Veil, Wiitigo, Rainbow Vale, Viashivan Dragon (with Kyscu drake and Spitting Drake), etc?

Maybe it's me, but when I think Iconic, I think nostalgia inducing cards that were "poster" cards for their sets. For example, I can remember the buzz when Duelist "spoiled" Mirage would have a 12/12 creature for 1 mana (back when spoilers were card descriptions, not full card art and text).

There's room for fun with iconic cards, but many of the cards that might fill that slot are also reserved. So, card choices like Furnace Whelp over Dragon Whelp just don't seem very iconic to me, sorry.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 12:30 am 

ImageImage

One of these cards is a real classic. A creature that's dating back to the very beginnings of Magic; it has seen play IN THE DECK THAT WON THE VERY FIRST MAGIC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!! And even though it has been downgraded from rare to uncommon due to power creep it still sees print in all manner of Magic products, from Welcome Decks to Commander products to a From the Vault set.

The other card is an overhyped and overpriced artifact that saw its popularity and price skyrocket in the last year or so. Since the announced reprinting in IM it went from 20+ bucks to 5-6.

One of these cards deserves ... no, SHOULD BE ... in a set that DARES to call itself Iconic Masters.

I'll let you guess which one it is.

Current EDH Decks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 12:30 am 

In case you are still wondering:

It's the freaking angel.

Current EDH Decks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 1:04 am 

Huh. Mishra's Bauble? I think I have probably a dozen of them sitting around somewhere, not seeing any use. Oh well, missed the boat on that one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 2:45 am 

Are we really complaining about reprinting Bauble? The card price spiked specifically because the supply was virtually nil and people "discovered" it for modern. Not to mention it will never get reprinted in a Standard set because its layout is one that isn't used anymore nowadays. From the standard of "what cards should be reprinted" there is literally no better choice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 7:36 am 

I wouldn't complain that the Bauble gets a reprint. It needs a reprint. But I would note that it is hardly "iconic" and could easily have slotted into Modern Masters or any other masters set/pre-con as well. Urza's Bauble was at least in the 96 Pro-Tour winning deck...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 11:54 am 

I mean, it is a stretch, but I think it is the most iconic example of "card that super spikes in price because it desperately needs a reprint".

I also think it spiked right after the last modern masters was done, so that would mean quite some time before they could include it in a MM set. And while it surely isn't impossible to create a precon where it fits, I feel like that would be almost certainly be forced.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-10 11:43 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
I have not seen anything compelling yet..

It would have to be a Gold-borderd not-legal-for-competition release. Too many reserve cards.

That and they already reprinted a ton of the iconic cards in EMA and previous MM sets.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile