Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-09 6:02 pm

Post subject: What could I say for you to give Commander on MTGO a chance?
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 1:03 pm 

We have a neat community here, I'd love to table up and play Commander with a tonne of you.

I've been playing exclusively online now for a little over a year and it's honestly not as bad as the reputation it has. The only thing I find it lacks is a stronger community.

What's stopping you from having a go online?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What could I say for you to give Commander on MTGO a chance?
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 1:21 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
What's stopping you from having a go online?

Outside of the terrible bugs I hear people talk about off and on? Enough to convince me it's not just bias?

Well, mostly that I enjoy sitting at a table and having a face-to-face relationship with the people I play with. I started playing Magic: 1) because it sounded like a complicated enough game to keep me interested (artwork, themes/flavors being huge freaking cherries on top); 2) it was a great way to meet, hang out with, and become friends with other intelligent guys on my dorm floor and in the community in general. I have plenty of problems building any real kind of relationship with people over the Internet; I crave true human interaction.

I understand this seems rather hypocritical of me since I 'play' through the Game Thread here--or, at least, did in the past and sometimes do now. We now try to play through Skype, and being able to actually speak to the other guys whenever everyone has a mic is fantastic.

Otherwise, I also get a weird kick out of opening packs of cards. It's exciting to see what I've gotten, but there's also a strong memory of smell associated with the process akin to new books or new cars (or the smell of old books, for that matter).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 1:27 pm 

All valid points.

The bugs do happen, but I have them occur maybe 1 in every 10 games (and I think I am being generous, I don't remember the last time I've encountered a bug honestly)? I don't know, I'm trying to keep my bias in check, since online now is literally my only option, but I've been able to easily overlook a few ruined games due to bugs.

I can't defend the human interaction part, except to say if enough of this community signed up, we could easily emulate the game thread using skype, but also be able to see everyone's board state as well. It shouldn't need to be just playing a game with strangers online.

I can't defend the opening pack part either. I'm a person who bought a e-reader and never looked back at a physical novel again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 1:38 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
I can't defend the opening pack part either. I'm a person who bought a e-reader and never looked back at a physical novel again.

Shame. I remember a while back someone on my Facebook feed trying to say books are obsolete to e-readers, and the evidence of it is how few people carry around actual books anymore.

I pointed out that I had, the day I posted, three books in shoulder bag I was taking to work with me and there were two other books I had left at work. I'm never going to give up real books (and I mean books not including all of the textbooks I own; books I read for...no, I suppose I sometimes read textbooks for pleasure too...hmm...).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 1:58 pm 

I don't have the cards, and I don't have the money to buy the cards, and last time I logged on (~6 months ago) the interface was AWFUL

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 2:04 pm 

Segrus wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:

Shame. I remember a while back someone on my Facebook feed trying to say books are obsolete to e-readers, and the evidence of it is how few people carry around actual books anymore.

I pointed out that I had, the day I posted, three books in shoulder bag I was taking to work with me and there were two other books I had left at work. I'm never going to give up real books (and I mean books not including all of the textbooks I own; books I read for...no, I suppose I sometimes read textbooks for pleasure too...hmm...).

I lost my love of physical books after having to pay for and ship 5 or 6 large boxes of novels across 3 different continents and around multiple houses.

I've settled down for the first time in awhile, but being able to carry my library in my pocket is just too convenient. E-readers are a godsend for people who travel semi-frequently. When I used to visit Japan/Canada often for family visits I'd need to fill my suitcase with 5 or 6 books and that's less weight I have leftover for souvenirs and amazing Japanese/Canadian snacks and cans of maple syrup.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 2:36 pm 

Money. Almost exclusively.

I draft on mtgo, and I have no problems with the interface, but I dont have the card pool to construct a half decent deck.

I have been trying to keep a copy of most cards that aren't particularly valuable (since I flip the rares for tickets to draft more) but I'm not really in a position to build a deck without chucking in a lot of cash.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 2:53 pm 

So for those that mentioned money as a obstacle, is this in conjunction with your normal physical purchase of cards?

As in buying physical cards will always take priority over digital purchases?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 3:21 pm 

Last time I tried MTGO, it just didn't work on my PC. It literally took several minutes just to play a land and pass turn.

Now that I have a fancy gaming laptop I might be able to run it, but... I have this complete and utter inability to play video games in moderation. I got a fancy high end gaming laptop as a birthday/back to school/your old laptop literally requires a blowdrier to turn it on present, moved into residence at college, and every time I've installed video games I'll uninstall it within a few days because I'll just waste way too much time on it

I fail to see why MTGO would be different, even if I had a desire to see if MTGO would actually run for me and then to spend money on MTGO commander decks.

Also I'd much rather play MTG in person, and there's a gaming store that's basically across the street from the residence apartments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 7:51 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
So for those that mentioned money as a obstacle, is this in conjunction with your normal physical purchase of cards?

For me, yes. Plus I am under the impression that you can't get your money back on virtual cards, but I can with physical ones.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 9:07 pm 

Long time lurker...eight or more years.

Nothing can convince me.

I like to play and interact with a person while playing.
Physical communication is non-existent. I like to watch my opponents reactions and neglect any more information with a poker face.
My collection began when I could not afford the cool thing at the time (1993, Marvel/DC collectible cards). It was either purchasing 3 packs of Alpha or a single pack of Marvel or two packs of DC collectible cards.
I like to actually own what I purchase. Today, I only seek Legacy and Vintage cards for my collection; Recent prints are only allowed if they are Eternal worthy.
Though I is difficult to gather everyone, there is something to inviting my original playgroup to a games night or a BBQ and have everyone play a game of EDH or more.
I met a lovely person, my girlfriend, at a random comic book store while I picked up my MM1 booster boxes. She thought the booster packs looked like Willy Wonka chocolate bards from the first film. I asked her out on the spot.

Keep brewing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 12:24 am 

I have plenty of stuff to give away for those that have an MTGO account and just want a few hundred cards or more to fill out a basic collection to start building from. If nothing else, PM me a decklist you might want online and I'll see how much I could fill out of my extras*.

I keep a second account for my Clan (that essentially doesn't exist anymore since V4 roll-out) that was for sharing commons and uncommons, plus a whole bunch of extras that haven't been moved to that account.

I just haven't played as much online lately due to time, and less multi-player games firing when I do get to log in (usually 0000-0500 US EST). The loss of 5-6 player games further diminishes my desire to check for games on MODO.

*One benefit of MTGO is that you never need more than 4 of a card since they can go in every deck, or more than 1 of a commander staple for the same reason. Only have one Command Tower? It can still go in every EDH deck you build.

MrCool wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:

For me, yes. Plus I am under the impression that you can't get your money back on virtual cards, but I can with physical ones.

Not quite true, as you can redeem** sets currently in print and there are a number of vendors that will buy MTGO collections for cash if you really want to sell out.

**If you complete a set - 1 of each in foil or non-foil - then you can turn it in for WOTC to mail you the same set in physical form. I believe it is $25 to do so, but that's usually less than the cost difference between physical and MTGO and includes the shipping.

Pricing Example:
Underground Sea is currently ~11.50
Watery Grave ~3.00
Polluted Delta ~9.00

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 12:33 am 

I have to agree with most of the posters here. Direct physical interaction is a big part of the draw for me. I used to play video games a lot, now, I barely install Steam on a new system install. Bugs not withstanding, I have hated every change they have made to the interface, and it was barely usable when I did use it in version 2. Give me a clean simple interface, with native code, like a polished up Cocatrice for instance, and I may be willing to look at it again.

Also without a native Mac client, I am not willing to jump through the hoops needed to run MTGO.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 1:25 am 

I play Commander on MtGO with my friend and three of his friends in America (I was in Japan but am now in the UK). I've not spent a great deal on the deck and we all have a great time. We'll all get together on Skype so we can chat and laugh together in real time without having to use the in-client chat.

Overall, it's a pretty fun experience. About the only thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that Commander damage dealt is listed.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 2:31 am 

I can't afford it, to be honest. I'd have to spend hundreds on event tickets to trade for duals, shocks, staples and it would put me under. I was on MTGO a few years back and I spent far too much money on it, so I sold my online collection for hundreds of real dollars and moved on.
:)

Nissa, Vastwood Seer - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile