Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 12:08 am

Post subject: Commander 2015 Reactions
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:25 am 

What are your thoughts on the decks. Personally I think the legendaries are pretty interesting, a few other interesting cards, but not nearly as many good reprints. Where's oblivion stone and other high priced staples. Urza's incubator was like the only good reprint besides solemn. And because Wizards apparently has no imagination we see yet another reprint of Terastadon? That brings it's print count up to 6 (including promo), what kind of sick fetish does wizards have with this 25 cent card?

Sigil of the empty throne is already in Origins... I don't know there just seems to be the same cards again and again, and not even great cards that you want to keep seeing.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander 2015 Reactions
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:32 am 

I think it looks like a pretty neat product, honestly. Besides maybe the bug dude none of the commanders seem blatantly overpowered (yet) and I liked the majority of the new cards.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:34 am 

I think all of the new legendaries have at least something going for them, which is good. The reprints seem to be mostly staples that are surprisingly expensive for old timers; things like Phyrexian Arena, Lightning Greaves, Black Market, Eternal Witness, etc.

All of the decks seem like decent value, but a lot of that value is locked up in $5-10 cards that you probably have if you've been playing for a while.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/com ... -decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:35 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Where's oblivion stone and other high priced staples.

Pretty sure the idea was NOT to print something that would make one or two of the decks sell out instantly because of people trying to get certain singles, a la Scavenging Ooze or True-Name Nemesis.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:44 am 

Overall I think this was the least exciting and least valuable commander set ever for reprints, but I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong with math, at least on the value part.

But the decks, overall, seem fun/interesting and a LOT of the new cards seem playable.

I am very, very disappointed by the Orzhov deck because I had the highest hopes for it, simply because I feel it's one of the color pairs that just badly needs the most support and help. Golgari is another pair I like, and while I'm excited about all the goodies it got, that pair just really didn't NEED the help the way Orzhov does. If they could have done for Orhzov what they did for the Golgari, I'd be over the moon.

The Boros deck seems pretty disappointing too, but I was already pretty happy with where Boros was, it could use a bit of a kick but it's not hurting for anything too badly. It'd just have been nice if they had explored new design space instead of just powering up existing (played out) archetypes that people are, to varying degrees, bored with.

In fact, almost all the decks strongly adhere to existing and well-known archetypes. There is very little imagination or exploration in any of these decks. The one exception is the Orzhov deck, but I just feel that the new design space they opened up isn't very deep/interesting/powerful but I will give it a fair chance before I make up my mind for good. But so far neither of the new commanders tickle my fancy.

So on one hand, I feel like this is the most, hmm... stale and unoriginal commander set to date, yet at the same time it hits enough of the right notes (new toys for existing decks I DO care about, good utility cards, decent common/uncommon/rare reprints) that I'm still very excited.

Overall I'd say green was the biggest winner, white was teh biggest loser, while red and black got a mixed bag of good and terrible. Blue seems to have fared really well on average, but aside from having the best (but still not my favorite) member of the Confluence cycle, it didn't get a whole lot of really good cards, just a lot of decent ones.

TL;DR - I like them enough that I will be perfectly happy picking up the set of 5 but I have a lot more complaints and quibbles overall than I have in past releases.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:59 am 

Loved How new players are about to get lots of staples that were expensive and the cryptic almost command.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 7:59 am 

With ~25 EDH decks built, my staples tend to be spread thin. This isn't necessarily bad, but I will always welcome more copies, and these decks deliver in spades. In addition, all the cool $5-$10 cards are usually the last ones that I tend to pick up, and there are a number included that I've been wanting (or wanting more of) for a while, so the reprint selection gets my approval.

None of the new cards seem particularly overwhelming, and while we'll have to see how everything plays out, none of the new legendaries seem anywhere near as OP as Prossh or Derevi. The UR spellslinger guy seems the most powerful judging by the cards in a vacuum, but the strategy he works with has a lot of weakness to early pressure, so I think he's mostly ok. I like him a lot more than Melek for that style of deck. The other one that stands out as being powerful is the GB insect, and even then, he folds to a wrath just like evry other swarm strategy, so we're already equipped to deal with the deck he wants to lead.

The decks themselves seem pretty coherent and look like they will play well enough as-is. Compared to C11, there are few cards that seem like they would perform a whole lot better in one of the other decks. Compared to C13, the new decks don't seem like they were 10 half-decks mashed together. There are little touches that indicate that Wizards likely both tuned each deck individually and also looked at the set as a whole.

The mana bases seem pretty good for precons, and I didn't spot any glaring inconsistencies like the completely bizarre distribution of vivid lands or the missing Rav bounce lands that we saw in C13. While I didn't really expect to see them, I was still a little sad that there wasn't a completion of any of the old common and uncommon ally-colored land cycles, like the Mirage fetches, Invasion tap lands, or Zendikar refuges.

I was super pleased to see a few copies Lightning Greaves included, since they are hard(ish) to find for new players, and also pretty happy to see that they went with Swiftfoot Boots in the deck where shroud would be bad, and didn't bother including any footwear at all in the creature-light deck. A Neurok Stealthsuit might have been nice there to protect the commander, but the haste definitely wasn't needed.

Overall, I think these look to have good value, especially for new players, and look fun to play. I will definitely be picking up a set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 9:01 am 

I really like the B/G experience counter commaner. I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy the deck and modify it, or juts get the singles and go from there.

Overall, I like the decks a lot less then last year, but they seem decent. Disappointed that the R/U isn't artifacts. I feel like this set is much more aimed towards newer commander players then experienced players with a big collection.

On the other hand, maybe it's just hard to make preconstructed decks that appeal to players with a large collection, short of putting in singles that add up to way higher then the deck's MSRP and/or engaging in constant power creep.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 9:06 am 

I would say that Karlov is likely the strongest general printed in the set. He's hyper aggressive while easily converting to control midgame.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 9:16 am 

Yeah, I really want to see a W/B Voltron deck based on him. It seems very doable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 10:06 am 

sir squab wrote:
Yeah, I really want to see a W/B Voltron deck based on him. It seems very doable.

I'm down to 104 cards. Hang tight.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 12:25 pm 

I'm pretty happy, personally. I've got a list of about 30~ reprints I'm happy with, either cards I never got copies of before (Black Market, Reins of Power), or things I'm happy to have extra copies of (Lightning Greaves, High Market, etc).

As for the new cards:
-Ezuri, Claw of Progress will be taking over as head of my Simic deck. Bloodspore Thrinax will be joining him, as even though that'll turn off any future Exp. counters, I think having 2 different Master Biomancer-y creatures will be fun. Arachnogenesis will probably make it in too.

-Arjun, the Shifting Flame will be joining Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind. Thought Vessel, Magus of the Wheel and Mizzix's Mastery will find places in both Niv and Nekusar. Mizzix of the Izmagnus is a possibility for both, but I'll need to double check my instants/sorceries in those decks first.

-I've also been considering building a Golgari deck for a while now, but I'm still undecided between Meren, Mazirek, Jarad, and Nath.

-Blade of Selves might make it in something. I'll have to check my ETB creatures in my decks, though.

-Kalemne's Captain is under consideration for Mayael, but she's just so slow and clunky compared to what she'd probably replace.

Last edited by SirMalkin on 2015-Nov-06 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 12:51 pm 

There are some cool cards, but nothing I feel encourages me to actually buy up all of the decks. I'm buying singles this time around, which seems really weird to me at the moment, but I don't really need a whole lot.

That being said, Blade of Selves and the new Commander land are both out of stock in the usual places I look. I hope those two cards don't end up being so pricey I have to sign my name in blood and sacrifice my secondborn to get. There's several decks of mine which are looking for Blade of Selves, and I could do with a couple of the Commander lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 1:04 pm 

I wouldn't worry about signing in blood. No one ever gets me to sign things in blood, and I offer to do so.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 3:29 pm 

I love the concept behind a lot of the decks. The Orzhov deck with all its enchantments (and welcome reprints of Karmic Justice and Phyrexian Arena) is very cool. I'm seriously gravitating toward the Golgari one though, not just for the cool commanders but for Black Market, which I desperately need for Horobi and is in the $25-$30 (CDN) range over here.

Overall I'm kinda "meh" about the decks, just because I would have liked across the board reprints of stuff like Solemn Simulacrum, for example. I'll pick up one or two of them But I hope for next year they don't limit themselves to colour pairs, or at least go five colours for all decks and then give us some wedge and color pairs and so on. Not realistic or feasibly, I know, but it's kinda annoying having to wait a year or two between color pairs.

Thankful for the work though, lots to get excited about on a new card scale.

Oh! Reading about Blade of Selves reminds me that I really like Myriad, but I wish there woulda gone a bit bonkers with it, like a Myriad Solemn, or a Myriad Man O'war or a Myriad valuetown train...but that's just me being greedy and wanting to abuse sac outlet even more. :mrgreen:

Nissa, Vastwood Seer - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile