Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-17 9:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viperions New and Improved Deck Building Challenge of DOOM!
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 11:36 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
So with the completion of my Simic deck I will have completed this challenge! 28 Decks of awesomeness!

28? What's the double up?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 12:18 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
So with the completion of my Simic deck I will have completed this challenge! 28 Decks of awesomeness!

5 mono colored
5 allied pairs
5 enemy pairs
5 shards
5 wedges
0 colors (mono-brown)
1 4 color
1 5 color

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 2:00 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Viperion wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

5 mono colored
5 allied pairs
5 enemy pairs
5 shards
5 wedges
0 colors (mono-brown)
1 4 color
1 5 color

Is 27 :P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 3:34 pm 

Do precons count? If so, I only need 7 more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 4:04 pm 

Yeah of course they do. My Esper deck is the out of the box Oloro one atm, although that's going to change shortly

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 4:09 pm 

So I built a colorless deck that I'm not really happy about, but it will count I suppose. I'm still stuck on Jeskai and Orzhov combinations.

I want to do a certain idea I had for Jeskai, but I feel like a lot of people would disagree with me on the idea of Narset as Harley Quinn--lots of hammers, goofy tricks, some milling to represent insanity...some other stuff...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 5:33 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
5 mono colored
5 allied pairs
5 enemy pairs
5 shards
5 wedges
0 colors (mono-brown)
1 4 color
1 5 color

Is 27

I'm guessing you're joking, but just in case you are serious, the line "0 colors" should be interpreted as "1 colorless," for 28 total decks.

The bigger question to me is why is there only one Nephilim deck.
Segrus wrote:
So I built a colorless deck that I'm not really happy about, but it will count I suppose.

Yeah, none of the few colorless Commanders have really appealed to me at all so far. I guess new Kozilek sits in a fairly sweet spot of good-but-not-going-to-break-the-playgroup. You can even run a self-mill theme and add Trading Post to turn him into a really bad Ertai, the Corrupted: if you have every CMC artifact in your graveyard from 0 to 10, you can counter most (non-X-in-their cost) spells by paying what Ertai's ability costs (except that you must sacrifice a creature, whereas Ertai could sac Hatching Plans), and you also pay that spells CMC, and you open yourself up to graveyard hate. The advantage that Kozi has is that he doesn't require a tap, but since Trading Post does, this "combo" shows how colorless permission is not going to take over any playgroups anytime soon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 7:26 pm 

I currently play newlamog after changing from Kozilek 1.0. Newlamog is very fair, i could run him out quite early but he was just a double utter end that could easily be chump blocked once he was down. Being so expensive to cast and needing to get him exiled or sac'd meant he was only cast a couple of times, so he wasn't game breaking. Kozilek was much harsher due to the card draw filling the hand and the annihilator being a bit oppressive. Newlamogs exile ability is great and can be a game winner. But it doesn't stop people playing the game or winning. I do have the new Kozilek to try out as the general though, as needing card draw is a thing

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 11:51 pm 

None of the colorless options are great, but it doesn't help that I've worked myself into a hole. I already have a Glissa, the Traitor and a Kurkesh decks, so another artifact deck would likely just be terrible compared to those two. I also have a Jeleva Eldrazi deck, which is much more interesting than a colorless deck. So another Eldrazi deck it is until something more interesting comes along.

I wonder how often people would refuse to let me play Ugin as a commander...that might have some possibility...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 12:01 am 

Yeah my red deck is artifact shenanigans with Daretti, and my Sen Triplets is more Triplets orientated than artifacts, so mono brown is pretty fair game for me. Although my brown deck isn't really ground shaking for originality, its more of a good multiplayer deck that has some interesting, little often seen cards, and can play long hard games or keep up with pace when it needs to.

Maybe you need to change your other decks as mono brown is the most limited of choices for it's card selections. I am struggling for inspiration for Temur, Abzan, Golgari and Izzet colours tbh. Orzhov, Gruul and Dimir i have my ideas set out

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 12:19 am 

If a more interesting artifact legend comes around, like an Izzet one, then I'll get rid of Kurkesh. It doesn't make sense to change them right now. Ugin as a general sounds interesting enough to warrant a look.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 1:30 am 

Hey, maiden77, not to derail the thread but I just sleeved up a Sen Triplets deck this weekend, and so far it seems to be alright, but I'm very curious as to how you made your deck "more Triplets oriented". Mine just sorta turned out artifacty because of all the mana rocks, Lattice, etc, it just seemed a natural progression. Anyway, if you have posted a list anywhere I'd love to discuss it with you because I want mine to remain focused on Sen Triplets as the primary purpose and function but I'm worred about the Artifact theme overshadowing it to the point where I'd almost objectively be better off running Sharuum. I've looked at a bunch of lists and edhrec but pretty much everything is either Artifacts or generic Esper control.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 2:17 am 

hey man, well, i put sphinx in mine as a sub theme, to avoid the artifacts matter thing. Lattice, Darksteel forge and thats about it. No disk etc, and a couple of counters. Paradox Haze of course, and with the all colours mana, i have used the lands rather than rocks. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/all-the-hands/ is the deck. It's a little bit good stuff, but its not oppressive, or controlly. And obviously i make a point to play the triplets and look for the pieces to support them. Hope it helps :-)

Edit
It's always been a favourite of our group as it scales rather nicely with the decks around it. You could go further and add tutors to search for the paradox haze and copy enchantment giving you many upkeeps. Clever impersonator too. But i think this has a good balance. The sphinx mean it can stand up for itself, but the sen lets you have fun and really random board states. I once took my friends frost titan and the turn after my other friends kicked rite of rep on the titan. He learnt why i hate RoR after i turned it against him lol

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Last edited by maiden77 on 2016-Feb-01 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 2:35 am 

Just off the top of my head:
Misinformation--if you really want them to have a specific card
Unexpectedly Absent
Memory Lapse
Remand
I feel like there's a lot of cards similar to these which you could use. Any bounce card would be nice.

Paradox Haze--multiple targeting of players
Strionic Resonator--same as above
Sakashima the Imposter--allows you a second Triplet.

And with the retraction of the mana generation rule, you can use artifacts which produce every color of mana instead of Mycosynth Lattice. Also, Realmwright is a cute (although underpowered) addition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 3:12 am 

@ maiden: Thanks, your deck actually looks pretty similar to my list in some regards. I'm a bit more rampy, primarily because I feel pretty sure in my meta that if I'm casting Triplets on turn 5 is just going to be too slow - I played two games with it this weekend and both times I cast them T4 but both my opponents were able to quickly play out anything they didn't want me to have.

Motherfuckin' Paradox Haze, though! Holy shit, I did not actually realize that worked with Sen Triplets, but now that you mention it, of course it does. THAT is definitely going to have to go in.

One thing I considered was adding some bounce (I mean, other than Cyclonic Rift which is obviously in my list, duh) so if they do try to just barf their good stuff to keep it out of my clutches, I can just bounce whatever I want to their hand. But I figured in games where Sen Triplets get killed a lot and don't stick, I'd be stuck with some weakass Unsommons and Vapor Snags. In the end I kep Rift and Aetherize, but cut the rest.

You do have a good deal more Instant-speed spot removal than I do, which I feel is a weakness of my list, but I can't seem to fit more of it in.

@Sergus - You're largely thinking along the same lines as me. I was on the "bounce stuff so I can steal it" plan initially but as I said above, I foresaw games where Triplets just get murdered on sight and I'm left with a bunch of meaningless bounce spells. Kept Aetherize and Rift because they're good anyway - have been considering Temporal Adept and Crystal Shard (Shard can also save Triplets from removal in a pinch).

maiden already mentioned Paradox Haze which I'd overlooked, but I do like the idea of Sakashima as well.

I am aware of the "rainbow rock" tech - that is what triggered me to build this deck in the first place. Less than an hour after the RC posted the rules update, I ordered a foil Triplets for $30. Good thing too, since they're like $70 now. I'm still running Lattice as redundancy, but I'm running just about all the rainbow lands I can get as well as Fellwar Stone, Coalition Relic and Chromatic Lantern. Possibly one or two more, can't remember.

I also like Lattice because, again, I do have an artifact theme (and Darksteel Forge, obv).

Anyway, I didn't want to totally hijack this thread so if we want to discuss it more I can start a thread in strategy, but I think I got what I needed. Thanks guys!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next