Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-22 3:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander 2015 Spoilers
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:03 am 

DarksteelElephant wrote:
tgambitg wrote:
Antis wrote:
Love the ScoutCat. White needs every bit of ramp it can get.

Also, I just realized — Command Beacon in Titania :shock:

With Food Chain, it's infinite landfall triggers and infinite mana.

DON'T GIVE HIM ANY IDEAS!
I seriously LOLed at that :D

Don't worry, I won't add Food Chain in the deck.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:26 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Savra is pretty darn on-theme actually, but regardless I agree with you.

I think she's on-theme, but just would require the deck to get a bit of a mechanical tune-up to function well since it feels a little light on sac outlets.

Quote:
Ancient Craving spells, I have NEVER been so hard up for options I've felt those were at all playable

I've found them to be good enough if you don't have access to blue. Green has some better options, too, but those tend to have a creature-related hoop to jump through.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:30 am 

JJackson wrote:
Quote:
Ancient Craving spells, I have NEVER been so hard up for options I've felt those were at all playable

I've found them to be good enough if you don't have access to blue. Green has some better options, too, but those tend to have a creature-related hoop to jump through.

Eh, even in Mono-Black I found more than enough draw without resorting to those. Or course Erebos was my general...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:36 am 

Just to provide another opinion,
thaumaturge wrote:
...the Ancient Craving spells, I have NEVER been so hard up for options I've felt those were at all playable.

Eh, they're decent if you're in black but not blue and doing a sort of spell-focused, creature light build. If you look at dark prophecy and grim haruspex and harvester of souls and say "I don't have the quantity of dudes to support those," then ancient craving and ambition's cost fit nicely between promise of power and night's whisper, and provide strong early plays.

Unconditional card draw is good in black; also they're 3 cards for 4 mana, which is pretty close to 1-for-1. Which is an awesome rate for card drawing.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:45 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
Eh, they're decent if you're in black but not blue and doing a sort of spell-focused, creature light build. If you look at dark prophecy and grim haruspex and harvester of souls and say "I don't have the quantity of dudes to support those," then ancient craving and ambition's cost fit nicely between promise of power and night's whisper, and provide strong early plays.
Fair point, I'll give you that, I guess I've just never come close to building a deck that fits those criteria.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:47 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Question #1: are the extra tokens tapped and attacking, or only the original token?
Question #2: do the extra tokens self-exile EOC, or only the originals?

Yes, and yes. The replacement effect on Parallel Lives/Doubling Season just have the effect that already made them make an extra one. It's the same as Geist of St Traft.

You would have to copy the token via populate or any similar token clone effect to keep a token version past the end of combat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 5:49 am 

Epsilon wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Question #1: are the extra tokens tapped and attacking, or only the original token?
Question #2: do the extra tokens self-exile EOC, or only the originals?

Yes, and yes. The replacement effect on Parallel Lives/Doubling Season just have the effect that already made them make an extra one. It's the same as Geist of St Traft.

You would have to copy the token via populate or any similar token clone effect to keep a token version past the end of combat.

That's what I thought, but since I effed up the Exalted thing yesterday, I figured I better ask. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 6:18 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
mmcgeach wrote:
Fair point, I'll give you that, I guess I've just never come close to building a deck that fits those criteria.

Yeah, it's really a pretty narrow niche. :) W/B lifegain/lifespend (without a tokens subtheme) is a deck where they're good.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 8:51 am 

Need the B/G legends as singles. The deck as a whole is kinda underwhelming but they make me wanna build a B/G deck where I can throw all my currently unused black boardwipes, find sac outlets... Good times.

Might take apart Ghave for it, since I haven't played that deck in ages anyways.

....Question, is anti-graveyard hate a thing?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 10:00 am 

That's my sentiment about the whole thing this year, sadly. Happy about the new cards (except the U/R generals; yep, gonna be mad about that for a looong time, deal with it :) ), but the reprints are largely unattractive to me. I don't need more Black Markets, Aura of Silences, Greaves or Sol Rings. May be one or two Incubators, since I don't have any of those.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 10:53 am 

Do we expect the price of the legends to be more than the 3-4 bucks most of the last few sets legends' have cost? A lot of people seem to like them, and they will be the hardest to get unless stores crack pre-cons.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 2:53 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
Do we expect the price of the legends to be more than the 3-4 bucks most of the last few sets legends' have cost? A lot of people seem to like them, and they will be the hardest to get unless stores crack pre-cons.

None of them seem to be exciting for legacy, so I doubt that they will be more than $5 while this is in print.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 8:38 pm 

sir squab wrote:
Need the B/G legends as singles. The deck as a whole is kinda underwhelming but they make me wanna build a B/G deck where I can throw all my currently unused black boardwipes, find sac outlets... Good times.

Might take apart Ghave for it, since I haven't played that deck in ages anyways.

....Question, is anti-graveyard hate a thing?

Same here! My B/G is Glissa, and that deck has little space for my black and green favorites. This precon fits my preference perfectly. OTOH I still have the Ghave precon lying around... And the thing is, I want the black sweeper that is in the W/B precon...So I'm not sold yet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-07 1:10 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
I think that both black decks getting the pay 3 draw 3 for 4 cards kinda screws the black confluence. The instant speed makes it possibly playable but yeah it's a bit lackluster for five mana.

Agreed, thought in mono-black at least, I'd play the confluence just for the combination of instant speed-ness and versatility, for only one more mana that seems like a good upgrade, but the Ancient Craving spells, I have NEVER been so hard up for options I've felt those were at all playable. So I'm not sure being an upgrade over a spell I think is unplayable is good enough.

The confluence is also a Sign in blood Template, so it has political applications, if your meta might want that. And as somebody who has died to Sign in Blood (one of the more humiliating defeats) before, having access to 3 loss of life that isn't preventable damage could be randomly relevant (but not reliable, of course).

Since the Green one returns a Permanent to hand, I wish the Black one returned to the Battlefield since it is limited to creatures. Maybe with a restriction or something though cause that could be too good.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-07 3:56 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Since the Green one returns a Permanent to hand, I wish the Black one returned to the Battlefield since it is limited to creatures. Maybe with a restriction or something though cause that could be too good.

Yeah, returning 3 creatures to battlefield would need to have one heck of a restriction to keep the spell from costing about a million and being the only mode people choose.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next