Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 4:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: uN$tabl3
AgePosted: 2017-Nov-24 11:42 am 

specter404 wrote:
Contraptions are technically legal in any extended format, just none of the cards that make them are.

What is your definition of legal?

They are not cards per MTR nor go into your constructed deck nor exist in any format beyond Un-constructed and limited.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-24 12:27 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
specter404 wrote:
Contraptions are technically legal in any extended format, just none of the cards that make them are.

What is your definition of legal?

They are not cards per MTR nor go into your constructed deck nor exist in any format beyond Un-constructed and limited.

Steamflogger Boss is why contraptions are technically legal in black border. Though 205.3G is the only section in the CR to reference them so far (until we get an Un-date).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-25 7:36 am 

I really like the set. I just wish it wasnt a set... I could see this as a standalone product that receives its own updates. Because the mechanics are so parasitic I cant imagine spending a lot time this new unstable world. Not enough oc the cards are playable in my current decks and I don't see enough room for crazy constructed decks with the card pool we've been given.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-25 12:37 pm 

I don't know if that makes them 'technically' legal, it's just a subtype. They didn't actually need to print a card that refers to Contraptions to make it a subtype, similarly to how Planeswalker was a type before PW cards were printed. You don't even have a contraptions deck in other formats and none of the un-set contraptions are legacy legal (and not just because cards were printed in a legacy-legal set that makes contraptions, but also because these are for the Un set).

At first i was actually reading that statement and i thought i knew that Boss assembles, but he doesn't.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-28 8:55 am 

Sovarius wrote:
You don't even have a contraptions deck in other formats.

It is my understanding that you could have a contraptions deck in any format, it's like the command zone, it's always there, it's just not used or referenced.

We will of course have to wait for the rules un-date to confirm either way. (I like that term Treamayne I'm going to steal it)

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-29 12:14 am 

specter404 wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
You don't even have a contraptions deck in other formats.

It is my understanding that you could have a contraptions deck in any format, it's like the command zone, it's always there, it's just not used or referenced.

I believe this would be correct, much like the Monarch is technically in every format, there's just nothing in modern/standard that activates it. Your Contraption deck has to be 0 cards, or a minimum of 15, and there's 0 legal cards in un-formats. Or, perhaps, the contraptions are legal in vintage/legacy (do they count as silver-bordered when they have no border?), but there's zero ways to assemble them.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 9:51 pm 

In a fun turn of events:
- Very Cryptic Command has 4 different versions with 4 different modes (same collector number but 2 different arts) (see below)
- Secret Base also has 5 different versions, one for each faction's visuel & watermark, with the same collector number & text
- Extremely Slow Zombie has 4 different season themed art with a tiny change in the zombie's posture to indicate very slow movement over a long time period.
- At least 2 Different versions of Ineffable Blessing one referring to odds/evens referring to collector's number, one to Flavourful/bland for the presence or not of flavour text. [Rumour states there's a 3rd that cares about White vs Silver borders. This suggests there'll be a 4th version.]
- Target Minotaur has multiple arts with the poor minotaur getting hit with various famous spells from Magic's history each time.
- There will be a printable option for Urza, Planeswalker for occasions / players who have no access to the net.
[EDIT]- Knight of the Kitchen Sink has at least 6 different versions giving different protections. So far we have protection from Black Border, 2-word names, lose lips (art with open mouths), odd collector numbers, even collector numbers, watermarks. Same art.
- 4 different Amateur Auteur arts but the same rules text. Flavour text for each references a new plane.

B/W Art:
Cryptic #1 Choose two:
Switch target creatur's P/T until EOT; Target creature is unblockable until EOT; Draw a card - if the art is by Wayne England, reveal it and draw another card; Assemble a contraption.

Colour Art:
Cryptic #2 Choose two:
Bounce target Permanent; Draw two, discard one; Change target of target spell with single target; Turn over target non-token creature.

Colour Art:
Cryptic #3 Choose two:
Draw a card from opponent's library; Copy taget instant/sorcery, you may choose new targets; Turn to Frog; Create a 1/1 Gnome.

Colour Art:
Cryptic #4 Choose two:
Scry 3; Create a 2/2 black Rogue with Menace; More or Less; Hurkyl's Recall.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 10:34 pm 

- Garbage elemental has at least 3 different versions with 2 abilities each time (Cascade & roll D6 for damage)(Last Strike & Batallion for "target creature can't block) (Frenzy 2 & unblockable by Wordy creatures) and different stats.
- Novellamental has 4 different flavour texts forming a small story.
- Sly Spy has et least 3 different texts all triggering off "When ~deals dmg to a player" (destroy creature facing left in art) (Roll d6, that player loses life = result) ("Bob" the top card of that player's library into your hand)
- Beast in Show has 4 different arts.
- Unconfirmed reports of multiple Killbots with different names/images/text but same costs/collector's numbers/stats

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 11:39 pm 

So, I think I know the answer to this question. But different effects most likely won't override having the same name for the purposes of the singleton rule, right? So I can't have the 4 Very Cryptic Commands in one deck?

(Sometimes I wish we had a Sheldon-signal).

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Last edited by Swmystery on 2017-Dec-04 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 11:45 pm 

Swmystery wrote:
So, I think I know the answer to this question. But different effects most likely won't override having the same name for the purposes of the singleton rule, right?

(Sometimes I wish we had a Sheldon-signal).

A case in favour of allowing multiple cards under the same name but different function would be e.g. Mary and her killbots. Of course that is not yet confirmed. We might need to wait until the 8th to see what the actual state of things are, rumors aside, before a ruling could be appropriate. After all they're fundamentally different cards... but they also happen to share the same name, because of Un-weirdness.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2017-Dec-05 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 12:02 am 

Hmmm... my plans to complete an all-foil set just got a lot more complicated...

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 2:49 am 

LOL, they should print a textless Very Cryptic Command just to REALLY screw with people :)

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 6:15 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
LOL, they should print a textless Very Cryptic Command just to REALLY screw with people :)

That would actually be pretty useful!!

If I used VCC in a commander deck I'd want to represent it with this proxy I slapped together:

If they give us one with blank text I've got something to make this real. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 4:57 pm 

This is good news, it allows me to get a few more cards into my cube that I didn't know about. Especially the new ones that don't refer to contraptions.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 7:26 pm 

There's a 3rd Ineffable Blessing that triggers off rarity (which would make 4 if the borders version is true) and a 5th Very Cryptic Command that I'm looking for the text on.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next