Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:22 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 12:52 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
It's time for more Q&A, so feel free to ask below any questions you might have of me--whether it's Commander, Magic in general, or the life, universe, and everything. Please keep it clean. As many questions as possible will be answered in an upcoming SCG article.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 1:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
Any recent discussions of changing your (royal 'your') stance on Hybrid mana? It is this color OR that color. It makes logical sense that the color identity would therefore be one color OR the other.

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 3:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
Is there any commander you have really wanted to build around, but just can't find the cards or enough cards to do it? Are there any Magic-related video series/blogs you'd recommend? I've also noticed there's been a really big lull in activity around here--what do you think is the cause of it?

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 4:30 am 

Joined: 2016-Aug-15 1:21 pm
Age: Drake
What is your general experience with Mill in the Commander format?

Which Tribal, other then Slivers, would you say has the biggest power spike when converted from a normal Legacy and/or Vintage deck into a Commander deck?

_________________
Commanders:
-The Ur-Dragon-Five Color Dragon Tribal Deck
-Nekusar, the Mindrazer-Hardcore Mill Deck
-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 6:55 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Dec-03 3:16 am
Age: Elder Dragon
How much pull do you have when making the commander decks? Like for example if someone were to want a W/R/B Minotaur deck, could you make that happen?

*Obligatory* When is Recurring Nightmare going to be unbanned?

If you had to make a G/W deck using only Promo cards (FNM, FtV, Judge foils etc.) who would you choose and what themes/sub-themes would you use?

How many Command Towers do you think you have signed?

_________________
"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
J. R. R. Tolkien

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 8:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
What is your favorite and least favorite commander from the Commander products and why?

If the Rules Committee was disbanded and you were given full autocratic power over the rules of the format, what is the first change you would make to it?

Which is better, Beast Within or Krosan Grip?

What is your favorite color combination and why?

_________________
Current Generals:
III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 9:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Do you think Eminence (from the C17 Commander decks) is "Command Zone interaction done right" as opposed to Oloro and Derevi, which are generally considered command zone interaction done wrong, or do you think it's only OK this time because of the tribal restrictions on those abilities, and a more general Eminence ability could still be received as poorly as Oloro?

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 9:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Dec-10 12:16 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
How have you been doing?

What's the most unique/interesting deck theme you have made? You have played against?

If you could resurrect one discontinued keyword from Magic's history, what would it be?

If you could get a single set based on a book, film, or other media; what would you ask to see?

_________________
V/R

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 4:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-Nov-27 2:39 pm
Age: Dragon
What's the most fun or interesting interactive/political deck you've seen in your time?

Are there deck archetypes you'd challenge people to make more of?

What's it like being one of the people in charge of this crazily popular format?

What has the journey been like getting EDH/Commander to the popularity it's at today?

Is there anything you'd have changed foundationally about Commander if you could have gone back in time to when it started?

_________________
Decks: Chaos colored dragons, Mathas, the Instigator (politics and mayhem).
Beloved precons: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Saskia the Unyielding; Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 6:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jan-02 5:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Costa La Haya, capital del ducado Holanda
First things first: I hope you're healthy and recovering. Feel free to elaborate (I'm sure a lot of people want to know), but I understand if you want to keep things private.

Two questions:

You're in Florida, right? How do you ensure that your collection gets through the storm?

I'm curious about your feelings towards your Glissa decks. Glissa is my pet deck, so I pay attention to what you write about your Glissa decks. And, frankly, that isn't much. With a general that cares about artifacts I scour new sets for new inclusions of the artificial persuasion, but your rarely update these decks with new artifacts. Why? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?

_________________
"Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!"


Last edited by Shabbaman on 2017-Sep-07 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-07 7:14 pm 

Joined: 2013-Jun-23 10:18 am
Age: Elder Dragon
How much mana is "too much mana, too fast?" You've said Sol Ring does not meet the condition, so it's more than untapping with 4 mana on Turn 2. You've also said recently that Selvala, Heart of the Wilds might meet the condition. Can you be more precise? For example, if Sol Ring tapped for 3 would that be "too much, too fast"?

_________________
Current Commanders:

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 2:52 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Shabbaman wrote:
First things first: I hope you're healthy and recovering. Feel free to elaborate (I'm sure a lot of people want to know), but I understand if you want to keep things private.

Two questions:

You're in Florida, right? How do you ensure that your collection gets through the storm?


Figured this is better answered now.

The short version is that our house is built to the new hurricane codes—walls withstand 150mph winds, windows 130. We live in the central part of Florida, about 90 miles inland, and on relatively high ground (165 feet above sea level, which is basically a mountain around here). It looks like the storm is tracking right for us, but we’re unlikely to have flooding issues. By the time the storm gets here, it should weaken—although a Category 1 or 2 Hurricane is nothing to take lightly. My collection is in a closet in an interior part of the house, so it should be okay. We’ll have a few scary hours and hope no flying debris gets any of the windows. We're already stocked up in case the power is out long term, but I take solace in the fact that where we live is where many people are evacuating to. It's not going to be fun and is potentially dangerous, so we're just as prepared as we can be.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 3:23 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
I'm cutting off the questions this time here because I'm submitting early in advance of Hurricane Irma. I'd rather be in early than not be able to submit next week due to lack of power. Thanks to everyone for offering up some great questions and giving me quality material in rather short order.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 5:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
Sheldon wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
First things first: I hope you're healthy and recovering. Feel free to elaborate (I'm sure a lot of people want to know), but I understand if you want to keep things private.

Two questions:

You're in Florida, right? How do you ensure that your collection gets through the storm?


Figured this is better answered now.

The short version is that our house is built to the new hurricane codes—walls withstand 150mph winds, windows 130. We live in the central part of Florida, about 90 miles inland, and on relatively high ground (165 feet above sea level, which is basically a mountain around here). It looks like the storm is tracking right for us, but we’re unlikely to have flooding issues. By the time the storm gets here, it should weaken—although a Category 1 or 2 Hurricane is nothing to take lightly. My collection is in a closet in an interior part of the house, so it should be okay. We’ll have a few scary hours and hope no flying debris gets any of the windows. We're already stocked up in case the power is out long term, but I take solace in the fact that where we live is where many people are evacuating to. It's not going to be fun and is potentially dangerous, so we're just as prepared as we can be.



I saw elsewhere that you're well stocked on ammo. Do you list firearms as one of your subjects of connoisseurship or are they just a tool for a job?

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AMA September 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-08 6:08 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
scatteredsun wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
First things first: I hope you're healthy and recovering. Feel free to elaborate (I'm sure a lot of people want to know), but I understand if you want to keep things private.

Two questions:

You're in Florida, right? How do you ensure that your collection gets through the storm?


Figured this is better answered now.

The short version is that our house is built to the new hurricane codes—walls withstand 150mph winds, windows 130. We live in the central part of Florida, about 90 miles inland, and on relatively high ground (165 feet above sea level, which is basically a mountain around here). It looks like the storm is tracking right for us, but we’re unlikely to have flooding issues. By the time the storm gets here, it should weaken—although a Category 1 or 2 Hurricane is nothing to take lightly. My collection is in a closet in an interior part of the house, so it should be okay. We’ll have a few scary hours and hope no flying debris gets any of the windows. We're already stocked up in case the power is out long term, but I take solace in the fact that where we live is where many people are evacuating to. It's not going to be fun and is potentially dangerous, so we're just as prepared as we can be.



I saw elsewhere that you're well stocked on ammo. Do you list firearms as one of your subjects of connoisseurship or are they just a tool for a job?


Tool for a job. I don't particularly like guns, even though I have a CWP and carry nearly all the time.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: specter404 and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron