Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-19 7:47 pm

Post subject: Help with box of old goodies
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 10:10 am 

Just been given a box of cards from someone who hasn't played in ages. Haven't been through it all but the best I've found so far are two tempest wastelands :D

Of course the best cards happen to be ones getting reprinted at rare and has dropped $20 in a couple days... Shame i didnt get the box a month ago.

Does anyone know what else I should be looking out for. The collection seems to be mostly Tempest, Ice age, Exodus, 4th/5th Ed (thats mostly a guess, Im not sure how to tell without a bit more research) and possibly weatherlight. Tempest is hard because the rarity symbols havn't come in yet.

There are also a few of that set's precon decks. I know one has alluren and I found a eladamri, but are there any cards worth money I should look out for?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help with box of old goodies
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 10:31 am 

Altar of Dementia
Ancient Tomb
Apocalypse
Choke
Coffin Queen
Corpse Dance
Cursed Scroll
Earthcraft*
Grindstone
Helm of Possession
Horned Sliver
Humility
Intuition*
Living Death
Lotus Petal
Mirri's Guile
Anything with "Medalion" in the name
Propaganda
Reanimate
Reflecting Pool
Scroll Rack
Static Orb
Time Warp
Cataclysm
City of Traitors*
Coat of Arms
Ertai, Wizard Adept
Hatred
Mind Over Matter
Oath of Druids
Price of Progress
Recurring Nightmare
Sphere of Resistance
Spike Weaver
Painlands
Necropotence
Buried Alive
Firestorm
Gemstone Mine
Goblin Bomb
Lotus Vale
Null Rod
Peacekeeper
Scorched Ruins
Winding Canyons
Sylvan Library*
Land Tax
Mana Vault
Strip Mine
Mana Web
Survival of the Fittest*
City of Brass

* Denotes $20 or more

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 10:45 am 

Awesome! I picked out a few of those on my first brush , I need to sit down tonight and go through the whole thing tonight.

I put aside a living death, reanimate, necro, lotus petal, a couple medallions, pain lands. I knew Choke and helm were worth something but no idea how much. I remember seeing firestorm, thinking it might be good and moving on, I'll have to fish that one out too.

I'm pretty much putting them into two groups, cards I've heard of and cards I haven't. I'm really hoping there are some winding canyons stashed in there.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 11:23 am 

4th ed vs 5th ed is easy - 4th edition didn't have the year printed by the artist details, while 5th edition did :)

I've found it's harder to pick between 4th and Revised, as to me they look *very* similar

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 11:39 am 

Viperion wrote:
4th ed vs 5th ed is easy - 4th edition didn't have the year printed by the artist details, while 5th edition did :)

I've found it's harder to pick between 4th and Revised, as to me they look *very* similar

Revised didn't have the copyright info below the artist credits.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 11:57 am 

cryogen wrote:
Viperion wrote:

Revised didn't have the copyright info below the artist credits.

Ah thank you both, that's very helpful. Unfortunately I dont think I have any revised, but there are 4th and 5th ed deck boxes so looking for the year is an easy distinguishing point.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 12:31 pm 

Ah no sorry my bad they started year number in 4th edition. However, 4th edition have 1995 as the date and 5th edition has 1997, so it's still easy.

So if it's got a date it's 4th or 5th. If it doesn't it's either Unlimited/3rd or Revised, and they're harder to tell the difference between. For some reason when I'm checking my cards I find that it's almost always Revised, not Unlimited (i.e. the older set). I have no idea why.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 1:09 pm 

Viperion wrote:
So if it's got a date it's 4th or 5th. If it doesn't it's either Unlimited/3rd or Revised, and they're harder to tell the difference between. For some reason when I'm checking my cards I find that it's almost always Revised, not Unlimited (i.e. the older set). I have no idea why.

Revised have a simple black line between the color and white of the card; Unlimited have a bit of a beveled edge effect.

If you find any 4th ed cards that seem weirdly glossy and feel kind of fake, you might want to check to see if they are alternate 4th ed. The easiest way to tell that is by looking at the "a" in Magic on the back. Alt 4th have a dark blue patch at the top of it instead of a light blue patch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 4:26 pm 

Unlimited used the word 'tap' instead of the tap symbol.
Artifacts in unlimited were named 'mono' (for abilities you could use once like Black Lotus and Time Vault), 'poly' (for abilities you didn't have to tap/could use multiple times like Forcefield and Crystal Rod), and 'continuous' (for those with static and triggered abilities that don't require costs like Mishra's Ankh and Dingus Egg

4th and 5th have hugely different levels of gloss and color saturation - if you expose yourself to them you get used to it. 5th is actually my favorite set (by looks) because of this. 5th ed's (and going forward) mana cost symbols are further right as well, with the last circle being halfway over the card art frame.

Viperion wrote:
For some reason when I'm checking my cards I find that it's almost always Revised, not Unlimited (i.e. the older set). I have no idea why.

Because Unlimited was very small compared to the huuuuuge run that was 3rd edition. (like about 15 times as much)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 7:31 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
4th and 5th have hugely different levels of gloss and color saturation - if you expose yourself to them you get used to it.

I would recommend doing this in the privacy of your own home and not in public. You don't want to get arrested, do you?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 7:40 pm 

So having been through the whole box the big ticket items are:
Volcanic Island
4 Sliver Queen
Force of Will
Ensnaring bridge
2 wasteland

Ive had a good day.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 8:03 pm 

Good find! I don't suppose there was a Ramses Overdark in there was there?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 7:12 am 

I don't think so, there were a few of the white border legends (from chronicles I believe) but it looks like Ramses didn't get a reprint.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 7:44 am 

No, he's on the stupid $^&%@# reserve list. Thought maybe you might have some original Legends in there. Ah well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 8:36 am 

Viperion wrote:
No, he's on the stupid $^&%@# reserve list. Thought maybe you might have some original Legends in there. Ah well.

The reserved list was created because of Chronicles reprints so there's no connection there.

Offline Profile