Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-19 5:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hour of Devastation
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-29 4:18 am 

Everblight wrote:

This seems like it could be fun with instant-speed buyback. For example get this to 3 Doom counters, and cast Capsize a few times in response to itself, stacking multiple doom triggers in a row and jumping from 3 to 7 or 8 counters in one fell swoop.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-29 8:15 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Everblight wrote:

This seems like it could be fun with instant-speed buyback. For example get this to 3 Doom counters, and cast Capsize a few times in response to itself, stacking multiple doom triggers in a row and jumping from 3 to 7 or 8 counters in one fell swoop.

I was looking to see if this could act as Sphinx-Bone wand 2.0 in my Mizzix deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-29 9:03 am 

Treamayne wrote:

This does not work. Doom triggers when you cast the spell, and buyback puts the spell back into your hand when it resolves. You can have Doom at 1 counter, cast Lightning Bolt and then cast another 1-mana instant in response to the trigger and get an extra counter for each, effectively loophole-ing past the 2-mana spell. But there is no real interaction between this and buyback.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-29 10:03 am 

um... You could always use Clockspinning to keep it at 1 counter and ping all day.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-29 10:15 am 

Looks like green gets a new auto include... I need a playset in foil.

Played in response to someone starting to bitch... Not sure what the text box actually reads.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 2:57 am 

Heaven forbid if Maro actually completes a land cycle... There should be a MTG lands supplemental set which soley completes all the land cycles carelessly left in the dust.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 4:40 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Heaven forbid if Maro actually completes a land cycle... There should be a MTG lands supplemental set which soley completes all the land cycles carelessly left in the dust.

It's not really that new a phenomenon. Look at how long it took for the Adarkar Wastes cycle to be brought to ten (and I'm not talking about Salt Flats; that was from a time when, for purely Vorthos motives, opposed dyads were supposed to have more trouble working.). Never mind that the Flood Plain cycle still has yet to get to ten. (I realize most players prefer the Onslaught/Zendikar variety of fetch, but this is a matter of principle.) My guess is that WotC would prefer not to "waste" space on the opposed dyads until the allied dyads' lands prove to be popular. The exception is when a set's theme is expressly multicolor.

Not that I get why the allied dyads get preferential treatment in the first place these days...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 4:50 am 

intreped wrote:
Treamayne wrote:

This does not work. Doom triggers when you cast the spell, and buyback puts the spell back into your hand when it resolves. You can have Doom at 1 counter, cast Lightning Bolt and then cast another 1-mana instant in response to the trigger and get an extra counter for each, effectively loophole-ing past the 2-mana spell. But there is no real interaction between this and buyback.

I blame still being half asleep for mis-thinking the spell and trigger would go to the stack at the same time so the player could choose the order. I'll have to think of some good (ab)uses for this...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 5:24 am 

Skyknight wrote:
Bruticus wrote:

It's not really that new a phenomenon. Look at how long it took for the Adarkar Wastes cycle to be brought to ten (and I'm not talking about Salt Flats; that was from a time when, for purely Vorthos motives, opposed dyads were supposed to have more trouble working.). Never mind that the Flood Plain cycle still has yet to get to ten. (I realize most players prefer the Onslaught/Zendikar variety of fetch, but this is a matter of principle.) My guess is that WotC would prefer not to "waste" space on the opposed dyads until the allied dyads' lands prove to be popular. The exception is when a set's theme is expressly multicolor.

Not that I get why the allied dyads get preferential treatment in the first place these days...

I would love to see the Odyssey filters completed... I would punch a baby to get:

Simic Filter
Land

1, T: add UG to you mana pool.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 5:17 pm 

Hour of Eternity makes complete sense at XXBBB..... why on earth would this spell be XXUUU?

Choose something blue for the blue hour!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 6:11 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Hour of Eternity makes complete sense at XXBBB..... why on earth would this spell be XXUUU?

I'm guessing it's because it doesn't bring the cards out of the graveyard, but instead clones them?

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-30 9:42 pm 

Willbender wrote:
Viperion wrote:

I'm guessing it's because it doesn't bring the cards out of the graveyard, but instead clones them?

There are 15 cards in Magic currently that exile a creature card from a graveyard and make a zombie token of some kind. 12 of them are black. (The two blue ones are both from Innistrad, and the other one is colourless)

Source: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aexil ... rd&s=cname

(note I'm not counting the madness and flashback spells that this search returns)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-01 3:24 am 

Viperion wrote:

Choose something blue for the blue hour!

Token copies from the yard is absolutely a blue ability... the zombie part is HoD flavor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-01 10:24 am 

Back From the Brink
Body Double
Shapeshifter's Marrow

Not a lot in mono blue, but mostly a blue ability as we also have Dimir Doppelganger, Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, The Mimeoplasm, and Feldon of the Third Path

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-01 12:16 pm 

Read my post three posts up :P

Blue has Stitcher Geralf, Undead Alchemist and Havengul Runebinder.

Black has
Bridge from Below
Cemetery Reaper
Corpseweft
Ghoulcaller's Accomplice
Graf Harvest
Midnight Ritual
Necromancer's Covenant (also white)
Null Caller
Return (from Never // Return)
Ritual of the Returned
Shamble Back
Vile Rebirth

It's clearly more a black ability than a blue one.

Ask some random magic player what colour "exile a creature from a graveyard and make a zombie token of it" is, and 19 out of 20 will say black.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next