Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Jun-22 11:22 am

Post subject: Re: AMA for June 2017
AgePosted: 2017-May-26 2:05 am 

Despite it not being in the spirit or the intention of the format, competitive multiplayer EDH has continued to gain popularity. Do you think there is a possible future where the philosophy on bannings or rules changes bends in a way to support these players?

Also, thank you for everything that you and the rules committee have done to make and maintain my favorite MTG format. Commander has come a long way since it's creation, and it's a very important and valuable activity in my life. I hope to still be playing this format 10 years from now, because it's the most fun I've ever had in a card game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 5:27 am 

Q: When building a deck that is trying to use a certain theme or class of cards, what do you do when that theme becomes too big to fit into the deck? For example, I'm currently trying to build a Zombie-tribal deck that could easily be 130 cards. How do you make the difficult final cuts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-29 3:26 pm 

What's your least favorite brand of wine?

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-30 1:57 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Wolfsbane706 wrote:

Since I've already posted the article, I'll tell you that overpriced wines which trade on only their marketing department are my least favorite--Opus One is a prime example.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-30 5:45 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Wolfsbane706 wrote:

Since I've already posted the article, I'll tell you that overpriced wines which trade on only their marketing department are my least favorite--Opus One is a prime example.

Linky

Quote:
Rainbow Stairwell doesn't make sense, since it has different deck construction rules.

EDH Modified Rainbow Stairwell. is a 5 color General with:

5 of each basic land
10 (1 cycle) of multi-color lands (e.g. Rav Gate Cycle, Khans life lands, or Shock lands for more affluent players)
8 "Any color"/Colorless/utility lands
8 Artifacts CMC 1-8
8 White CMC 1-8
8 Blue CMC 1-8
8 Black CMC 1-8
8 Red CMC 1-8
8 Green CMC 1-8
8 Gold CMC 1-8

*Suggested House Rule - Hybrid may slot as one of its colors. E.g. Mercy Killing could slot at 3 cmc for W, G or Gold

It's some creative deckbuilding, and runs high on lands (which allows some leniency) but can be rather interesting. Mostly I've only tried my Elemental Horde of Notions version against normal decks.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-30 6:24 pm 

Sheldon wrote:

Thank you for answering my question about the process of banning/unbanning and/or changing the rules of commander. It was very interesting to learn more about the process you guys go through. I really like the system.

I believe this is the link to the AMA, for posterity.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35 ... ilbag.html

Offline Profile