Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 5:07 am

Post subject: EDH in person versus online?
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 3:38 am 

I was wondering about the general opinion on EDH over the internet versus in person. I've heard some number of people say that it should only be enjoyed in person, and some that are much more willing to branch out. There's also been some number of people who say online is fine but only via MTGO, not Skype or secondary programs like Cockatrice.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EDH in person versus online?
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 5:10 am 

Edh with randoms is meh, but worse when it is online.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 5:47 am 

I feel weird playing any sort of MtG format without at least being able to hear the voice of my opponent, so I avoid online play with all but a few close friends who I can use mumble or discord or whatever voice program with. It's just my own weird preference though. Anyone who enjoys playing edh over the internet should totally be able to.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 7:02 am 

I've played by post on here and a game or two on text chat over Skype and they worked ok if you take notes of the boardstate of your opponents. Would like to play more online but timezones are a thing that sucks :P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 7:46 am 

Viperion wrote:
I've played by post on here and a game or two on text chat over Skype and they worked ok if you take notes of the boardstate of your opponents. Would like to play more online but timezones are a thing that sucks :P

I can say I have a greater understanding of distances via keeping track of time zones in the Game Thread.

As for the question of in person versus online...man, I'm happy to get any games. Online makes me wish I was playing in person, because that's always seemed so much more fun for me; however, a game is a game, and as few as we get here I'll happily take anything I can get. I don't think online games are all that bad, but they can feel very impersonal at times if you can't hear their voice or get a sense for your comrade's character through their words.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 8:58 am 

Viperion wrote:
I've played by post on here and a game or two on text chat over Skype

If you have a webcam, you could each broadcast your board state. Or you could, at minimum, do a skype screen share and write down board state in notepad or something so you could always be sure you matched.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:22 am 

osieorb18 wrote:
I was wondering about the general opinion on EDH over the internet versus in person. I've heard some number of people say that it should only be enjoyed in person, and some that are much more willing to branch out. There's also been some number of people who say online is fine but only via MTGO, not Skype or secondary programs like Cockatrice.

I prefer in-person, but that's mainly for ease of communication and frankly, it just feels more relaxing to be sitting a table with people than working over a computer. There are certainly issues with online gaming, but they're not specific to EDH, or even to magic in general. So if you need to go online to get your EDH on, I see no reason not to do so, as long as you're willing and able to put up with the inherent toxicity of online play with random people that pervades everything that is online and multiplayer.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:42 am 

I can't speak to Cockatrice or Skype; but MTGO is pretty much my only option to play (IIRC I have had three paper games in the last 6 years).

In general, I would summarize MTGO as this: if you can join a clan (or create one of friends) the play experiences can be good to great. In random pick-up games, it varies. Some games are great, some allow you to help teach new players, some have people drop on turn two for no discernible reason and some are ruined by those that care about themselves more than the group ("What? Palinchron inf mana into Memnarch is casual....and that's how I have fun"). EDH was better on MTGO 2.5 and 3.0, but they have made many improvements to the multi-player interface in 4.0 since 3.0 went dark.

Also, there are things that are much simpler to do online. Example: Warp World resolves in seconds (and some are easier in paper, SDT is a horror to online -way too much clicking needed).

I found EDH as a format online, so really those three games are the only EDH I have ever played in paper (and two of them were 1:1, one was three player; so I haven't ever really experienced Paper EDH).

Hope that helps.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:37 pm 

I was in ONLY HELL when I was on Modo a while back, they were a hardcore Prismatic group, specializing in 1/1/1 Emperor. We rampaged and despoiled and it was fun being part of a supervillain group in a card game but eventually I got tired of spending more actual dollars on virtual cards (hundreds) instead of the $0 dollars I generally spend in real life (I just trade). But yes, if you can find a good group it's sweet.

Nissa, Vastwood Seer - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:05 pm 

Yeah, I created CasualandCommander Clan (CCC), but that was in V 3.0 and shortly before the mandated V4.0 switch and the WOTC Community turned to the Blorums (and subsequently died). So the clan never really got going and my rotating work schedule did not help. I am trying to build it back up, but until you have a minimum number of active members it is almost impossible to rely on enough clanmates to be active to reliably get good games any time of day.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 3:24 pm 

EDH online in any form is abysmal. When you take out the presence of other people laughing, interacting with physical cards and not being able to see the reactions of the (silly) cards you are playing, people will play as if it is the World Championships. The internet makes everything worse quite frankly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-25 6:25 am 

I never had good experiences online, unless it was people i already know in some form. I'd be down to play with people here over Cockatrice for example, but i'm not going to get on Cockatrice and play against randoms.

Offline Profile