Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-22 7:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What could I say for you to give Commander on MTGO a chance?
AgePosted: 2016-May-19 1:23 pm 

I re-upped.

I have....many questions.
So I did my new player drafts and have my initial collection.

I'm thinking I want to build my Horobi deck because it was super fun and casual. I know there are stores that sell MTGO for real money, but I don't want to pay Paypal cash for virtual. I'd rather just get the tickets and trade, which is weirdly the same thing, but yeah, haha.

What sets are online? My deck had Cuombajj Witches (which I see are part of Masters edition) but a bunch of random jank from across the ages. Mostly Theros stuff though. Is there an area for Commander players? The itnerfact has...changed. I see some CMDR games in the lobby occasionally though.

How much am I looking at for a bunch of crappy enchantmetns and a Horobi, maybe a Masticore (if that exists?).

Also....if I use swamps in one deck do I have to buy more swamps for other decks?

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-19 4:51 pm 

CrazyPierre wrote:
I re-upped.

I have....many questions.

Welcome back

CrazyPierre wrote:
What sets are online? My deck had Cuombajj Witches (which I see are part of Masters edition) but a bunch of random jank from across the ages. Mostly Theros stuff though.

Everything Mirage to present is online. Roughly 60% of cards ABUR - Alliances are online through Master's Editions, Vintage Masters and Regular Reprints. Homelands is likely the set with the least amount of cards online.

CrazyPierre wrote:
Is there an area for Commander players? The itnerfact has...changed. I see some CMDR games in the lobby occasionally though.

Generally, Constructed Play Lobby > Just for Fun is where you will find games. If you select Commander game format and a Deck, you can also move from room to room in the Constructed Open area to see if any have open games.

CrazyPierre wrote:
How much am I looking at for a bunch of crappy enchantmetns and a Horobi, maybe a Masticore (if that exists?).

Price-checking my usual bot:
Horobi is 0.01 reg / 0.03 foil
Masticore is 0.01 reg / 0.38 foil
most crappy and/or common enchantments are likely 0.01 per card.

Also, my offer to anyone that wants a few hundred + common/uncommon cards to start an online collection is still open. Add me (treamayne) and/or my clan account (casualandcommander) to your buddies and message me if you see me online. Or, shoot me a PM here to arrange a meet-up (my work schedule is weird).

CrazyPierre wrote:
Also....if I use swamps in one deck do I have to buy more swamps for other decks?

Like everything online, each card can be in any number of decks and/or binders. E.g. Given 200 black cards and 3 generals, you could build three EDH decks with 80% card overlap if you wanted.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-20 4:02 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Also, my offer to anyone that wants a few hundred + common/uncommon cards to start an online collection is still open. Add me (treamayne) and/or my clan account (casualandcommander) to your buddies and message me if you see me online. Or, shoot me a PM here to arrange a meet-up (my work schedule is weird).
I may take you up on that, keep an eye peeled. My schedule is weird now too, so online works the best I would guess.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 10:00 am 

Back!

I am building Skullbriar, the Walking Grave, because he seemed cool to me irl but I never got around to it. My username is the same as everywhere, I have added you.

At the moment looking for a Skullbriar itself, and various black removal spells and so on. I should be good to go...in a week or two, once I figure out everything. I did some limited and it was pretty fun, I like the "free drafts", even with not keeping stuff I still got a bunch of excess mini-boosters. I've used one ticket to get two Sol Rings and the free bots have given me all the ramp, naturalize effects and so on that I could ever need.

Woot!

My deck won't be tuned, but it should be playable enough. I was told the meta on MTGO is very varied, so I'll see and adjust.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-26 11:20 am 

I'm pretty new to mtgo. Only played 1v1 with a buddy of mine here and there . I'm really looking to get a regular play group of some kind. If any of you would like to play sometime shoot me a pm. I'm usually online on the weekends but occasionally I'll get on for a few hours during the week.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-26 12:24 pm 

CrazyPierre wrote:
Back!

I am building Skullbriar, the Walking Grave, because he seemed cool to me irl but I never got around to it. My username is the same as everywhere, I have added you.

I have an extra Skullbriar and some other goodies that might be of use. Are there any other specific cards for which you might be looking?

MRHblue wrote:
I may take you up on that, keep an eye peeled. My schedule is weird now too, so online works the best I would guess.

jbroo wrote:
I'm pretty new to mtgo. Only played 1v1 with a buddy of mine here and there . I'm really looking to get a regular play group of some kind. If any of you would like to play sometime shoot me a pm. I'm usually online on the weekends but occasionally I'll get on for a few hours during the week.

I can probably be on for a few hours Sat and/or Sun. Either 9 AM EDT (after work for me - 1300 GMT) or 9ish PM (before work - 0100 GMT). but if it is PM I don't know if I would be able to finish a full game before I have to leave at 11, though I could do some trading/gifting in that time.

I'll have to check tonight when my next days off will be. My give-away commons and uncommons are on the Clan Account, so if you would like to trade we can coordinate so I log on the correct account.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 3:36 am 

I was considering going back to MTGO, reinstalled it on Sunday but have as yet to actually do anything with it... other games might take up my in-home computer free time, we'll see. I don't think I have enough to make a commander deck, and I have no idea what I would even build or acquire cards- all the cards I have are from a friend who had stuff to give away before he quit and a prerelease, and I'm still trying to figure out how this bot trading thing works.

I will add you and your clan, though. My handle is PlaneswalkingHomarid.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 4:09 am 

GraphiteGolem wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how this bot trading thing works.

I will add you and your clan, though. My handle is PlaneswalkingHomarid.

Welcome back.I can gift you some cards get a deck started if you want.

There are essentially two kinds of BOTs (this is all my personal definitions) and thee if you count the scammers*, but we all try to avoid them.

1) B&M Bots. These are BOTs created and mainted by actual brick and mortar cardshops, that also sell digital cards (such as Cape Fear Games in NC) These are my preferred vendors, and many have websites that will let you order outside the client and pay normally (like any store transaction) then deliver in the client. Most have great reputations. Many will often also sell Bot Credit, cheaper than the $1/ticket rate so you can just buy credit then use it slowly over time by trading with the BOT as you identify cards you need.

2) Online only bots. These are where some scammers hide, but most are just simply selling masses of cards (such as 250 commons for 1 ticket) or specific product (usually format staples). You initiate the trade with tickets in your active trade binder. Start selecting cards and when you are done it will put the appropriate amount of tickets in the other side of the trade. Then complete the trade as normal (Submit button, then Confirm).

For both kinds of bots, a credit balance is carries over (lack of carry over balance is one clue to a scammer, though not all scammers lack it and not all BOTs without carry over balance are scammers). So, if you select, for example, 4.37 tickets worth of product, the BOT will take five tickets. The next time you trade with that BOT you will have a .63 ticket credit waiting. (that's hoe they build repeat customers). I stick to one primary B&M BOT chain for normal cards and another online-only mass BOT for bulk commons.

**Note: The former mothership forums used to have threads for listing BOTs that scammed players. With those defunct, I'm sure you can google some lists of known scammers or check other sites that have dedicated MTGO sections for similar threads.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-02 8:17 am 

I actually HAVE played a tad online. I spent 40$ and bought the cards I needed to port my Maraxus of Keld deck to MODO. The reason I haven't been online in years to use it is because of the caliber of games available. I find that, even in the most casual of games, people are playing stupid combos or unfun cards.

To me, EDH breaks down without the regular playgroup of people you care about. Decks all just end up using stupid over powered generals or combos and my janky fun decks don't stand a chance.

It's the same reason i dont play much IRL any more. I dont have a regular playgroup with similar values

MODERATOR of WOOBERG.net the number one source for MTG variant formats

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-20 1:27 am 

CrazyPierre wrote:
Back!

At the moment looking for a Skullbriar itself, and various black removal spells and so on. I should be good to go...in a week or two, once I figure out everything. I did some limited and it was pretty fun, I like the "free drafts", even with not keeping stuff I still got a bunch of excess mini-boosters. I've used one ticket to get two Sol Rings and the free bots have given me all the ramp, naturalize effects and so on that I could ever need.

Woot!

My deck won't be tuned, but it should be playable enough. I was told the meta on MTGO is very varied, so I'll see and adjust.

Did you ever get your Skullbriar? I still have an extra if you need (and some stuff to go with it), just let me know.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-06 5:47 pm 

Ive managed to pull together a Noyan Darr deck online, though it's got a lot of random stuff and missing some staples I'm still trying to get my hands on.

Specifically
Akroma's vengeance
Evacuation
Nev Disk
Cyclonic Rift

I've had a lot of trouble dealing with board states getting out of hand, and I would usually include wraths, but I dont have any. These cards seem pretty cheap online, I just cant get hold of them. Im pretty happy to play online, I just dont expect to do very much of impact.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-06 11:56 pm 

Specter, it was great meeting up and I hope those tweaks work well for you.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-07 9:50 am 

I find myself in a pretty bind, too. I don't have the funds available to build my charted deck (between Archangel of Thune and Kalonian Hydra...), and I'm isolated from game stores that hold Commander games (I'm on Outer Cape Cod, and the nearest game store that I know holds Commander games is mid-Cape. I'm not fancying a total hour drive just for Commander, and public transit on the Cape is nothing to write home about, to say the least). But at the same time, I'm not sure online Commander will have the same timbre as physical, that it might also be a waste of money ultimately (even online, Archangel of Thune costs a pretty penny). So...I'm generally stuck just playing around with the chart, awaiting the day when I have both funds and location.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-07 11:35 am 

Well, you could always try MTGO and build a different deck on the cheap to start with so that you can play a few games and decide if you like the experience before you invest any significant money. After the $10 starting fee, I can give you some legends and enough staples and chaff to have a decent start, and the tickets you get when you sign up should be enough to fill any holes with bulk rares. Theoretically, you could get a start without investing any additional cash besides the initial $10. That might help you decide if you want to eventually dish out to build the Thune deck online.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-08 12:33 am 

Treamayne wrote:
deck on the cheap
My mtgo commander deck cost less than 2 tix and is super fun to play. Bulk commons, uncommons, and rares are effectively free (often fractions of a cent) on MTGO. If you don't feel the need to "optimize" things, you can build decks for next to nothing.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next