Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-13 12:22 pm

Post subject: Viperions New and Improved Deck Building Challenge of DOOM!
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 9:59 am 

IT RETURNS!

Some time ago (four years, according to the forum threads...) I posted up a post about how I was going to make a deck of every legal colour combination (yeah yeah, it's been done, I know :P ). Four years later, I'm still doing it... but I plan to finish it in the next few months or so.

I'll maintain this thread here as a sort of index thread, similar to the decklist thread in the decklist forum. I'll start by listing the decks, who the Commander is, a basic description, and whether it's actually built or not. I'll also post links to the decklists which are available, both on these here forums here and deckstats.net which is where I actually maintain them. I'd love comments on this!

Without further ado:
Mono-Coloured Generals
White: Kitsune Mystic/Autumn-Tail, Kitsune Sage (yes it's only half legendary :)) : Enchantments. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats decklist
Blue: Ixidor, Reality Sculptor: Morph 3-card Monte. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats decklist
Black: Lim-Dûl the Necromancer: Zombie Tribal. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats decklist
Red: Jaya Ballard, Task Mage: JB flavor text, and BURN. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats decklist
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana: Commander damage to your FACE. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats decklist

Two-Coloured Generals
White/Blue: Isperia the Inscrutable: U/W Fliers. Built, decklist links coming
White/Black: Ghost Council of Orzhova: Flickering/Tokens. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
White/Red: Anax and Cymede: Soldier Tribal/Heroic/Battalion. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
White/Green: Tolsimir Wolfblood: Tokens! Built, decklist links coming
Blue/Black: Ramses Overdark: Assassin/Enchantments. U/B Control. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
Blue/Red: Nin, the Pain Artist: Card draw for everyone! Damage for you! Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
Blue/Green: Edric, Spymaster of Trest: Rogues and Spies and unblockable. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
Black/Red: Wort, Boggart Auntie: Goblin Tribal. Built, decklist links coming
Black/Green: Savra, Queen of the Golgari: Sacrifice, G/B creature control. Built, decklist links coming Deckstats Decklist
Red/Green: Radha, Heir to Keld: Elf and Warrior Tribal, with a flavouring of big mana combo. Built, decklist links coming

Three-Coloured Generals
White/Blue/Black: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic: Unmodified precon (although that's about to change). Built, decklist links coming
White/Blue/Red: Zedruu the Greathearted: Group.. hug? aka the Deck Without a Wincon. Built, decklist links coming
Blue/Black/Red: Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge: Vampire Tribal Built, decklist links coming
Blue/Black/Green: Damia, Sage of Stone: Storm Combo. (Being designed, not built)
Black/Red/Green: Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper: Sacrifice for fun and profit. Built, decklist links coming
Black/Red/White: Kaalia of the Vast: Demons and Dragons and Angels, oh my! Built, decklist links coming
Red/Green/White: Mayael the Anima: Big Stompy Creatures. (My first EDH deck and still one of my favourites). Built, decklist links coming
Red/Green/Blue: Animar, Soul of Elements: Temur Goodstuff. Built, decklist links coming (although possibly rebuilding this and heading in a more Eldrazi-ish direction)
Green/White/Blue: Rafiq of the Many: Rafiq Voltron, same as everyone else's Rafiq Voltron. Built, decklist links coming
Green/White/Black: Doran, the Siege Tower: I like Big Butts and I cannot Lie. Built, decklist links coming

Five and Zero Coloured Generals
Five Colour: Child of Alara: When Lands Attack! (Not built)
No Colour: Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, or Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger: No theme.... no idea.... (not built, obviously)

A bit of info about me. I'm very much a Johnny/Timmy with a VERY distantly third Spike, and I don't like Blue very much. I tend to build around my General - my Doran deck is lots of high toughness creatures, not just a BGW goodstuff that I saw a lot of ("Oh and btw Doran is the general, but it may as well be Teneb because I never cast him").

My Rafiq, Animar and Omnath decks are quite a bit more high powered than the others (Omnath a bit less so), so I only really break them out against other competitive decks (which, thankfully, don't really exist in my current playgroup). I'm much more interested in good games than fast games, and I don't care about winning as long as I got to play. Having said that, I have a deeper card pool than most of the other players in my group, and so I do tend to win over 50% of the games I play. I see this as a bit of a problem, honestly, but the group seems fine with it so far. I am turning into the guy everyone attacks because I'm going to win eventually, but I'm OK with that.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Last edited by Viperion on 2015-Dec-13 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Viperions New and Improved Deck Building Challenge of DOOM!
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 11:09 am 

It's certainly a large task, so best of luck getting it accomplished. I haven't necessarily tried to reach this goal myself, but I wonder how close I'm getting now...

I'm going to attempt to spell out power level in relation to my sort of average stompy deck Polukranos. If the number is greater then the deck is more powerful, generally speaking, and less than zero indicates weaker. These power levels are just approximations and will be adjusted more and more over time as I get more chances to try every deck out.

GREEN:
..........Polukranos, World Eater--Green Devotion Stompy/Control +0
RED:
..........Marton Stromgald--Red Devotion, Red Deck Wins +0
..........Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient--Artifacts Combo/Synergy +2
..........Feldon of the Third Path--Value Engines +2
WHITE:
..........Odric, Master Tactician--White Devotion Tokens +0
BLUE:
..........Lorthos, the Tidemaker--Blue Devotion Sea Monster Control +1
BLACK:
..........King Macar, the Gold-Cursed--Faustian and King Midas Themed +1
..........Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath--Black Devotion +0
GRUUL:
..........Thromok the Insatiable--RG Tokens +1
..........Wort, the Raidmother--Goblins and Big Burn +1
..........Omnath, Locus of Rage--Aggro Lands Matter +0
..........Ruric Thar, The Unbowed--Werewolf Tribal +0
BOROS:
..........Anax and Cymede--Aggro Enchantments +1
..........Archangel Avacyn--Angel Tribal +0
IZZET:
..........Arjun, the Shifting Flame--Burn -1
RAKDOS:
..........Rakdos, Lord of Riots--Dragon Tribal +2
..........Olivia Voldaren--Vampire Tribal +1
SELESNYA:
..........Trostani, Selesnya's Voice--Big Tokens +2
..........Selvala, Explorer Returned--Dragonriders of Pern Theme +0
SIMIC:
..........Ezuri, Claw of Progress--Morph/Manifest Themed +1
GOLGARI:
..........Varolz, the Scar-Striped--Commander Damage +2
..........Glissa, the Traitor--Artifacts Recursion +2
AZORIUS:
..........Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper--Spells Matter +2
ORZHOV:
..........Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts--Ghostbusters Theme -1
DIMIR:
..........Lazav, Dimir Mastermind--Mill -1
NAYA:
..........Ulanok, Center of the Web--Spider Tribal (Custom Commander) -1
..........Mayael the Anima--Classic Stompy +1
BANT:
..........Rubinia Soulsinger--Allies Tribal/Copy Effects +1
..........Derevi, Empyrial Tactician--9-Rare Theme +2
ESPER:
..........Zur the Enchanter--Bad Christmas/Krampus Theme +0
TEMUR (RUG):
..........Animar, Soul of Elements--B-Movie Monsters Theme +0
JUND:
..........Kresh the Bloodbraided--22 Braids Theme -2
MARDU:
..........Zurgo Helmsmasher--Damage Redirection/Control Synergy +1
GRIXIS:
..........Thraximundar--Allies and Heroic +0
..........Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge--Eldrazi Tribal +1
ABZAN (JUNK):
..........Doran, the Siege Tower--Treefolk Tribal -1
SULTAI (BUG):
..........The Mimeoplasm--Horror Movie Theme -1
JESKAI:
..........Narset, Enlightened Master--Harley Quinn Theme +1
FIVE COLOR:
..........Horde of Notions--Dredge/Elemental Tribal +1
..........Sliver Hivelord--Sliver Tribal +2
..........Scion of the Ur-Dragon--Dragon Tribal +2
COLORLESS:
..........Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger--Boring Eldrazi Tribal +0

Decks in Construction
Talrand, Sky Summoner--Investigate Theme
The Gitrog Monster--Witch Theme
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest--Nausicaa Theme?
Progenitus--Lands.dec
Iname, Death Aspect--Combo Spirit Tribal

So I'm missing Simic Guild (tried, but breaks so easily I get disinterested quickly), Orzhov Guild (historically has boring generals for me, but I might try one of the newest guys), Jeskai Clan (?) (haven't been entirely drawn into this...clan? I really want to say shard), and finally Colorless. With Artifacts and Eldrazi tribal in other decks, it'll be hard to find a unique direction for the Colorless deck. Hopefully the colorless basic land will change that.

I will say, I don't think Animar-Eldrazi will be very fun, but I suppose you say it's one of your competitive builds. Which is your favorite deck of all of these?

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Apr-18 12:13 am, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 12:45 pm 

33 decks!!! :shock:

Ani-drazi I'm not convinced about, mostly because when I play it I'm already having a ton of fun with coloured creatures and frankly I think too many colourless creatures would make it boring. It's just casting them for free that gets me excited ;)

Favourite deck? Which of your children do you love the most? :P I dunno, if I had a "go to" deck for fun, it'd be Mayael the Anima because big stompy creatures are my thing. Often however it turns in 50+ power of dudes for me while everyone else plays defence all game which isn't so fun for them. I've only played one game with Ixidor, (my newest deck, and one with the cards I was sent for Grixmas last year in them) and it was great fun, aside from getting Brine Elemental and Vesuvan Shapeshifter out at the same time. (They were dealt with, but it wasn't a fun time, so ol' Briney is coming out). My Jaya deck is fun but not very good, Wort, Boggart Auntie is cool, Sek'Kuar is really unusual to play (it has a very casual attitude towards its own creatures ;) )... and so on.

Tremayne has suggested to me that I alter the OP slightly and make this a compendium of other people's Deck Building Challenge of Doom decks - so listings for each colour combo and which Commander people are using for them. It's an interesting idea but I don't know how many other people would be interested in such a thing. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 1:30 pm 

I missed one, so 34 decks currently. How about I edit my post with all of the relevant information about those decks? General, strategy, and power level (of my own opinion, which may or may not be accurate). I won't say I'm always pleased with the decks, and technically three or so of them are piloted by my wife, but they are all at least in part my design or guidance. She'd be welcome to play any of them, but she's only interested in a few.

I don't have a particular deck either, actually. All of them see about the same amount of love, although the few on lower power levels don't get played as often as others. Polukranos, my mono-green devotion, tends to get love because it is medium powered and is also weirdly green control in a way? Thromok regularly gets to lv. 1000 (so to speak), which is really fun. I absolutely love dragons, so Scion is my go-to whenever I get that itch. It's more like getting an itch to play something specific, you know?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 3:20 pm 

Viperion wrote:
33 decks!!! :shock:

Ani-drazi I'm not convinced about, mostly because when I play it I'm already having a ton of fun with coloured creatures and frankly I think too many colourless creatures would make it boring. It's just casting them for free that gets me excited ;)

Favourite deck? Which of your children do you love the most? :P I dunno, if I had a "go to" deck for fun, it'd be Mayael the Anima because big stompy creatures are my thing. Often however it turns in 50+ power of dudes for me while everyone else plays defence all game which isn't so fun for them. I've only played one game with Ixidor, (my newest deck, and one with the cards I was sent for Grixmas last year in them) and it was great fun, aside from getting Brine Elemental and Vesuvan Shapeshifter out at the same time. (They were dealt with, but it wasn't a fun time, so ol' Briney is coming out). My Jaya deck is fun but not very good, Wort, Boggart Auntie is cool, Sek'Kuar is really unusual to play (it has a very casual attitude towards its own creatures ;) )... and so on.

Tremayne has suggested to me that I alter the OP slightly and make this a compendium of other people's Deck Building Challenge of Doom decks - so listings for each colour combo and which Commander people are using for them. It's an interesting idea but I don't know how many other people would be interested in such a thing. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

I have thought about doing this for a while now. maybe now is the time.

Edit: What I have now:
White: Heliod, creatureless
Blue: Thada Adel Thingamajigs and Dinglehoppers
Black: Drana, Liberator of Malakir vampire tribal
Red: Krenko goblin tribal
Green: Titania where did all my lands go?

Azorius: Rasputin Dreamweaver cheat on fatties
Dimir: Ramirez DePietro pirate themed
Rakdos: Axelrod Guns n Roses theme
Gruul: Stonebrow, Krosan Hero trample and anti-artifact and enchantments
Selesnya: Trostani, Selesnya's Voice make some tokens?

Orzhov: Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim Life gain combo
Golgari: Glissa, the Traitor WoW themed
Boros: Anya, Merciless Angel protect the little guy
Izzet: Nin artifacts deck
Simic: Kiora, Master of the Depths I need to build this deck still

Bant: Jenara Counters matter
Esper: Dakkon Blackblade master blacksmith
Grixis: Lord of Tresserhorn zombies tribal
Jund: Sek'kuar mid-range goodstuff
Naya: Mayael the Anima cheating on fatties again

Abzan: Ghave counters matter
Jeskai: Shu Yun creatureless
Sultai: Tasigur BUG goodstuff
Mardu: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls Angel tribal
Temur: Intet, the Dreamer

4/5/0 Color
Witch-Maw Nephilim goodstuff
General Tazri 5c Allies
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger is dinner ready yet?

As soon as I finish my Kiora, Master of the Depths I will be done!

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2016-Jan-31 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 6:30 pm 

I think I may have quite a bit of these now too, lets see
Mono Red - Daretti Artifacts
Mono White - Soldiers
Mono Blue - Ixidor Morphs
Mono Green - Elves
Mono Black - Life leach - Demons

Simic - Snakes
Boros - Warriors - Angels
Orzhov - Ayli - Undecided theme - still to build
Rakdos - Grenzo goblins
Gruul - X Creatures (like hydras), Mina and Denn, Wildborn - still to build
Selesnya - Dragonlord dromoka/Angels - Fight/+1+1 counters
Azorius - Bruna Voltron
Dimir - Oona faeries / exile - still to build
Golgari - None - still to build
Izzet - Niv Draco genius Forcefeed infinite hand size - still to build

Naya - Beasts
Bant - Treva Lifegain
Esper - Sen Triplets hand theft
Temur - None - Maybe Surrak beats - still to build
Jund - Karrthus Dragons
Mardu - Zurgo Sun Forger
Grixis - Nekusar zombie tribal
Abzan - None - Probably +1/+1 counters eventually - still to build
Sultai - Tasigur, the Golden Fang self mill
Jeskai - Burn spellslinger

Five colour - Genju of the Realms Lands
Colourless - Newlamog (fairlamog)

Wow, i have nearly all of this done. Surprising really as i took quite a few decks apart for my EDH cube but as I have foiled it, i suppose the original cards became free again and went back in the decks. Awesome! so 7 decks to go!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Last edited by maiden77 on 2016-Jan-21 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-07 7:36 pm 

I almost have a complete set as well. The ones I am missing are more due to lack of commanders to really fit my inspiration, and were set to build last, but their time is come. Hrm, what to do with them.

Black- none, want some Mordor themed deck
Blue-Aboshan sea monsters and cephalid masters
Green- Titania Argothian defenders
Red- Bosh big dumb robots
White- Raksha cats and equipment (puss -n- Boots)

Azorius- Isperia, Supreme Judge law and order control
Boros- Anax and Cymede heroic soldiers
Selesnya- Trostani big tokens and lifegain
Simic- Prime Speaker Zegana merfolk mania
Golgari- Sisters of Stone Death serpent army
Orzhov- Obzedat spiritual revival
Izzet- in progress, Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius dragon magic (fire and redirect/copy effects)
Dimir- Vela mafia and yakuza combine
Rakdos- Olivia vampires don't sparkle
Gruul- Livonya Silone barbaric fight club

Jund- none, want a Jund elf legend...
Bant- Roon magical christmas land Day of the Dragons combo
Grixis- Thraximundar zombie apocalypse
Naya- Gahiji altered beasts
Esper- Dakkon humanity's last stand
Jeskai- Ruhan ultimate warriors
Mardu- none, thinking Tariel angels, just no theme idea beyond that
Sultai- Mimeoplasm mad scientists (It's Alive!)
Temur- Maelstrom Wanderer elemental tribal morph and manifest
Abzan- Daghatar +1/+1 counters

I have no intention of a colorless or 5 color build, so 25 decks is my goal. Some only have a theme based on a game mechanic, which leaves them lacking in both validity and interest to me, but it is a work in progress. Most of my decks are what I call "hard" tribal, in that every creature has to have that creature type, even tokens. Most are strict on theme as well, where every non-land card absolutely has to fit. Some are broader "hard" tribal, though, like Sisters, which is Snakes, Naga, and Gorgons. I don't have decklists online, and have no intention of trying to maintain them that way, but if someone really is curious, I could type up a current list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-08 3:26 am 

I will have to update my list above already. >.>

At GP Atlanta I picked up Ezuri, Claw of Progress for some future deck or Cube addition. Not really as a commander, just a decent card. Well, I've also been thinking about morph/manifest deck, but hadn't settled on a color or general or direction for the deck. These two ideas seemed linked, so I took out cards last night, just before going to sleep, which seemed good. This morning I eliminated cards until I had a deck. It was easier than I thought it would be. It doesn't have all of the best morph/manifest cards, but plenty of really good cards.

If only I could get the Orzhov deck to appear that easily.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-08 5:08 am 

This is the end goal for me, but it's a long way off yet. I have 5.5 decks at the moment, having made and disassembled at least that many of different colour combinations to the ones I have (which I'll probably rebuild as I get closer to the goal). My group's a bit on the rough side in terms of power level, so I suspect I just get disheartened if something doesn't hang well and it gets junked. Part of the problem is probably that I try and make all the decks equally awesome instead of just accepting it's ok to have favorites...

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-12 1:06 pm 

GAH. So stuck on getting the last two decks pushed out. I've been searching through cards since this threat appeared trying to finished off an Orzhov and Jeskai decks. I'm really tempted to follow David McDarby's deck restriction by making a deck of only cards with their name starting with the letter 'S,' headed by Selenia, Dark Angel (McDarby made one with Scion of the Ur-Dragon at the head). This is because I don't know what I want to do with the B/W combination. The 2-cost legend coming out in the next Zendikar set makes me groan, as it isn't doing anything new with the combination. We didn't need another way to construct the infinite life combo. Triad of Fate might be a possibility, as I've lately been impressed with Sid's version of the deck.

Jeskai has a different problem. The somewhat interesting legends--Narset, Zedruu, and Ruhan--are either broken or done to death (how I feel right now). Zedruu has just about one build, and exchanging control of things just isn't my thing. Ruhan would have been a possibility, if it wasn't the go-to Jeskai commander right now (at least that's sort of how I feel). Numot might be possible, if I wouldn't get run out of every game I ever try to join. So that leaves Shu Yun. So I kinda feel shoved into making that deck work. I'm imagining something with a lot of complicated stack/rules interactions, but I'm not settled on what that even looks like.

(Yes, I still have Colorless to make, but I'm waiting to see what we get in the next set.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-12 1:52 pm 

Looking through my MTGO decks, here's my 80% list. Some have not been updated in a while since I am still slowly importing decks from V3 to V4 and updating one at a time.

Bold decks are on V4, Italics are my few Paper decks.
W:Kemba, Cat Tribal
U:Rayne, Wizard Tribal
B:-
R:Homura, Aggroburn
G:Jedit Ojanen of Efrava, Cats, Warriors and Cat Warriors (Yeva, Seshiro, Druid)

WU:Rasputin, Proliferate (Kangee, Jedit)
WB:-
UB:Sygg, River Cutthroat, Rogue Tribal
UR:Nin, the Pain Artist, Wizard Tribal (Jhoira)
BR:-
BG:Sapling, Treefolk Tribal, (Iname, Thelon)
RG:-
RW:Brion, Giant Tribal (likely to become Kalemne)
GW:Captain Sisay, Legends
GU:Edric, Rogue Tribal

WUB:Halfdane, Shapeshifter Tribal
WBR:Tariel, Angel Tribal
UBR:Lord of Tresserhorn, Zombie Tribal (Garza)
URG:Animar, Elemental Tribal
BRG:Xira, Insect Tribal
BGW:Ghave, Fungus Tribal (Karador, Doran)
RGW:Gahiji, Beast Tribal (Hazezon, Jacques)
RWU:Zedruu, Monk Tribal
GWU:Rafiq, Exalted Deck (non-voltron) (Jenara)
GUB: -

WUBRG: Progenitus Hydra near-Tribal (Horde, Scion, Karona x 3(2), Cromat)
Brown: Karn, Silver Golem, Golem Tribal

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-12 8:22 pm 

Colorless
Karn - Tokens

Mono Colored
Kemba - Voltron
King Macar - Challenge Deck (21014), semi unfocused.
Kiki-Jiki - Mono Red Control
Omnath - Voltron

Allied Guilds
Lazav - Blue Black disruption.

Enemy Guilds
Niv Mizzet - All Infinite Combos
Disciple of Iroas - Challenge Deck (2015) moving towards Giant Tribal
Glissa, the Traitor - Control

Shards
Zur - Toolbox Control
Nicol Bolas - Group Slug
Kresh - Red Zone
Gahiji, Honored One - Akido

Wedges
Tariel - Stax
Animar - Kamigawa Spirits / Arcane Tribal
Karador - Token / Rock
Mimeoplasm - Jack in the Box / Hermit Druid Combo

WUBRG
Karona - God Tribal

Nine unfinished, 8 in process:
Ayesha Tanaka - Banding Old Border
Narset, Enlightened Master - Superfriends
Wort, the Raidmother - Instant / Sorcery tribal
Experiment Kraj - Counter Shenanigans
Sakashima the Imposter - "I didn't bring my deck, may I borrow yours?"
Rubinia Soulsinger - Faerie Trickery
Ovilia Voldaren - Red / Black Cruel Control
Karametra, God of the Harvest - White / Green Card Advantage /Token Swarm

Not sure who my Orzhov commander will be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-13 8:33 am 

Small update in the OP to include links (to deckstats.net) to the decks I've updated recently.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-26 10:29 am 

http://deckstats.net/decks/54758/?lng=en

My keyboard is currently broken so I'm typing this by mouse. It's annoying. Anyway, that's the reason I didn't add descriptions. EDIT: adding descriptions is a lot of work, even with a keyboard. I'll keep working on them, bit by bit.

Nahiri - Mono-white Prowess . . . a Leering Emblem deck. Tries to cast lots of spells in a turn and attack with an unblockable 40-power creature. If I were to take out the infinite combos for a more casual-friendly meta (there aren't many infinite combos and they aren't the point of the deck and there aren't a lot of tutors or card-draw/card-sifting to find the pieces), I would probably cut Phyrexian Altar for Leonin Battlemage. As an alternative gameplan, I can make a bunch of tokens and go wide with Caged Sun/Crovax, Ascendant Hero/Auriok Steelshaper. Also this deck is a Presence of the Master deck. Actually, Presence is a pet card I wanted to fit into a deck but hadn't yet, so I forced it to fit here. There are a few cards in the deck for only that reason: Glarecaster, Sudden Disappearance, Seht's Tiger, and more.

Thada Adel - Merfolk-tribal-lite. Only 22 true Merfolk, a Soul Foundry, a Riptide Replicator, a Stolen Identity, and a couple of Shapeshifters. Most of the deck revolves around making lands into Islands and stealing mana rocks from opponents' libraries. Very fun things happen with Avarice Totem in this deck. Otherwise, generic mono-blue aggro/control. The only infinite combo I know of in the deck is Wanderwine Prophets. Deliberately powered-down, which is why Cyclonic Rift is not in the deck. Even powered-down, Thada herself can be pretty annoying, and can deal 21 damage pretty quickly with some Merfolk lords and some stolen equipment.

Seizan - Group Hug/Slug. Bleeds the table with Seizan, Fate Unraveler, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, Maralen of the Mornsong, Psychogenic Probe, Massacre Wurm, and Repay in Kind. Keeps creatures off the field. Has a Maralen/Omen Machine restriction, meaning none of the cards in the deck are useless while those cards are out. Seizan, Bloodgift Demon and Damnable Pact become hate cards. Everything else avoids the word "draw." Also has a Platinum Emperion restriction, so nothing requires me to "pay life." Otherwise Necropotence would obviously go in. There are a few broken combos in there (Emperion + Ad Nauseam, or a non-infinite-but-really-high-Gravestorm Bitter Ordeal+Psychogenic Probe), but mostly it just bleeds the table little by little then swings for big damage to finish them off.

Slobad - Artifact recursion, combos, and control Whenever I see a Slobad deck I think "cutthroat" and this is pretty much my most winning deck. The only restrictions I put on this deck were: that it be "true" highlander, so only 1 Mountain and 1 Snow-Covered Mountain, and no Winter Orb, because that would just be too mean. Even decks packed with artifact hate or even with an artifact hate Commander (more on that in a second) have a hard time not losing to this deck. It's a little stale, for me. I will probably find a new mono-red Commander soon. Feldon looks interesting, maybe.

Glissa - Green ramp with a couple of subthemes of Elves and artifact hate. I have always loved my monogreen deck. It was the second deck I ever made for this format, although it was Multani, Maro-Sorcerer at the helm then. Glissa became my Commander when I discovered she could be used to break a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir+Knowledge Pool lock, although I have never encountered it since the change. Also when Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary was still legal in the 99 I had Green Sun's Zenith and Worldly Tutor in the deck and would always tutor him out as early as I could, which led to me including Wirewood Lodge, which led to the Elf subtheme. When Rofellos was banned, I had enough elves in the deck to justify Priest of Titania as a replacement (although obviously Rofellos was way better). The deck wins by being stompy green. Genesis Wave for 15 is not an uncommon play with this deck.

Gaddock - Yes. Feel the hate flow through you. This deck is as mean as my Slobad deck, but it wins a lot less. Basically tries to stop opponents from doing anything other than cast creatures and small removal spells, and attack. It's a "fair" deck, in that my deck obeys most of the restrictions it puts on its opponents (except that it tutors lands but has Aven Mindcensor and Leonin Arbiter, and it has some graveyard abuse but has Ground Seal and Rest in Peace, and it has Hushwing Gryff and a bunch of EtB triggers). Its greatest problem is that hatebears are too small; if I'm shutting down shenanigans all across the board but one player is able to cast an 8/8, all it takes is that one battlecruiser to target me a few turns before I'm dead. The table as a whole doesn't even need to team up against me. A long time ago I considered it an interesting thought experiment to see what combos could go infinite without activated abilities, and stumbled upon Dual Nature + Fiend Hunter (exile all opponents' creatures and reuse any EtB effects of your creatures any number of times), but I took it out because the deck is meant to be more of an arbiter than a schemer.

Isperia - Flying tribal. No creature is allowed in the deck unless it has flying. It's a really clunky deck, one of my most casual. Just play a land, attack, cast a creature . . . every turn. That said, the deck is far from boring. Cute things you can do with only fliers include Galepowder Mage + Gilded Drake, Angel of Finality + Restoration Angel, Dawnglare Invoker + Medomai the Ageless, and more. Restoration Angel is a bit of a tough one, though, as I don't like having to leave 4 mana open every turn. Pact of Negation and Commandeer are the easiest counterspells to cast in a deck that aims to be tapping its mana on its own turn every turn. I considered Foil and Force of Will but decided these were better.

Lazav - Using my opponents' tools against them. Probably one of my favorite decks, I think it has the highest ratio of pet cards to staple cards. It has one infinite combo, which only requires two cards but takes some additional set-up so I'm okay with it. Usually Lazav becomes something huge like Avacyn and proceeds to wreck face, but sometimes he isn't needed at all, or he becomes a utility creature, or whatever. This deck is so adaptable and versatile and interactive, it just never gets old. Even with the 2-card infinite combo that I'm okay with. If I do start playing on MODO again, this would probably be one of the first ones I build. Bummer that online I lose access to Extract from Darkness.

Exava - Aggro. Just aggro. Removal to deal with blockers, haste creatures and +1/+1 counters. Also because my Commander has first strike, I added Death Pits of Rath, Archetype of Finality, Shriveling Rot, and Everlasting Torment. All of which are pretty great with Deathbringer Thoctar. I can't seem to make this deck more streamlined aggro, probably because of the 40 life start, so I had to add a bunch of midrange to my curve. The deck doesn't feel super strong, but it can win a game here and there, and it definitely feels like its own deck, rather than generic BR goodstuff, which is the most important thing to me.

Ulasht - Dogpiling. Speaking of generic goodstuff, here's every half-decent RG creature all in a deck together! Actually, not really. It's pretty generic, but since few of the cards see all that much play, it's really not goodstuff. Umm, I don't have much to say about this one. Never played a real game with it, just wanted to use an under-used Commander.

Kaseto - Snakes, morphs, and combat tricks. RG and GU were the final additions to my list of all decks. I haven't built them in paper, and haven't played a game with either of them yet. It took a long time for WotC to make a GU legendary creature I was actually excited for as a Commander. I love snakes, and although there aren't enough good ones to really build a "true" tribal (at least 33 creatures/tribals of that type) that is remotely decent to play, I'm happy with what is available here. Kaseto swinging for 21 is doable but not easy, and has other uses to avoid a totally linear Commander. I'm looking forward to actually trying this out someday.

Arjun - Casting spells, a lot. Unlike Kaseto, who wasn't built until a few weeks ago, Arjun has been a deck of mine for a long time, only with Tibor and Lumia as Commander and with a bunch of extra flying-related effects (Student of Elements, Predator, Flagship, Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor, Thundercloud Elemental, etc.) and some damage-based effects (Embermaw Hellion) and target-tricks (Willbreaker, Dismiss into Dream) and color-word tricks (Whim of Volrath, Glamerdye). Anyway, this deck replaces all that with extra card draw. Also I cut a few infinite combos, although this deck still has Snap + Nucklavee + Mana Geyser. The main reason for the change is that Tibor and Lumia wasn't interactive enough: it either durdled around and then lost, or it durdled around and then went infinite. Arjun can attack for 7 three times with a little help from either Clout of the Dominus or Mindwrack Liege. I like winning via the redzone more than by "going off" because my opponents were ignoring me.

Tajic - Indestructible plus attack equals threat. Hard to sum up in one sentence, other than "indestructible and attacking." Not exactly voltron, although there's a bunch of equipment in there along with Bludgeon Brawl. Not exactly token army, although there are several ways of making sure Tajic will be able to attack with at least 2 creatures beside him. Not exactly Wraths.dec, although there are 10 Wrath effects in there and several creatures that will survive Wrath (lands and artifacts that become creatures, token-makers, and indestructibles). Also I threw in a couple of extra combat step cards to help Tajic get to Dreadnought level power. Not that he needs to, just for fun.

Orzhova - Lifegain and lifeloss. It's pretty grind-y and attrition-y, but I still find it fun after 8 years and haven't changed it much. One of my favorite things to do in this deck is to play Phyrexian Processor, pay all but 1 life, and then activate it with Angelic Chorus out, going back up to whatever I was before, or nearly double if I have Rhox Faithmender/Alhammarret's Archive. It's especially satisfying when there's a red player with mana open and cards in hand, because nobody plays Lightning Bolt in this format . . . almost. Anyway, this deck has a lot of options for dealing with threats, and a few ways to victory other than bleeding every opponent little by little.

Pharika - Enchantress and graveyard manipulation. Put a bunch of creatures into graveyards, play politics, keep your opponents from abusing their graveyards by leaving 2 or 4 mana open every turn. The fact that the snakes she makes have deathtouch is often relevant, and also that they are enchantments is relevant. For a while I also had a Snakes theme and because I had Hooded Hydra I added a morph theme, but those got trimmed away with the exception of Seshiro the Anointed. The biggest challenge with this deck is that it's slow to ramp and slow to fill its graveyard. Definitely capable of winning (especially when all my opponents were relying on graveyard shenanigans), but one of my weaker decks.

Jenara - Never tap a land on my own turn. A bunch of instants, a few cards with flash, and a Krosan Tusker who isn't meant to be cast. Casting Jenara herself is about the only time I would ever tap lands on my turn (or responding to something an opponent does during my combat or end step) and I usually don't do that until turn 8 or so anyway, or earlier with Savage Summoning. The deck is loaded with pet cards and situationally useful cards.

Ertai - Tribal Wizards. This deck, like my Gaddock Teeg deck, has a problem fitting into playgroups well. It's not strong enough to be cutthroat, but it has a few infinite combos that many casual groups find unfun. Still, the combos all revolve around creatures, and I don't have Teferi so I don't consider them non-interactive. Also I get to play sweet pet cards like Stormscape Master and Faces of the Past and Amoeboid Changeling and Supreme Inquisitor. I did decide that Sage of Fables + Puppeteer Clique + sac outlet was too easy to assemble and too immediate an effect, so Sage got cut from the list.

Tresserhorn - Turning upsides down, and downsides up. General chaos deck, with a side-theme of trying to force my opponents to lose by having my Phage the Untouchable enter the battlefield under their control. I haven't added any cards to this deck in a long time; only just now while I was typing this paragraph did I realize I never put Worst Fears in. Anyway, that mistake has been corrected. Really fun, unusual concept, but the Chaos element isn't that unusual, and creates some undesired rules headaches sometimes when my playgroup just wants to play Magic.

Sek'Kuar - The Birthing Pod stairwell. A Birthing Pod deck, with a hasty powerful token attack theme. Also, one card I'm surprised isn't in more Birthing Pod decks in this format is Sanguine Praetor. It's a great way to get around shroud/hexproof, without Wrathing away the entire board. This deck does one two-card infinite combo (Sekki, Seasons' Guide + Warstorm Surge), but there's no way to tutor out both pieces at the same time, so the combo doesn't come up most games. There are also a bunch of non-infinite combos in the deck, my favorite at the moment is Nether Traitor + Thermopod. With Sek'Kuar, that becomes "{B}: Add {R}{R} to your mana pool." Add in another token-producer, like Sifter of Skulls, and it becomes "{B}: Add {R}{R} to your mana pool. Put a 3/1 Graveborn token with haste onto the battlefield."

Uril - My dedicated land destruction deck. It's not super cutthroat, but it's hard to interact with an enemy Commander with hexproof when you don't have any lands, so I would not put this deck very high on the fun-to-play-against scale. Making it even worse is that the deck tends to win slowly sometimes after a Jokulhaups effect, so even though my opponents know I'm probably going to win, they often choose to play it out anyway, extending the time of frustrated play. In my mind, this deck deserves to exist, but I certainly won't bring it out in every playgroup.

Oros - Sunforger and working together. So many themes and small synergies. There's Sunforger at the heart of it, but it also has a small theme of making the most out of Concerted Effort, and many other pet cards, like Oath of Lieges and Spiteful Visions and Blight Sickle. Treasury Thrull and Argentum Armor nicely complement Aurelia, the Warleader and Godo, Bandit Warlord. Also good with Godo are Mirror Entity and Cairn Wanderer. Wanderer feeds nicely off of some of the same cards that help Concerted Effort, such as Mirran Crusader and Tariel, Reckoner of Souls. Then there's damage redirection, do avoid hurting my own team with Oros (although they're almost all white creatures anyway), in Kor Shaman and Razia, Boros Archangel. Each little piece fits in with another piece. This is one of my favorite decks, and one of the hardest ones to update when something new that looks good for it comes out.

Intet - Stacking the deck. This is a solid control deck. Has some deckbuilding restrictions: nothing that would be hurt by Mindlock Orb, and nothing that would hurt to be cast by Intet, the Dreamer's ability. Also, because every card was Intet-able, it didn't take much extra for me to make every card also be Cast Through Time-able. But then CTT got cut, so now I have a control deck with Blue that has almost no counter magic, for no real reason. Also after I cut CTT, more powerful CTT-able counter magic got printed (Brutal Expulsion and Mystic Confluence), so maybe that will go back in someday.

Daghatar the adamantly undecided. Cheap aggro creatures, some hatebears, and some massive noncreature permanents, and Obzedat's Aid and Profound Journey. I haven't totally figured out what I'm doing with this deck yet, but each time I look at it I get it a little closer to fun for me.

Narset - Graveyard filling, and graveyard manipulation in the three colors that are the worst at it. Basically I just hadn't made a deck that used any of the Dragon Scales cycle yet, and I wanted to do that and Wild Research looked cool and also fit with that cycle quite nicely. Unfortunately, the only available Commanders in these colors who cost at least 6 mana are Numot and Narset, both pretty unloved by people who have faced them. Numot's ability was less interesting to me, and also he has flying, which made Dragon Wings even less good, so Narset it is.

Damia - Ramp and Rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes, if you're not familiar with the term in this context, means cards that exist in plain sight that normally just sit there, but could bite if an opponent does something that you don't like. Seal of Primordium and Brittle Effigy are great examples. They also go great with Damia, as you are able to cast them right away, even if they don't have any good targets at the moment, so you can empty your hand to refill again at your next upkeep. Also Damia is amazingly good with Shared Fate, a card that makes my playgroup groan whenever they see it.

Glint-Eye - Stompy Saboteurs. Hitting hard with creatures that give bonuses when they hit. Also turning those bonuses into bigger bonuses by making the creatures themselves bigger/better (Berserkers' Onslaught, Gigantomancer), or making creatures that have the abilities of the little saboteurs but the bodies of giants (Quicksilver Gargantuan, The Mimeoplasm). Also some saboteurs are naturally big to begin with (Mindleech Mass, Charnelhoard Wurm). This deck almost never runs out of gas thanks to Glint-Eye, and applies pressure at every moment. Really a blast to play.

Dune-Brood - Non-Blue can be tricksy, too. Token armies, buffs, and cards that don't see much play but have unique, valuable effects, such as Volcanic Wind and Duneblast and Plunge Into Darkness and Urborg Justice.

Ink-Treader - Extra value out of spells. There usually isn't too much variation between one Ink-Treader deck and another. This plays a lot of effects that cheaply generate tokens for myself and my opponents, a bunch of instants and sorceries that have "draw a card" or "gain 2 life" or "untap up to two lands" attached, creating huge value when copied for every creature on the field. Also plays Arcane Lighthouse and Glaring Spotlight, so even if an opponent has Asceticism I still get value out of their creatures.

Witch-Maw - Pseudo-voltron with cascade. Built with the restriction that no spell will be a whiff if hit on cascade, so no X spells (except Wargate, which still works when X is 0) (also Villainous Wealth, which I keep switching in and out of the deck because it's so good when it works), no counterspells I wouldn't be willing to cast on my own spells (Arcane Denial is fine, because I'll draw 3 cards, so it's just like turning whatever the cascade card was into Harmonize). It also mostly obeys a Ground Seal restriction, with the exception of Spellweaver Volute because it's a pet card of mine.

Yore-Tiller - Like a better Alesha. It does everything you would want Alesha to do, AND it doesn't cost any mana, AND it gives you access to cool blue reanimation targets and blue graveyard filling (Forbidden Alchemy, Sphinx of Lost Truths, Looter Il-Kor, Kederekt Leviathan, Nicol Bolas).

Sliver Legion - Not many Slivers, Wild Pair. It's a Wild Pair deck, focused on even numbers. An opponent running Archangel of Strife would totally wreck the main engine of this deck. I like it, but it's not the strongest. It's aggro and it runs out of steam pretty easily.

I actually have only about 16 of them built in paper, and I'll be selling them all soon, maybe. Also I have a few retired decklists.

Last edited by intreped on 2016-Feb-28 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-31 11:25 am 

So with the completion of my Simic deck I will have completed this challenge! 28 Decks of awesomeness!

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile