Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-15 6:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ixalan - Zombie Pirates riding Dinosaurs!!!
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-04 2:28 pm 

My guess is to make it less confusing for new players? Since the card changes type when it transforms, perhaps the reminder text is there so new players know which side goes face up in the graveyard?

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-04 2:35 pm 

They are DFC's, yes (confirmed on MaRo's Tumblr). They're not as common as Innistrad, you're not guaranteed to get one per pack. \

They are also confirmed to always be land on the back side, although he's not answering/is deflecting questions about whether they are all artifacts on the front side.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-04 3:19 pm 

niheloim wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Sentinel Totem looks like an EDH staple. Tormod's Crypt that hits all graveyards for 1 more mana?

I also like the Warrior Poet version of Huatli, but I'm desperately hoping that the other version is a PW deck walker, because I don't think I've ever seen such a weak planeswalker... ever.

My thoughts too. Had the other version been in the set it would guarantee I never open an Ixalan pack

Why would a garbage mythic prevent you from opening packs? Both versions are pretty terrible either way. Life gain or a bolt for 5 mana? Limited focused mythics are awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 1:37 am 

ImageImageImageImageImage

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 2:03 am 

I'm very much liking the look of this set for commander. Lots of useful cards, yet nothing disgustingly overpowered.

Conqueror's Foothold does look pretty silly with Time Warp effects, but it's both expensive to use and requires you attack with a non-haste creature that requires *other* creatures to be around in order to attack. All in all, if that ends up being the most groan worthy card in the set, I think we're doing pretty well.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 7:08 am 

Other than Conqueror's Galleon, which seems relatively simple to transform, these new DFCs feel like the old Zendikar quest cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 8:13 am 

Yaaaay another Maze of Ith variant....

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 8:38 am 

Viperion wrote:
Yaaaay another Maze of Ith variant....

And one that is (usually) way better than Mystifying Maze.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 8:47 am 

Epsilon wrote:
niheloim wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Sentinel Totem looks like an EDH staple. Tormod's Crypt that hits all graveyards for 1 more mana?

I also like the Warrior Poet version of Huatli, but I'm desperately hoping that the other version is a PW deck walker, because I don't think I've ever seen such a weak planeswalker... ever.

My thoughts too. Had the other version been in the set it would guarantee I never open an Ixalan pack

Why would a garbage mythic prevent you from opening packs? Both versions are pretty terrible either way. Life gain or a bolt for 5 mana? Limited focused mythics are awesome.

Because it was sooooo bad. I don't mind a bad card here and there... But man, that promo version is too bad for me to waste money on packs when I can just buy singles. I don't mind the gamble usually.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 11:08 am 

Journeyer's Kite 2? I'm in. Too bad the transform is non-optional.

And Dinosaurs might be bad, but screw it, they're fun.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-05 4:21 pm 

I like "Journeyer's Kite / Maze of Ith" a lot! Well, it's not exactly Maze of Ith, but it's close enough.

Speaking of bad mythics...

I don't know why they didn't make this an Instant. 7 mana to draw at sorcery speed is a bit much regardless of the number of cards, so as it is you'd need to play this for free (through Intet, Jeleva, Maelstrom Wanderer, ...) to make it viable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-06 12:11 am 

are these DFCs going to be in foil too? Will we have the triple rare packs?

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-06 1:13 am 

lumination wrote:
I like "Journeyer's Kite / Maze of Ith" a lot! Well, it's not exactly Maze of Ith, but it's close enough.

Speaking of bad mythics...

I don't know why they didn't make this an Instant. 7 mana to draw at sorcery speed is a bit much regardless of the number of cards, so as it is you'd need to play this for free (through Intet, Jeleva, Maelstrom Wanderer, ...) to make it viable.

I was a fan of Recurring Insight, but this is a bit... terrible. It could have been an instant and not ruined the world.

I think I'll try to jam it into Wanderer and Mizzix.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-06 1:18 am 

Overflowing Insight isn't an instant because Torrential Gearhulk is still Standard legal.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-06 2:17 am 

I don't quite know about terrible. I've played and enjoyed Opportunity and Flow of Ideas and this seems at worst comparable to both.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next