Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 9:26 pm

Post subject: Frequently Underestimated Cards
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-28 2:14 pm 

So, what cards, if any, routinely go unanswered at the table because they initially seem innocuous, innocent, or just plain weak? For me, it's usually Mold Adder because of how it starts as a 1/1. But, considering how many people play blue or black, it can sometimes hit 4/4 before my turn comes around again.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Frequently Underestimated Cards
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-28 3:49 pm 

Pyreheart Wolf, every time. Also, I feel there might already be one of these threads somewhere in Random Chatter...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-28 4:10 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Pyreheart Wolf, every time. Also, I feel there might already be one of these threads somewhere in Random Chatter...

If it is, it ain't on the first two pages.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-28 4:23 pm 

Jeweled Amulet is a card that is amazing in any deck that has a 3CMC general. Jaya Ballard in particular loves it because to her it is never a dead card.

Speaking of fast ramp, an underrated mana dork is Skirk Prospecter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 4:05 am 

Previous #1

Previous #2

I'll reiterate Harsh Mercy for when you are tribal (or nearly so)... usually a Wrath for opponents only.

Cream of the Crop seems to last longer than I expect when I drop it. While very good, there are usually more pressing threats so it is usually under the radar. Combine with something like Lurking Predators for fun (but then it bumps up in targetability).

Quote:
Speaking of fast ramp, an underrated mana dork is Skirk Prospector

FTFY

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 6:00 am 

I just noticed Ice Floe.

I mean, I know it's kind of redundant with Maze of Ith, and it can't target flyers, but what Maze does is ignore that creature's attack that turn, whereas Floe takes the damage for that turn and then the creature is useless until you wish to use Floe again. To be really good it probably needs some help from Deserted Temple/Krosan Restorer/Stone-Seeder Hierophant, or even Ruin Ghost, so that you can keep it tapped during your untap step but still be able to use it when a creature attacks you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 6:03 am 

I love Skirk Prospector. One day I will win a game off nothing but a Goblin Warrens, Skirk Prospector, Ashnod's Altar, Rings of Brighthearth, and five goblins. And it will be so sweet.

My own submission is Forgotten Ancient.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 6:30 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I love Skirk Prospector. One day I will win a game off nothing but a Goblin Warrens, Skirk Prospector, Ashnod's Altar, Rings of Brighthearth, and five goblins. And it will be so sweet.

The usual reaction to these cards tends to be "It's just a dinky 1/1, it's no threat". Wait a couple turns and BLAM. It's not such a dinky little 1/1 anymore.

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 8:25 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

This is a novel use of "nothing but."

Especially when you substitute Mana Echoes for both the Rings and the Altar and start with 2 fewer goblins and still make infinite mana.

Oh. And my suggestion is Galepowder Mage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-29 11:23 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

This is a novel use of "nothing but."

Alas! My subtle ruse has been unmasked!

Quote:
Especially when you substitute Mana Echoes for both the Rings and the Altar and start with 2 fewer goblins and still make infinite mana.

Using Mana Echoes with anything is tantamount to cheating. You should have seen my friend's faces when I hit them both for 120 Disintegrate damage last week...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-31 12:26 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Using Mana Echoes with anything is tantamount to cheating. You should have seen my friend's faces when I hit them both for 120 Disintegrate damage last week...

Mana Echos is very close to the top of my "We're all about to die if that sticks" list. I've tried to play it in several decks, and it jsyt never does fair+fun things, like... ever. If basically always does nothing at all, or it produces utterly obscene/basically infinite/actually infinite mana.

Palisade Giant is one of my favorite cards lately... everyone tends to ignore him. But he's surprisingly game-dominating when, say, equipped with a sword. Or a darksteel plate. Or just protected by 8.5 Tails.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-31 1:25 am 

kaldare wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Mana Echos is very close to the top of my "We're all about to die if that sticks" list. I've tried to play it in several decks, and it jsyt never does fair+fun things, like... ever. If basically always does nothing at all, or it produces utterly obscene/basically infinite/actually infinite mana.

Palisade Giant is one of my favorite cards lately... everyone tends to ignore him. But he's surprisingly game-dominating when, say, equipped with a sword. Or a darksteel plate. Or just protected by 8.5 Tails.

Can attest to the P. giant in 8.5 Tails. Basically says "while you have open mana, you can't lose life."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-31 2:49 am 

intreped wrote:
I just noticed Ice Floe.

I mean, I know it's kind of redundant with Maze of Ith, and it can't target flyers, but what Maze does is ignore that creature's attack that turn, whereas Floe takes the damage for that turn and then the creature is useless until you wish to use Floe again. To be really good it probably needs some help from Deserted Temple/Krosan Restorer/Stone-Seeder Hierophant, or even Ruin Ghost, so that you can keep it tapped during your untap step but still be able to use it when a creature attacks you.

I think Ice Flow just needs to be tapped during your opponent's untap step, unless they have something like Seedborn Muse, Prophet of Kruphix, or Murkfiend Liege.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-31 4:04 am 

Celerus wrote:
I think Ice Flow just needs to be tapped during your opponent's untap step, unless they have something like Seedborn Muse, Prophet of Kruphix, or Murkfiend Liege.

The ability sets a duration of "as long as Ice Floe remains tapped." Once the ability has resolved, if Ice Floe is ever untapped the effect ends. I think what intreped meant was that if you have something to untap it you can switch which creature you're keeping on ice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-31 4:32 am 

My interpretation of the ability is that it only checks if Ice Flow is untapped during your opponent's untap step, right?

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile