Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 1:26 pm

Post subject: I always make custom commander decks no looking at deck list
AgePosted: 2017-Nov-25 11:30 am 

Does anyone else do this to

I always pick my commander than make a deck. that I think will work and then play it find out what’s wrong or what is useless in this particular deck. Than I tweak it till I get bored of the deck than i play and tweak another one

I want to know if you do it like this too

Thanks for any responses

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I always make custom commander decks no looking at deck list
AgePosted: 2017-Nov-25 12:17 pm 

There are many of us that build like this. There is also a very wide spectrum between "entirely homebrew" and "entirely Netdeck."

There has been discussion in this are here and some other threads you can find with a search.

Personally, I am very tribal oriented in my EDH builds*. Tribal and Star were the first two casual formats I really enjoyed in the 90s, and my EDH decks reflect that. I also like building 1) tribes I don't see other people use (e.g. Sapling Treefolk tribal) - and - 2) tribal decks with Generals that are used mainly outside tribal builds (e.g. Edric Rogue tribal).

Neither of those lends itself to netdecking, so I rarely get inspiration from outside what I build myself.

*Note: I think I am down to three non-tribal decks - Rafiq Exalted deck (non-voltron), a WUBRG Enduring Ideal themed deck, and Hazezon Tamar Man-Land themed deck.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-25 12:24 pm 

Thanks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-26 5:33 am 

I almost always start by brainstorming and building something on my own. I'll spend time looking at cards in a database and doing some advanced searches by color and such, but once I have a deck built I don't mind looking at what others have done with the same commander.

I've found that there are a lot of ways to build most commanders and sometimes you don't always think of everything on your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-26 5:44 am 

When just starting out I think it's perfectly okay to look at other decklists and be inspired. When I made my first EDH deck (In my sig: Mayael) there were no EDH decklist websites to use, so I looked at my friends' lists.
A lot of the decks I built started with a couple hours searching Gatherer or magiccards.info to find cards. I use search terms and variations of phrases to find cards for each list and whittle them down from there.

I've only ever truely net-decked twice. My Child of Alara 99-commons deck came from decklist I found particularly awesome here, and my Talrand, Sky Summoner "stop having fun" deck came from a competitive MTG Salvation list. Even those lists I've tweaked to fit my needs from the initial net-decking. I think I could have come up with these decks had I been bothered to brew, but I was so in love with what I saw I said "Nah, THAT is what I want to play". Nothing wrong with that.

There's a happy medium too. Using websites like this one, or EDHrec, or MTGgoldfish can be beneficial after the initial brewing process to find cards you "missed" or fill in gaps in your deck structure you forgot about ("Oh yeah I need card draw" or "That's my answer to X"). Can those sites be too much of a crutch? Yeah, but then don't use them as gospel.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-26 9:11 am 

I mean, being on here influences the way I build decks if for no other reason than cards mentioned here spring to mind that I would not have thought of otherwise. It's not "netdecking" by any reasonable definition but neither is it "no looking at deck list(s)"

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-26 10:00 am 

It's one of the things I used to like about MTGO, searching cards is so much easier than gatherer for basic searches (though complex Boolean searches are still better in Gatherer). It used to be that a person could access the card-lists without even having an account or ever logging in to the client; alas, they have removed that feature (it was too useful).

There's an example tribal build (Dino) in my post to this deckbuilding strategy thread.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-28 9:26 am 

For my first couple of EDH decks I didn't know about edhrec, so they were initially built with just cards my friends and I had. After I found out about edhrec there was a brief time where I'd basically just build a deck pretty much straight from the commander's edhrec listings. These days I still use edhrec, but I like to start my builds elsewhere first - I'll come up with an idea and build up a template from cards I know about and Gatherer searches, then use edhrec to fill it out, find cards that fill certain roles, and possibly see if I missed any must-run inclusions.

Online decklists, edhrec, and other such tools are all really useful, but I think there's a balance that comes with using them. They're great tools and I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with using or not using them, but it can stifle creativity if it's the only thing you use.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-29 9:39 am 

I'm very on the fence concerning EDHREC.

I would have really liked it when I first was building Rubinia back when I was new and Shard of Alara was being released, but now I hardly have a use for it even when looking for niche cards to go with niche cards.

I suppose its about as useful as having a "staples list."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-29 9:57 am 

edhrec is very bad at looking for niche cards and very good at telling you staples, which is why (pushes hipster glasses back with middle finger) I don't use it

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-30 11:58 am 

There's only so much you can find using a search engine when you don't know exactly what you're trying to find. you can search by creature type, by colour, by card text. But the best way to find those hidden gems are by looking at the decklists of players who have had the deck for longer. It's entirely the player's choice how much of the list they use and i don't think it really matters how they build the deck as long as it brings them fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-06 4:45 am 

I have always found netdecking and sites like EDHrec to be a very bad way to get ideas*, but that's because I value diversity and originality over the accepted norms and/or 'best' decks.

Keep doing what you're doing, there's no better feeling than when you beat a tried and tested net-deck with the cards you put together yourself :)

*I don't mind if it's a new player - EDH is a big format to get into

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-06 7:06 am 

Dohyden wrote:
There's only so much you can find using a search engine when you don't know exactly what you're trying to find. you can search by creature type, by colour, by card text. But the best way to find those hidden gems are by looking at the decklists of players who have had the deck for longer. It's entirely the player's choice how much of the list they use and i don't think it really matters how they build the deck as long as it brings them fun.

?

You can find every card printed by searching a database.

but yeah, decklists are often faster and easier.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-06 8:01 am 

niheloim wrote:
Dohyden wrote:
You can find every card printed by searching a database.
Yeeees and no. If you don't know a card or mechanic or effect exists, it's hard to find it in a card database

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-06 3:41 pm 

I think what's helped me figure out deckbuilding the most is just absorbing all I could about decks, past and present, from every format. Often you'll find some gem you didn't know about, even if the strategy can't be directly applied to Commander. Doing this also gets you looking at cards and rules, which in general is another good way to figure out deckbuilding.

It's not the best way for everybody, because I was able to dedicate a lot of time to researching stuff.

Offline Profile