Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-25 10:13 am

Post subject: Why do you EDH?
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 7:17 am 

As a new player of EDH, I have one deck that has seen some action, and one that I'm just finishing up. Many of you have a lot of EDH decks based on your signatures. My question is why do you EDH? Is there something inherent in other formats that turns you off? Since a 100 card deck is unwieldy to store and expensive to build, there is something that attracts you to play with loaf decks.

As for myself, I actually actively resisted playing edh for years because the stories revolved around either ramping insane power cards into play or counter-heavy decks that I saw in stores. It was only when my best friend started to make some, invited me to, and I had a 60 card highlander already in existence that I started. Being with the right group makes a huge difference because it was fun!

Anyway, how heavily invested are you in this format versus 60 card decks, and why this format? Thanks.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Why do you EDH?
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 8:32 am 

Commander is the only constructed format that I currently play, though I am working towards Legacy and Modern decks. I'm not terribly fond of playing at higher levels of competition though it is something I may work towards in the future.

I love the fact that decks don't need to be as competitive as in other constructed formats. That takes pressure off of me to compete and spend quite as much money.

I also love the Vorthos flavour that Commander allows you to buy into, if you wish. In almost no other format are things like tribal decks celebrated and I love that I can have a deck based around a single character (such as my Nicol Bolas deck).

I am much more invested in this format than any other format because it's the one that I love the most.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 8:43 am 

Masked Thespian wrote:
Commander is the only constructed format that I currently play, though I am working towards Legacy and Modern decks. I'm not terribly fond of playing at higher levels of competition though it is something I may work towards in the future.

I love the fact that decks don't need to be as competitive as in other constructed formats. That takes pressure off of me to compete and spend quite as much money.

I also love the Vorthos flavour that Commander allows you to buy into, if you wish. In almost no other format are things like tribal decks celebrated and I love that I can have a deck based around a single character (such as my Nicol Bolas deck).

I am much more invested in this format than any other format because it's the one that I love the most.

Actually, if you love theme decks, then you would love playing in my casual group that's been together for almost 25 years now. Some of my favorite decks are Elementals, Evil Eyes, and Kithkin. In fact, the elemental deck is all creatures and land. Another friend plays elves and vampires, another angels and dragons, the list goes on and on. Instead of free-for-alls, we play a lot of heavily house-modified Emperor's games so that there are more winners per game and you can play almost any type of deck that you want and yet there is a place at the table. We also do star games, two-headed giant, high-life, and other things when we don't have six players. It's getting more and more competitive as new blood enters the group and decks adjust to the evolving meta, but it's still far from cutthroat as compared to store environments.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Stores turn me off, and have for many, many years.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 9:29 am 

I play a lot of competitive magic, and have since the mid nineties.

I also play a lot of commander.

I honestly see the two as completely different games, as does my play group, which is one reason our commander decks are 100% flavor first. I never got to play magic as a youth, it did not exist, and commander to me should focus on a lot of what draws younger players to magic. Cool creatures, neat interactions, finding interesting ways to use cards. Honestly, when I see the same old garbage in commander decks that I saw over the years playing in tournaments, I just feel sorry for those people, they just don't get what makes commander a great format, since they are actually just playing 100 card vintage highlander....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 10:43 am 

Arcane Archer wrote:
Actually, if you love theme decks, then you would love playing in my casual group that's been together for almost 25 years now. Some of my favorite decks are Elementals, Evil Eyes, and Kithkin. In fact, the elemental deck is all creatures and land. Another friend plays elves and vampires, another angels and dragons, the list goes on and on. Instead of free-for-alls, we play a lot of heavily house-modified Emperor's games so that there are more winners per game and you can play almost any type of deck that you want and yet there is a place at the table. We also do star games, two-headed giant, high-life, and other things when we don't have six players. It's getting more and more competitive as new blood enters the group and decks adjust to the evolving meta, but it's still far from cutthroat as compared to store environments.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Stores turn me off, and have for many, many years.

Sounds like my old play group. We played together from around M13's release through to around Journey into Nyx, but then people started leaving due to work commitments forcing them to move. We were all very casual and played a variety of theme decks. I played a fun Vampire tribal deck during Innistrad-RTR standard and it did well against most of my friends' decks.

I've recently moved back to my home country so, once I've settled down with a job and a place to live that isn't with my parents, I'll be looking to find such a group again.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 11:40 am 

I pretty much only play casual, but I also pretty much only play online.1 Unfortunately, a MTGO dwindled the number of casual formats you could reliably find games for also shrank considerably. I was playing mostly Tribal Wars, 5 Moons (an online sub variant of Star) and Emperor when I found EDH. In the last few years, Commander is the only one left for which I can generally find a game (though I would guess 90% of my decks are Tribal EDH)

Arcane Archer wrote:
... We also do Star games, two-headed giant, high-life, and other things when we don't have six players....

Ah, but is it Star a originally printed in Duelist (circa 95)? Do you use "Blocking en passant?"

1) Family medical bills caused me to sell my collection in 2000 - and a very heavy travel schedule when I was still active duty led me to MTGO when I wanted to start playing again in 2006. I could play anywhere without needing to find people/stores and without lugging a lot of extra luggage

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 12:10 pm 

Masked Thespian wrote:
I've recently moved back to my home country so, once I've settled down with a job and a place to live that isn't with my parents, I'll be looking to find such a group again.

Masked Thespian--Maiden, Gurgi, and I have been holding games about once a week (when we can), so hopefully the Game Thread can get back on its feet someday.

As far as why I play EDH versus other formats...well, I actually can still have a lot of fun in other formats. If I found a decent group of players who liked regularly going to FNM and drafting, I'd be all over it. I still own a couple thousand-card Cube I'd really like the chance of getting going. I still have the remnants of Modern decks somewhere around here. The thing is, I've always had the most fun with EDH. For whatever reason, I have the worst luck in tournaments even when I'm winning (once drafted and lost only one round in six, but that still placed me tenth place so I didn't get any prizes). I don't mean to equate winning to enjoyment, but when you're skilled outside of tournaments and yet don't win a single one...well...it's a little frustrating. When Theros first came out and Red-Green Devotion hit the ground in the Pro Tour, I had built a deck separate from any outside communication and it was almost card-for-card the tournament decks. It was really exciting for me, and I lent the deck to some of my friends who wanted it for practice.

I've figured out it's the community I like most about EDH, and the sense of being in a community. I can build a somewhat powerful deck, and then turn around and build a silly Harley Quinn-themed deck--and both have their place in EDH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 1:25 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Arcane Archer wrote:
... We also do Star games, two-headed giant, high-life, and other things when we don't have six players....

Ah, but is it Star a originally printed in Duelist (circa 95)? Do you use "Blocking en passant?"

No, have not done the en passant route. But we vary things up a lot. Sometimes it's with mono-colored decks for each color, sometimes it's any deck. Sometimes we use a pentgram method of taking turns so that "allies" can't double thrash the enemy they have in common, sometimes it's just clockwise. Sometimes you can only attack left. In all cases, however, no one is an ally. It's just that some of the players are not part of the wincon, and you can and should bloody-well mess with them if it helps you gain a solo-win. I've even killed non-enemies to take the win by myself, and likewise been killed by others. So our star games are varied and crazy.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-17 11:43 pm 

I love playing multiplayer. I don't really care which format, as long as it's true chaos multiplayer. EDH was a compromise within the group as for many EDH decks were cheaper to build than regular decks that required 4 copies of expensive cards rather than single copies. It made little difference to me, but if it helps others, sure. Changing up the format lead to a deck building resurgence, which was exciting, but it also meant my regular 60-card decks could no longer be played with regularity. Ultimately EDH had the same problem as regular 60-card in that some people just didn't update their decks and as a result couldn't really keep up, leading to stagnation (with me coming out on top). For myself I fixed this by choosing to play the precons in unmodified form, leading to lots of decks to choose from or lend out, but others chose to give up and our group fell apart as a result when we couldn't reliably get 4(+) players together .

These days I mostly EDH because it's the most likely multiplayer game to run into, but I would be just as happy to play other formats just as long it's multiplayer. To me formats like star or attack left are fine, but 2 Headed Giant or Emperor feels more like playing 1 on 1 with more players, which is less exciting for me.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 3:16 am 

I often play Standard, at least when I can afford the time/effort/cards, but really don't like slinging a 60 card Standard deck in multiplayer, even if everyone is on Standard decks.

I used to play 60 card casual multiplayer (be it with Vintage deck construction rules or Legacy or whatever), but found it to be miserable after a while. That was my experience, and there's a lot to say about play group self-policing, etc.

EDH seems to suffer less from that same kind of misery, despite no serious changes to play group self-policing. It is also a format that (again, in my experience) allows for pick up games with unknown players much more than 60 card casual. People are generally VERY hesitant to play 60 card casual - especially 60 card casual multiplayer - without a formal / semi-formal format on top.

Again, all my experience / observations. But I guess that's what you were asking for.

To me, EDH creates an environment that is playable and fun far more often than any other casual multiplayer format.

Also, I have never liked Emperor, 2HG, Star, etc. Even 'attack left' to me feels dirty and wrong - unless there's a card on the board dictating it, then it's a factor that drives multiplayer politics, which is great. I've never agreed with 'no table talk' house rules to try to reduce the politics of multiplayer.

(and now I realize I've sort of wandered off topic, so I'll end now)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 5:15 am 

So many reasons.

For one, EDH is incredibly stable. The EDH decks I have are probably going to last forever. On the very minimal off-chance that something in them gets the banhammer, I can just replace it with something else. The big reason I stopped playing Modern was that I noticed a trend of very aggressive bannings from WotC, and began to have serious doubts about the stability of the format, the nail in the coffin being when my friend had to dismantle his Pod deck a week after he finished it. And of course, it certainly gets rid of the hassle of dealing with standard rotations, especially with the new release schedule.

EDH appeals to my inner Melvin. Another big reason I fell off constructed formats is that I discovered I liked building decks a lot more than I liked actually playing them. Whenever I see a cool card interaction or a card that's just a pile of interesting mechanics, I find out everything that I can do with that and make it a deck. EDH caters to this in ways that other formats really don't.

I can play EDH with crap lying around on my floor. In fact, I have done so, many times, with surprising results. If I want to play another format, I often have to go with the most optimal choices to fill the deck up with. EDH gives a home to all those crappy counterspells and overcosted uncommon creatures and wacky junk rares that are never going to see play anywhere else. I love that. One of my friends runs Goblin Festival in the same deck as Gaea's Cradle. Only in EDH.

I could go on and on...

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 6:41 am 

I love when otherwise-neglected cards that need either longer games or higher requirements or whatever get their time to shine.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 6:00 pm 

I love EDH, i have 25 decks (aiming for the full colour suite of 27) and also a 1050 card EDH cube which is 95% foiled now. It is highly creative, it lets you use all kinds of crazy unknown cards and interactions, and also tribes you didn't really consider. Also politicking with friends in game is funny as hell.

When I saw RtR coming out I started to pick up modern staples (shocks) and made sure I had a playset of each for cheap. Then I did the same with fetches, and pick up cheap Karns, Noble Hierarchs and such and now i have a full powered Tron and Infect deck but I am making them my own. I play Bant Infect and currently a weird Eldrazi Tron RG thing with lots of kozilek's returns and wraths in the main due to my UK meta. The Infect deck is doing well and I am playing the tron deck next FNM i can. I enjoy modern as its powerful and lets you play cool big stuff still, but without the completely insane price tag of Legacy (which i would play but my mates can't afford and there isn't any at all near me). I only go to FNM when my mates do though, i want the social interaction and banter, winning is great, but I go for fun. Winning a game is as good as winning an event as long as I can go down fighting haha.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-19 5:32 am 

EDH reminds me of when I first started playing magic. I didn't have a lot of cards and only 1 copy of the good stuff (back when you cringed pulling a dual land and cheered for a Shivan Dragon or Royal Assassin)

I would shove all the good stuff into a single deck and play the night away.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-19 7:15 am 

I get to play a ton of broken cards, can infinite combo turn two or just have some laughs and play something janky. My cards are always good and we self-regulat to the games we want to play. It's super fun.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile