Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 6:11 am

Post subject: Watching Magic Games
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-22 3:09 pm 

How many of you watch or have watched online videos of Magic being played? Commander VS is one we watch a lot of, and when I have the opportunity I will watch some of the other SCG videos. I've also watched a few different homebrew videos, some better than others. I always mean to watch a stream of the bigger tournaments, but don't always remember in time.

Do you all like the full game shown, or just highlights? I'm kinda interested in the whole thing because I've been contemplating attempting my own video series. I have some ideas and have been working up the courage to try, since I do feel like I sound stupid on tape...anyway, happy to hear opinions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Watching Magic Games
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-22 11:09 pm 

I have watched stuff like BBD vs CVM on Starcity... never really gave any thought to watching tournaments.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 12:50 am 

Segrus wrote:
How many of you watch or have watched online videos of Magic being played?

Nope. Tried once or twice (once was an MTGO V4 demo video - IIRC), but quickly realized Magic isn't a spectator sport to me.

That said, I would suggest highlights unless its an unusually short game. I can't imagine trying to watch a full multiplayer EDH game.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 2:41 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Segrus wrote:
How many of you watch or have watched online videos of Magic being played?

Nope. Tried once or twice (once was an MTGO V4 demo video - IIRC), but quickly realized Magic isn't a spectator sport to me.

That said, I would suggest highlights unless its an unusually short game. I can't imagine trying to watch a full multiplayer EDH game.

Commander VS does the full game, and when they are cracking jokes it flows pretty smoothly. Otherwise it ends up being mostly background noise, like virtually any other TV show, which is the case more often than not. Why still watch it then? Well...I don't know: part habit, part just wanting more Magic, maybe?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 2:45 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I have watched stuff like BBD vs CVM on Starcity... never really gave any thought to watching tournaments.

As for tournament play, I like the thought of getting to see better players than myself pilot decks I'm interested in. I'm very unlikely to ever participate in a tournament again, but I still want to sharpen what skills I have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 3:16 am 

I enjoy watching the drafts of pros like LSV and Caleb D. If the deck is interesting, I'll watch the games too.

I prefer to watch older formats like Holiday Cube, Vintage Super League, SCG Legacy Events (before they were cut). Lately I've been on a 93/94 Magic kick. I'm trying to understand how games felt back in the day as I'd like to mimic that feeling in my cube.

Even though I rather play multiplayer commander, I used to regularly watch the 1v1 Commander games SCG would post. The Commander Vs Series is funny and all (that Chair deck was awesome), but it's too hard to follow a 4 player game on my phone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 6:00 am 

I've watched a few, mostly when I was tournament playing and looking for new deck/tech. My favorites are ones that play sped up with quick commentary or good music playing. The commander series I've looked at a few times and enjoy them, but they are long. The good thing is they try to focus on the fun aspect over competition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 8:23 am 

I try to watch the Pro Tour and some Grand Prix. I think it's a good way to improve myself, not necessarily deck building as EDH is vastly different from competitive formats but rather the gameplay, the little interactions and ways to handle some situations.

I've watched a few games of Commander VS, usually based on interest in a given deck. They're fun, but sometimes I'd prefer less talk. I feel the games could be shorter this way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 8:55 am 

I also watch Commander VS, and occasionally tune into GP's/PT's. I don't watch drafts b/c I don't know Standard well enough to know what's going on.

On a related note, I'd like to be in your videos (somehow...) I have a reasonable setup at home (I have a small YouTube channel of my own, mostly with Minecraft content ;) ) and it would be cool to make some Magic videos, although not sure how it would work over Skype or something. Post up a link if/when you do it, I'd be keen to watch!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 9:50 am 

Viperion wrote:
I also watch Commander VS, and occasionally tune into GP's/PT's. I don't watch drafts b/c I don't know Standard well enough to know what's going on.

On a related note, I'd like to be in your videos (somehow...) I have a reasonable setup at home (I have a small YouTube channel of my own, mostly with Minecraft content ;) ) and it would be cool to make some Magic videos, although not sure how it would work over Skype or something. Post up a link if/when you do it, I'd be keen to watch!

PM'd you about this. :D
lumination wrote:
I try to watch the Pro Tour and some Grand Prix. I think it's a good way to improve myself, not necessarily deck building as EDH is vastly different from competitive formats but rather the gameplay, the little interactions and ways to handle some situations.

I've watched a few games of Commander VS, usually based on interest in a given deck. They're fun, but sometimes I'd prefer less talk. I feel the games could be shorter this way.

The talking in Commander VS. is both entertaining and distracting. I'd be interested in seeing how the dynamic of the group changes by having McDarby in on one of the multiplayer ones. He's always kept my attention in the videos.

Otherwise you're right, watching other formats get played don't really help with EDH play, but I'm a firm believer in watching other people's strategies and deck structures to improve my own.
Jelik wrote:
I've watched a few, mostly when I was tournament playing and looking for new deck/tech. My favorites are ones that play sped up with quick commentary or good music playing. The commander series I've looked at a few times and enjoy them, but they are long. The good thing is they try to focus on the fun aspect over competition.

Noted. I'm not sure how much or how little talking I'm planning on doing. I do need to find some music for mine after I get everything else figured out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 10:40 am 

I quite enjoy watching the Commander Clash series over at MTGGoldfish - it's very entertaining. The banter is what gets me. :lol:

"Well, at least all of that arm-waving and arcane babbling you did was impressive." -- Remand

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 5:46 am 

I <3 SCG Open coverage. Try to watch at least a little of every event when they're live. Especially Standard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 7:23 am 

Dark Shade wrote:
I quite enjoy watching the Commander Clash series over at MTGGoldfish - it's very entertaining. The banter is what gets me. :lol:

Thanks for letting me know. I know there's tons of people out there already doing stuff, so I'll take a look and see what I think!
tarnar wrote:
I <3 SCG Open coverage. Try to watch at least a little of every event when they're live. Especially Standard.

Is it because of the competitive environment? Actually, I just recently found out that Brian Weissman--yeah, THE Brian Weissman--posts videos on Youtube of 1v1 EDH games he's played on MTGO. He plays at a competitive level, as you might expect, but it's not French Commander--regular banlist. I've actually liked them a lot, because he presents very clear, logical construction of his actions and strategy, which I appreciate a lot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 8:08 am 

Segrus wrote:
tarnar wrote:

Is it because of the competitive environment? Actually, I just recently found out that Brian Weissman--yeah, THE Brian Weissman--posts videos on Youtube of 1v1 EDH games he's played on MTGO. He plays at a competitive level, as you might expect, but it's not French Commander--regular banlist. I've actually liked them a lot, because he presents very clear, logical construction of his actions and strategy, which I appreciate a lot.

Kind of funny, just had a related conversation about Twitch/Youtube and watching games in general.

Personally I like either watching the game played at a highly competitive level or I like watching/listening to someone entertaining that I can relate to as the game unfolds.

SCG's Open coverage generally covers both halves, showing competitive play and providing entertaining coverage/commentary.

Anything I watch online has to cover at least one half. If I'm watching CS:GO it's generally because I'm watching high-level competitive play, if I'm watching Kerbal Space Program it's going to be because of the personality of the person recording/streaming.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-29 2:21 am 

I love to watch magic but I find it hard to do so on most twitch streams because I can barely see the cards.
Also it drives me crazy when the players organize their battlefield in a way differently than I do.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile