Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Jul-23 7:38 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 11:48 am 

Joined: 2016-Oct-11 12:53 am
Age: Wyvern
Curious if anyone on this board has their own language. I have samples on Facebook if folks are interested.

_________________
Hae ettu ir'corso. Thoughts born of earnest love do not coerce.
Celia Ishoon
Designer of a couple Magic cards like Humble Defector and Containment Priest.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 12:26 pm 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
We all speak Magic. Like most hobbies it has its own dialect. I do not aspire to be the next J.R.R. Tolkien and start from scratch though.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 12:48 pm 

Joined: 2016-Oct-11 12:53 am
Age: Wyvern
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
We all speak Magic. Like most hobbies it has its own dialect. I do not aspire to be the next J.R.R. Tolkien and start from scratch though.


"Stewardess, I speak jive."

_________________
Hae ettu ir'corso. Thoughts born of earnest love do not coerce.
Celia Ishoon
Designer of a couple Magic cards like Humble Defector and Containment Priest.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 2:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
sea bee blue wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
We all speak Magic. Like most hobbies it has its own dialect. I do not aspire to be the next J.R.R. Tolkien and start from scratch though.


"Stewardess, I speak jive."

:lol:

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 6:23 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
I'm on an intensive "decrypting teenage girl-speak" course at the moment. :)

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 10:02 pm 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
zimagic wrote:
I'm on an intensive "decrypting teenage girl-speak" course at the moment. :)


Totes McGoats.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-17 3:02 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
sea bee blue wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
We all speak Magic. Like most hobbies it has its own dialect. I do not aspire to be the next J.R.R. Tolkien and start from scratch though.


"Stewardess, I speak jive."


YES! :D :D :D

I have my hands full mangling English. No time to create my own :)


I recently did some digging into Anglish. Anglish is a thought-experiment where they take the non-Germanic words out of the English language in an attempt to bring English back to a pure form.

It strips out the romance language words and replaces them with Germanic equivalents. For example, instead of the word 'literature', you would use bookcraft. Or, instead of 'ancestor', it would be forekind.

It all sounds very cool when put together.

"a nameknown showplayer I've seen on the farseeer"
A famous celebrity I've see on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 4:03 am 

Joined: 2016-Mar-16 12:03 pm
Age: Drake
Anglish? Lol, that effort is like complaining against evolution because humans have two legs instead of four (the other two limbs evolving into arms). Languages evolve based on geography and external influence...hell, even internal changes. Even Queen's English has evolved, let alone American English where we are a nation of immigrants. I'm guessing you already know this, I mean who doesn't?, but why are these dudes doing this thought experiment? Your example of Anglish provided is straight up whack sounding. No Edgar Allen Poe or Henry David Thoreau possible with that stuff. :D

_________________
Current decks:
Xenagos, God of Revels - Hydras

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 5:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Jan-06 10:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Seattle
Arcane Archer wrote:
Anglish? Lol, that effort is like complaining against evolution because humans have two legs instead of four (the other two limbs evolving into arms). Languages evolve based on geography and external influence...hell, even internal changes. Even Queen's English has evolved, let alone American English where we are a nation of immigrants. I'm guessing you already know this, I mean who doesn't?, but why are these dudes doing this thought experiment? Your example of Anglish provided is straight up whack sounding. No Edgar Allen Poe or Henry David Thoreau possible with that stuff. :D


Lol, to each their own. I personally enjoy the way it combines words and the use of older, abandoned words. Even Poe would be better with a Beowulf flair.

Why do any thought experiment? For personal enlightenment and the enjoyment of looking at things a different way. I don't think they're complaining about anything.

_________________
Glissa, the Traitor -> Voltron
Mayael the Anima -> Flopping Fatties
Phenax, God of Deception -> Grave Rats
Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 8:33 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
Well, I haven't created a spoken language, but I did create a cipher I use when I don't want the majority of people to know what I'm writing. That's all I've got though.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 1:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Dec-10 12:16 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Segrus wrote:
Well, I haven't created a spoken language, but I did create a cipher I use when I don't want the majority of people to know what I'm writing. That's all I've got though.


This, and an alphabet or three with some work in decoding fabricated written text for fiction (such as ongoing attempts to use deciphered Women's Script and Thaylen alphabets in the Stormlight Archive to translate and decipher the Alethi Glyphs).

That said, I've studied a number of actual languages (formally and informally) as well as hobbied in aspects of lingual etymology.

_________________
V/R

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 1:25 pm 

Joined: 2016-Oct-11 12:53 am
Age: Wyvern
Segrus wrote:
Well, I haven't created a spoken language, but I did create a cipher I use when I don't want the majority of people to know what I'm writing. That's all I've got though.


Would love to see a sample. :D

I have samples on my Facebook page if people are interested. Heads up, it has a religious bent, especially my last few posts. Nothing offensive, but I don't want people feeling like they got suckered into reading.

_________________
Hae ettu ir'corso. Thoughts born of earnest love do not coerce.
Celia Ishoon
Designer of a couple Magic cards like Humble Defector and Containment Priest.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 3:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
Treamayne wrote:
This, and an alphabet or three with some work in decoding fabricated written text for fiction (such as ongoing attempts to use deciphered Women's Script and Thaylen alphabets in the Stormlight Archive to translate and decipher the Alethi Glyphs).

That said, I've studied a number of actual languages (formally and informally) as well as hobbied in aspects of lingual etymology.

That's all pretty cool. I've always been somewhat interested in language, but haven't taken an opportunity yet to delve into it. I know I should sooner rather than later. Just so many other things I have on my plate to do.
sea bee blue wrote:
Would love to see a sample. :D

I have samples on my Facebook page if people are interested. Heads up, it has a religious bent, especially my last few posts. Nothing offensive, but I don't want people feeling like they got suckered into reading.

Sure thing (sorry for the couple of mistakes, I was writing too quickly):
Image

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 3:46 pm 

Joined: 2016-Oct-11 12:53 am
Age: Wyvern
Segrus wrote:

Image


Beautiful. :D

_________________
Hae ettu ir'corso. Thoughts born of earnest love do not coerce.
Celia Ishoon
Designer of a couple Magic cards like Humble Defector and Containment Priest.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any Conglangers out there?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-19 2:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
sea bee blue wrote:
Segrus wrote:

Image


Beautiful. :D

Thank you. It works for me. Doesn't typically take longer than writing English in print, at least for me, so that's useful.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: