Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-25 10:16 am

Post subject: The Frankenstein deck
AgePosted: 2016-May-30 7:50 am 

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got to building a deck that's been laying around unfinished for, well, years now. I was really excited when I traded for an Oloro backin 2014 I think, started a pile of cards but got distracted, and the pile got lost somewhere behind a box of basic lands.

So, I built the deck, classic Oloro style, and was rather excited to try it out last weekend. The 3 games I played were, for lack of classier description, utter s**t... What a lame captain, I can't believe I thought I this guy was going to be any fun. Lifegaining and pillowforting, weakening and taxing my opponents until they were softened up enoughto be taken down by a random flying beater. The deck worked fine, but even tough I was winning games, I couldn't get any satisfaction out of it.

I'm still puzzled why I ever built this monstrosity, it looked like a decent control captain but he actually awards you for not participating in the game.

Anyway, Oloro has been permanently relieved of duty, and I don't think I'll be trying another build around him any time soon.

My question however, as I'm not here merely to complain about this guy, is whether you've had decks that looked awesome while building, but turned out to be totally boring? What happened? Is it a prolonged brain fart? Is the commander a fun looking guy that turns out to be a total douche? What decks did you bench after a couple of runs?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Frankenstein deck
AgePosted: 2016-May-30 10:57 am 

Usually if I ditch a deck after a few plays it's because a good idea turns out to be a bad deck. Melek, Anafenza, Horobi, Talrand. All looked good on paper and just didn't play up to their potential. My Karador/Rats deck is currently on the chopping block for non-performance, though that one might be fixable. Gitrog needs work as well, for exactly the opposite reason Karador is in limbo. Karador has good bones but not enough velocity, while The Git has insane velocity but to high a curve to keep up with it. My Hanna Pillowfort got torn down and rebuilt into a true Stax deck recently because as built she had no effective wincons. She's still not a deck I'd pull out every week, but no longer due to lack of effectiveness.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-30 12:23 pm 

I think Oloro plays best at the head of a weenie soldier tribal deck. The UB give soldiers the Flying they sorely need and his life triggers give them better staying power than some other Soldier choices. Sun Quan can be a wincon all on his own, if you have enough tokens or buffs out when he drops. Daxos of Meletis and other legends also work fairly well with Oloro.

That said, there have been a number of concepts that fell flat or didn't work as expected. Years ago (before C13) I had a beast tribal with Uril at the helm. But Uril's rep was such that I never lasted long enough to get more than 2 beasts on deck. It was like a feeding frenzy when people saw my commander and no amount of telling them it was beast tribal could persuade them that it wasn't a Voltron deck (it had 2 auras total).

Another example was a Warp World deck I made online. Since everybody complains that WW is so hard to resolve in paper, I thought online would be the perfect place. It's all automated, no shuffling. No Dice. Every time I cast it, half the table would rage-quit anyway. The one time I got to cast it with Hive Mind in play, you would have thought the Mayan Armageddon had come. all 4 other players quit before the first copy resolved.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-30 11:43 pm 

Even though Tetsuo seems like he would make a great general and a fun deck, the deck just didn't do much and I just can't seem to find a combination of cards in those colors that lead to a fun experience that is supported by him as the general. I'm not sure why, the cards are all cool and fun, but somehow put together it didn't work out.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 1:32 am 

usually for me its the opposite effect that gets my decks sidelined. For example my ghave deck rarely gets played because it is such a time hog and way too strong.

Similar effect for shattergang brothers. I thought that it would let me make a cool black red green tribal goblin deck, but it turned all my goblins into fleshbangs and made the rest of the players just not want to try to play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 1:37 am 

My Zurgo Helmsmasher deck is currently slated for benching. It has either dominated the table quickly or sat on its ass doing nothing. Smashing some helms by throwing Zurgo into a field of auto-equip equipment and then tossing Blasphemous Act to clear the way was fun a couple of times, but just wasn't sustainable entertainment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 2:48 am 

This is an interesting topic, because in general, the more powerful the deck, the less enjoyment it brings for both the player and his opponents. Exceptions exist in hyper competitive playgroups, but the focus of a casual game is that everyone involved has fun. My group has named this phenomenon, "oopsing the table." This is exactly what you describe, building a deck that looks fun and then in play, realizing it is not fun to play, play against, or both.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 3:08 am 

Buthrakaur wrote:
This is an interesting topic, because in general, the more powerful the deck, the less enjoyment it brings for both the player and his opponents.

While more powerful decks are more likely to be fun-sucks for the table, I'd disagree strongly that power is the cause. I think it comes down to how linear their gameplan is and how much redundancy they have. If the deck plays out very similarly in most games, it is going to go stale regardless of whether that is tutor/tutor/combo, turtling hard behind Oloro, voltroning super hard, kicking out a big pile of tokens and overrunning, dredging your graveyard with Karador so you can just keep casting the same value creatures over and over, or whatever else it happens to be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 8:24 am 

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker. I built it for a others-discard-for-my-profit, but it really could not keep up. I may try and retool it for 1 power fun ETB guys, but have not played it in like a year...

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile