Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-17 7:23 pm

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite commander deck(s) and why?
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-20 3:59 am 

I only have four edh decks compared to 17 60-card format decks, and I've only played the edh format for about a year, so not a lot to choose from. However, my favorite Commander is Xenagos, God of Revels. I play a lot of complicated decks with major synergies so much in my group that Gruul is a nice break that takes me back to the early days of Shivan Dragon and Force of Nature anchoring decks (except that now cards are better). Simple, straightforward disruption of opponents' resources and ramping early on with mid-to-late game hydras powering out make for a very satisfying palette-cleanser and has played better than expected. I just wanted to hammer people with big gas hydras (like literally the only reason I built it). Big Gas... :wink: Winning was something of a secondary goal.

As I play my two newest decks more (Damia and Jenara) that focus on fun combat tricks, it might change, but grad school is wrecking playtime availability currently, and Xenagos has been very kind to me.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-22 12:30 pm 

I've been playing for around 5 or so years and one of the first decks I made was Kaervek the Merciless. I built the deck around Pyromancy and cards that have synergy with high CMC. There is nothing like Discarding your hand for 70 points of damage out of no where. It also makes every new release more interesting because I am also looking for those horrible high CMC cards.

Here is my list...
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-09-14 ... merciless/

http://edhofmn.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Willmsy on 2017-Feb-22 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-22 1:05 pm 

As my sig suggests my number one pet deck is Ghost Council of Orzhov. This was my very first deck and started out as "I want to play black/white, lets see what generals I can have". Over time I have fallen in love with the lore of the council and orzhov.

I love the control, the synergy, the combo potential, great threats, great removal. It's a deck that can play from multiple angles, taking over the board or holding back and looking unassuming with a couple rattle-snakes. It's the first deck I ever built and no deck gets a card over the Ghost council.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-22 8:10 pm 

My favorite deck has been Riku of two reflections for years. Main goal, with more or less attention over the years, has been to cast and copy Endless Swarm, or Undying Flames or Eternal Dominion, and then try and close out the game with four, five copies of any of those spells every turn. What was fun, is that plan A of this deck only needs a skeleton of about thirty cards, so it's always been used a test lab for cards from new expansions.

Currently Riku is benched, started to draw too much hate. First deck I pull out every time is now Atraxa, Praetors' voice. I made it an all-gold counters deck. It's hard to get the mana I need sometimes, there isn't a lot of multicolored ramp and fix, but there are a lot of fun interactions and after the initial 'kill Atraxa player with hellfire!' sentiment ebbed away, I don't die by turn six anymore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-23 3:25 am 

It's tough to say because I have 11 EDH decks at the moment, with them constantly being tweaked or foiled little by little which can cause one to see a bit more play than others.

Overall favorites though are likely Sliver Overlord, Marath, Will of the Wild and Odric, Master Tactician.

Sliver Overlord is a tool box deck that let's me adapt as needed. Also helps that it's the definition of living the dream. The hate will come, but if I get there, all the better!

Marath is somewhat unusual from everyone else's list because it's a Naya Superfriends deck with token support and a few combos that can help me close out games, but it doesn't play the same and has Congregation at Dawn and Tooth and Nail as the only tutor effects.

Odric 1.0 is my Soldier tribal deck. Something super satisfying about controlling all aspects of combat during my attack step, including what is basically unblockability

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 3:40 am 

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-02-17-dragonstorm/ by far

Why? It's a Dragonstorm deck.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 8:03 am 

crimsonwings3689 wrote:
It's tough to say because I have 11 EDH decks at the moment...

Yeah, just think if you had around 60. :oops:

I don't know. I think B Movie Monsters of Animar make it up there, because it took so long to make it's sort of a personal achievement for me. But I also really enjoy the simplicity of Thromok, and how satisfying it is to terrify a table with a hexproof, trample 100/100. Then my favorite tribal deck is definitely my dredge Horde of Notions, even though I generally like the Sliver tribe. And then there's budget decks, with Dralnu being surprisingly smooth. That all being said, recently Yidris has genuinely impressed me and I think I could come around to placing it very high on my list of favorite decks.

Yet the decks I play the most are Mono Green Devotion (with Polukranos) and Anax & Cymede (Enchantress). So I suppose you could conclude those two would be my favorite, it's just that they're good to play in an unknown environment. I do like them a lot though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 7:49 pm 

Without a doubt my Ephara deck. It has an answer for everything and the card advantage is "slow" enough that it doesn't start to draw threat until it's too late. Everyone underestimates her and doesn't really catch on to the fact that I'm drawing 3+ cards per round since it's 1 per player turn. I tried retiring her to build a Noyan Dar deck and some other UW decks but I keep coming back to her. She's just too amazing.

However, I recently had to take a few key cards (Aether Vial and Mox Opal) from her to trade up to a Volcanic Island from someone. I've temporarily replaced those cards but she's still taking a back seat to other decks til I can get new copies of them. I, of course, had to build a deck to make use of the new land and built a grixis spellslinger deck around Kraum and Vial Smasher. Vial Smasher is unbelievably powerful. I've noticed that Kraum, while powerful, is honestly more there for the color with how ridiculous Vial Smasher is. Definitely a good general for a spellslinger deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-26 7:45 am 

Ephara has proven to be a great deck for me as well, I haven't played her in a while and should really update her. Do you have your list online Epsilon? Mine is pretty straight forward with token generators and a lot of enchantments. Sacred Mesa being the best card of the lot, I put quite some effort into obtaining Pegasus tokens for it.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-26 4:56 pm 

specter404 wrote:
Ephara has proven to be a great deck for me as well, I haven't played her in a while and should really update her. Do you have your list online Epsilon? Mine is pretty straight forward with token generators and a lot of enchantments. Sacred Mesa being the best card of the lot, I put quite some effort into obtaining Pegasus tokens for it.

I have a list on mtgvault but it's a bit outdated... http://www.mtgvault.com/epsilon-2/decks/ephara-edh/

I'd say ~10 cards have changed since this was accurate but the general feel is the same. Definitely need the mox and the vial back for it though...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-04 9:42 am 

Usually my most recent monoblack deck, black being my favourite colour. I've had many, many monoblack over my time in EDH.

It's currently Toshiro Umezawa. It just feels good; always have answers, always feels interactive. It has so much comeback potential with Crypt Incursion and Tendrils of Corruption. Gas for days with Foul Renewal. I also get to play a lot of my pet cards, like Shred Memory and Imp's Mischief. I can play with stuff like Cremate and Headstone and just kind of use it, without really worrying if I need it later.

I just bought a Word of Command for it, so I could mess with people. Also, Overseer of the Damned feels so right in a deck loaded with creature hate.

It's feels powerful, with cards like Snuff Out and Slaughter Pact. Or Scour from Existence.

It just feels good, you know?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-06 12:24 am 

Sinis wrote:
Usually my most recent monoblack deck, black being my favourite colour. I've had many, many monoblack over my time in EDH.

It's currently Toshiro Umezawa. It just feels good; always have answers, always feels interactive. It has so much comeback potential with Crypt Incursion and Tendrils of Corruption. Gas for days with Foul Renewal. I also get to play a lot of my pet cards, like Shred Memory and Imp's Mischief. I can play with stuff like Cremate and Headstone and just kind of use it, without really worrying if I need it later.

I just bought a Word of Command for it, so I could mess with people. Also, Overseer of the Damned feels so right in a deck loaded with creature hate.

It's feels powerful, with cards like Snuff Out and Slaughter Pact. Or Scour from Existence.

It just feels good, you know?

Ooo I'm jealous. I've wanted a Word of Command for awhile now but I always ended up getting something else.

Done any cool plays with it yet?

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-06 3:54 am 

Mayael the Anima. It's my oldest deck and the only one I've never taken apart.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-06 11:41 am 

Mina and Denn, Wildborn. Ramp and fatties, with a small toolbox of utility lands. Plays like the RG decks I used to jam at lunch in middle school, but the occasional well-timed scapeshift can steal games out of nowhere. I have a competitively tuned Zur and Ezuri that's just missing the candles, but Mina and Denn is always the first thing I reach for when I sit down at a table. Runner-up goes to Ayli cleric/rebel tribal.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-06 3:09 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=56875 because you did this to yourself.

Offline Profile