Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-09 6:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Idiotic Combo
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-02 2:08 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Anyone come up with any idiotic combos involving Ixalan cards?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-02 2:47 am 

Sheldon wrote:

Conqueror's Foothold + (Early Harvest/Reset/Rude Awakening/Turnabout)
Kinda boring, but Value-Barge (as I like to call it) is a decent card in it's own right.

Jace, Cunning Castaway + Doubling Season is pretty well known, but still "new".

Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage + The Chain Veil + Karn, Silver Golem + Mana Dorks *or* Mana Rocks.

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-02 3:43 am 

Cast Saheeli's Artistry on a Spellskite and a Horizon Chimera and then play Shapers' Sanctuary. The next time an opponent plays a spell that could target Spellskite you can draw any number of cards.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-02 7:39 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Coco wrote:
Cast Saheeli's Artistry on a Spellskite and a Horizon Chimera and then play Shapers' Sanctuary. The next time an opponent plays a spell that could target Spellskite you can draw any number of cards.

Perfectly idiotic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-02 7:40 am 

A couple more:

1)

Ranging Raptors + Retreat to Kazandu + Akoum Hellkite + Zuran Orb + Wheel of Sun and Moon

Play a non-Mountain land to trigger landfall putting a +1/+1 counter on Ranging Raptors with Retreat to Kazandu and also dealing 1 to it with Akoum Hellkite. With the enrage trigger on the stack, sacrifice a non-Mountain basic land to Zuran Orb and Wheel of Sun and Moon will put it on the bottom of your library. Fetch the basic land out with the enrage trigger to restart the process.

Arbitrary life gain and arbitrarily large Ranging Raptors (warning: it still trades with a Grizzly Bears in combat the turn the combo goes off because it has an arbitrarily large amount damage on it). Add any other landfall effect to taste.

2)

This one works best with a five-color general you can play, but theoretically you could steal the necessary colored cards with one of the combo pieces.

Bloom Tender + (five-color general) + Mana Reflection + Bazaar Trader + Illusionist’s Bracers + Captivating Crew

Start with Illusionist’s Bracers equipped to Bazaar Trader. Tap Bloom Tender for WWUUBBRRGG with Mana Reflection and a five-color general. Activate Bazaar Trader using to give itself away using its ability and give Bloom Tender away with the copy of its ability that Illusionist’s Bracers creates. Activate Captivating Crew to get them both back and untap them for 6RR, leaving two mana of any non-red color(s).

Arbitrary amount of non-red mana, works out pretty well if the aforementioned five-color general happens to be Sliver Queen.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-03 5:29 am 

I have a way in my Muzzio deck to vomit my deck onto the field...

Muzzio, Isochron Scepter w/Dramatic Reversal with a Sol Ring, and any mana dorks/rocks equalling Muzzio's activation cost. For added benefit, Illusionist's Bracers on Muzzio.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-03 12:13 pm 

So to start off with, this is a dumb combo that needs a lot of things, so we're gonna start off with Mind Over Matter, Arcanis the Omnipotent and one of the original Eldrazi titans. (Yeah I know this could just win you the game. Shush.) Point is, the only practical way to do this is with infinite mana and recursion. So it's a little unwieldy, but the payoff is worth it. At least, I think it is.

So now for some shenanigans. Let's start off with a Mycosynth Lattice. Then let's throw in a Crucible of Fire. Let's make a bunch more of them with Saheeli's Artistry. But you know what? That's kinda greedy, isn't it? Let's Donate some to each player. Share the love.

Now we'll player a Conspiracy and reveal that all of our creatures are secretly dragons. But that's not all. We're gonna copy it with Saheeli's Artistry and Donate a copy to each player, because it turns out all creatures are secretly dragons. (I guess if we wanted Ixalan cards we could do Arcane Adaptation? Plus that keeps us out of black.)

Now, Form of the Dragon. Copy it, give away the copies. Because all players are also dragons.

Finally, the master stroke. March of the Machines.

All permanents are now dragons.

The players are also dragons.

Everything is now dragon.

Then, like, idk, play Karthus, Tyrant of Jund or something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-06 6:57 am 

Coco wrote:
2)

This one works best with a five-color general you can play, but theoretically you could steal the necessary colored cards with one of the combo pieces.

Bloom Tender + (five-color general) + Mana Reflection + Bazaar Trader + Illusionist’s Bracers + Captivating Crew

Start with Illusionist’s Bracers equipped to Bazaar Trader. Tap Bloom Tender for WWUUBBRRGG with Mana Reflection and a five-color general. Activate Bazaar Trader using to give itself away using its ability and give Bloom Tender away with the copy of its ability that Illusionist’s Bracers creates. Activate Captivating Crew to get them both back and untap them for 6RR, leaving two mana of any non-red color(s).

Arbitrary amount of non-red mana, works out pretty well if the aforementioned five-color general happens to be Sliver Queen.

Lets see if this works:
* 10 of each W, U, B, G in mana pool - at the start of the loop
* Tap Bloom Tender, have 12 (WUBG) 2 (R)
* Activate Bazaar Trader
* Spend WUB to move Bracers to Captivating Crew - Pool: 11 (WUB) 12 (G) 2 (R)
* Spend WUBR (3R) to activate Captivating Crew (x2 cuz of bracers) Pool: 10 (WUB) 12 (G) 1 (R)
* Spend 3 non-red mana (GGW for example) to move Bracers back to Bazaar Trader; Pool: 9 (W) 10 (UBG) 1 (R)
... And back at the start of the loop, and you've traded one non-red mana for 1 red mana ... so, you can get infinite mana of any colour!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-06 7:33 am 

That's true. And it means you can permanently give yourself (or any other player) control of each creature on the battlefield by stealing it with Captivating crew, then using Bazaar Trader on it and itself (with Bracers), then stealing the Trader back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-07 10:54 am 

Sheldon wrote:

Play R&D's Secret Lair
Board wipe
Cast Hostage Taker

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-07 1:29 pm 

New Dino-Tribal deck is liking:

Bellowing Aegisaur
Ravenous Daggertooth
Rite of Passage
Pyrohemia

Even without massive red mana generation, they grow quickly while the opponents dwindle and die.

Edit: So, it seems that adding Raptor Hatchling and Phyrexian Altar make this "infinite." R to start, keep sacking the new tokens to make the Dinos as large as you want, or just kill with Pyrohemia Damage.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 7:05 am 

Ooped into this one in my Hazezon Tamar Enchantress deck

Sigil of the Empty Throne + Fecundity + Phyrexian Altar + Rancor

Sac a Rancor'd Angel to the Altar for G, draw a card, recast Rancor, get an angel, repeat.

I just happened to have Fecundity, works with any of the Enchantresses

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-12 5:24 am 

Old combo with a new twist

Squirrel Nest + Earthcraft + Throne of the God-Pharaoh

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-13 9:55 pm 

Related to the above, more tricks with Throne of the God Pharaoh:

First, get your Throne. Every evil mastermind needs a good seat to watch the proceedings.

Second, get your Orb of Dreams. Everything now comes in tapped.

Third, untap with as much mana as you can. Then play your choice of mass token-maker: Decree of Justice, White Sun's Zenith, Tempt with Vengeance, Avenger of Zendikar. For style points, I like Deploy to the Front, but do what you like.

Fourth, twirl your moustache villainously as your opponents take massive damage and probably die, assuming you chose your spot correctly.

This looks like it's a lot of work, I know, but my playgroup frowns on properly infinite combos and this one is colour-agnostic. Both the Orb and Throne are colourless and you can fill in the "make as many creatures as you can" part in basically any deck. I like the pairing in Purphoros as it supplements the "make a lot of creatures and kill everyone" plan of the deck anyway.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-15 3:09 am 

Aether Flash + Polyraptor is pretty dumb. Especially since the 7th Edition art for Aether Flash has a raptor on it...

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next