Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Feb-23 8:58 pm

Post subject: Where to Trade?
AgePosted: 2016-May-16 12:33 pm 

So MOTL (magictraders.com) finally bit the dust, and the site is no more, though most people would argue it's death was assured when the owner quit updating it.

I loved MOTL, and made many trades on there ranging from $5-$500, only getting ripped once (which I could have prevented).

I only stop by my local gamestore once a week (briefly) in part because my friends aren't there much, but mostly because I'm busy. Man do I miss those college days.

Puca Trade rubs me the wrong way, and I'm unconvinced the service it provides really warrants forking out a monthly fee for a membership.

So no MOTL, no store, no Puca Trade. What options are there? Have people found any success with MTG Salvation's trade forum? Has anyone had success trading via YouTube? Is there another trading platform I haven't heard of?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Where to Trade?
AgePosted: 2016-May-16 12:43 pm 

I cannot for the life of me get Puca Trade to work. Being in New Zealand certainly doesn't help :? I have issues with the interface (or did, when I last logged on) - I wanted to update my fairly meager trades list, but couldn't do something as simple as "list my White cards" :? (again)

So if there is one out there, let me know too!!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 12:45 pm 

Some of us MOTL regulars still use the FB group. I don't really anymore but i think it's still semi-active. Good way to keep in touch if you're into that. There are other FB groups
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MtGBuySellTrade/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/highendmtg/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTG.EDH.COMMANDER/ -- is not for trading specifically but they allow it.
You can probably find local groups too.

Salvation has a trade forum i think.

Would be cool if we had a trade forum here but might just be overcomplicating things.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 12:50 pm 

American_Kid wrote:
Puca Trade rubs me the wrong way, and I'm unconvinced the service it provides really warrants forking out a monthly fee for a membership.
Last I checked, there is no monthly fee to use Puca Trade. (There may be some "premium" version, but baseline is free.) The only real "cost" associated with Puca Trade is postage. I know several people who love it, although I haven't used it much myself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 3:33 pm 

Why not try and get MOTL from the old owner and update it yourself?

Puca trade works well for me, if anyone needs some pointers I would be happy to help. Or get you setup if you don't currently use it.

https://pucatrade.com/invite/gift/105032

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 6:27 pm 

Tappedout.Net, whilst not a trading website, has successful trading constantly happening there. I have well over 60 trades on there over the past 3-4 years, probably $3000 worth of trades so far. You have to have a profile for a few months before you are allowed to trade, and if you are a noob you send first. But if you trade with the well known members with lots of trade vouches you can't go wrong. Good community there too

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 7:07 pm 

MRHblue wrote:

Puca trade works well for me, if anyone needs some pointers I would be happy to help. Or get you setup if you don't currently use it.

https://pucatrade.com/invite/gift/105032

Help help help oh God help me :P

Let's start with "I only want to see my White haves" although I'll settle for "I want my haves list to be sorted by colour"

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 4:12 am 

Oh I meant lower level help, like 'how to do a trade' or' how do I search for cards people want'. The site has no filters or searches worth a damn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 6:28 am 

MRHblue wrote:
Oh I meant lower level help, like 'how to do a trade' or' how do I search for cards people want'. The site has no filters or searches worth a damn.

Which makes it unusable for maintaining your cards if you haven't updated it in like, a year. Thanks for confirming :)

(I mean seriously, how is "sort by colour" not a thing?!?!?11!!)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 1:58 pm 

MRHblue wrote:

Oh man, you don't even know.
This has been suggested repeatedly over the last few years. They just don't respond to this kind of thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 2:13 pm 

I use Puca Trade primarily as a backup for paper trading.

Normally I use my cards for trade fodder, and then when I get home, if I lost something I liked especially, I put it on my want list for Puca. The most recent example is a copy of Ghave.

I also use it to quickly move large value cards that are in Standard once my local store no longer has a need for them, or any value worth them.

Such as Collected Company and Premature Jace.

But for organization I use deckbox / google sheets.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 1:42 am 

Puca Trade has its ups and downs. A lot of it depends on your collection. If you're looking to unload Standard goodies and eternal staples you can easily accrue points, and if you're looking for the same then you can usually find trades. The real selling point is that you don't have to find a traditional trading partner, which is a frustration of IRL trading.

Our Trading forum on MTGS is still very active. I've never used it, but I hear good things from it and the mods there take it very seriously.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 6:40 am 

Trading on MTGS scares me because of all the reported bad trades, and the lack of resolution outside the person getting banned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 11:24 am 

MRHblue wrote:
Trading on MTGS scares me because of all the reported bad trades, and the lack of resolution outside the person getting banned.

How is it on other sites like MOTL? What protection is there? (I am familiar with PucaTrade)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 12:06 pm 

No idea, I only use PT on face to face.

Offline Profile