Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 12:05 am

Post subject: Re: What exactly IS wrong with arms races?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 3:13 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
The trick is making sure everyone at the table is having fun. If your group likes the arms race and playing the fast and furious decks then there's nothing wrong with it.

It gets tricky when you don't have a solid group and have to deal with lots of random people, you have to *gasp* TALK to the other players.

I agree with the sentiment, but the no solid group part really isn't relevant here - you can't really have an arms race without a semi-consistent group, because there's no one to race with. "Arms race" implies that I improve my deck so you improve yours and he improves his and she improves hers and so on until everyone's deck is a purring engine of pure undistilled badassery that kills turn 2 every game. I am of course being a little hyperbolic here, but think about it this way - would the US have as many nuclear weapons as we do if the Soviet Union hadn't been there? Probably not. It's the presence of a rival that constantly seeks to better you that fuels an arms race. Playing with randoms doesn't really do this.

Ah, I disagree and cite Card Kingdom as an example. In the early days, one could usually find a good game. Typically started in Mox and when Mox got busy we'd move to CK proper. I'd run into one, maybe two people I knew and had played with before, but it was typically different folks each night. Games were good. Had lots of fun with decks that weren't very good. The occasional badass deck came along and those piloting the decks would play them once and the put them away for something more casual.

Fast forward through the years (with frame preview). Wizards introduces the commander sets and more and more powerful cards. The kind of cards that look fun to the new/super casual that turn out are not so much fun. People started jamming all the good stuff they could. So begins the arms race. It was a casual build up until it hit critical mass then exploded into an all out orgy of Praetors and Counterspells. CK built a reputation and drew cutthroat EDH players. Now there's a group or two at Mox Boarding House (CardKingdom2.0) and CK that specialize in competitive EDH.

EDIT: I take it back. Thought about it a bit. You're right. It was just a large semi-consistent group at CK.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 4:23 am 

Swarm wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
you have to *gasp* TALK to the other players.

I wont do it and you can't make me!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 12:48 pm 

Quote:
EDIT: I take it back. Thought about it a bit. You're right. It was just a large semi-consistent group at CK.

Seattle/Bellevue?

Ive played legacy events at Mox but i live in Olympia so its far to travel for casual games but i wouldnt consider sometime if there is an event or regular meetup. I think i may move to California in a few months but i like to experience playing with more groups so a bit of a travel would be worth it since im just leaving anyway. If you dont mind, ill shoot you a pm and try to invite myself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-26 3:20 pm 

Arcane Archer wrote:
Fast forward five years to today, we're having more fun today than ever before, my friends have seriously more competitive decks, and I've taken the foot off of the gas such that I lose more than I used to, and that's alright.
I think this is what keeps it from actually being an arms race. People wanted to scale up, and did so. Then when it got fun, it leveled off.

Like people have said, its about everyone wanting the same type of fun. Its a tough balance on occasion, but it seems you nailed it.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile