Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 6:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Commander 2015 Spoilers
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:35 am 

So we're starting to officially get Commander 2015 spoilers! Figure we should have a new thread for it. So far:

R/W Guy we've seen already.

U/G: looks like snake tribal but I think he's actually focused on "when cardname does damage to a player" which I can't remember the nickname for it. More of a snake sub-theme.

U/R: Really good spell slinging general. Look for those X cost blue and red spells. Still, even if he is better (I think he's better but opinions will vary) then the current spell-slinging general, a spell-slinging general is something we have; still waiting on that artificer. Also, potential Bribery reprint? Maybe Acquire?

Mechanic: myriad. When CARDNAME attacks an opponent, put a token of CARDNAME attacking all opponents. Exile tokens at end of combat.
Myriad seems good. Powerful even if you don't do stupid things with it and [cardname]Sundial of the Infinite[/card].

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Commander 2015 Spoilers
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:39 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Current Decks:

Last edited by DarksteelElephant on 2015-Nov-02 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander 2015 Spoilers
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:42 am 

I love Mazirek. We welcome our new Insect Overlords!

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:45 am 

Derp. It looks like we both created threads at the same time. Can someone merge them?

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:46 am 

Missed one.

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:50 am 

Also you aren't showing our friendly W/R giant, which is fine I guess.

U/R guy.... I like him as a spell slinging general, I think he's the best option for that archtype, but... that archtype already exists. U/R artificer is what we're hoping for since we've been needing a general for that for a while now. Especially with all the red artifact support we've been seeing recently between origins and Daretti...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:53 am 

Super disappointed about yet another Instants and Sorceries matter guy for Izzet. And I wouldn't even play this guy over Melek, so insult to injury. What the actual fuck, WotC?

Fiery Confluence seems like a legit spell. Long way from being a "Wrath" for Red, but the added utility and "build your own" way it's worded means it should be flexible enough to be relevant most of the time.

Kalemne's Captain - Barf. I can't think of a single deck I own where this would not hurt me to Monstrous it. I mean, the idea is that you'd do it at a time where it'd hurt you the LEAST, but still... I have never been able to confortably run Bane of Progress in any deck ever for the same reason. I ALWAYS have artifacts and enchantments I don't want to kill, at least if I'm in Green or White. I CAN think of a few decks in my meta that this would be AMAZING against, but still, the collateral damage it would inflict to myself just makes me want to find a totally different way to answer those decks.

Snake guys is cool just because he's a U/G snake legend, which we all wanted... but his design is... meh. Not bad, but meh.

Scytheclaw and the Banshee I hate. Just boring as fuck cards. But I like the Myriad mechanic itself. It's a cool mechanic. The myriad equipment is neat. It's a bit expensive, but I like it. I'm already dreaming of equiping it onto a Hydra Omnivore for lulz. There are probably better things, though.

Finally, there's Mazirek. Mazirek... is awesome. I can definitely see building around him, but he's also pretty fantastic in existing archetypes, notably Savra. He also seems like a shoe-in for Ghave and maybe some Prossh builds. But I am mostly excited to put him to work in Savra - he is a potent win-con for a deck that sometimes has trouble putting games away after establishing control. Cards like this that can swiftly end a game are good - that way I don't get accusations of "toying with my food" or just force my opponents to slog through a grindy but futile end game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:56 am 

New snake replaces Pharika my current Snake general. I gladly add mystic snake and few other guys and lost a couple death spells. Proper snake general beats black removal everytime. Also means my snakes might be able to fight better when there is a swarm afoot!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 2:57 am 

Rosewater says that the experience-counter generals are "characters from Magic's past" (which only one of the three revealed so far is) and the articles say each of the decks' lead generals is themed with a different plane (when Daxos and Kalemne are both from Theros) so... good job getting the marketing pitch straight, guys. :facepalm:

Mazirek is neat. Daxos is great from a flavor perspective and suggests a deck type I haven't built before but which would probably be pretty enjoyable, so thumbs up there. We'll see how the actual design manifests but the Confluences are a great idea.

sir squab wrote:
U/R guy.... I like him as a spell slinging general, I think he's the best option for that archtype, but... that archtype already exists. U/R artificer is what we're hoping for since we've been needing a general for that for a while now. Especially with all the red artifact support we've been seeing recently between origins and Daretti...

The development article does mention that the primary designer of each deck had to pick two themes for their color pair, and that the deck would include one general for each theme, so I'm just assuming that the other blue/red theme would HAVE to be artifacts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:11 am 

charlequin wrote:
sir squab wrote:

The development article does mention that the primary designer of each deck had to pick two themes for their color pair, and that the deck would include one general for each theme, so I'm just assuming that the other blue/red theme would HAVE to be artifacts.

That would make for quite the schizophrenic deck. Though, with the exception of last year, Commander decks have historically been kind of incoherent, so I guess it makes sense.

The UG Alternate being Snakes-themed out of nowhere is pretty DansGame, but it is refreshing to see a nod to poor Kamigawa. I wonder what that place is like these days.

The BG guy seems like he could get out of hand very quickly.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:13 am 

I LOVE the new Daxos!

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:15 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
charlequin wrote:
sir squab wrote:

That would make for quite the schizophrenic deck. Though, with the exception of last year, Commander decks have historically been kind of incoherent, so I guess it makes sense.

The UG Alternate being Snakes-themed out of nowhere is pretty DansGame, but it is refreshing to see a nod to poor Kamigawa. I wonder what that place is like these days.

The BG guy seems like he could get out of hand very quickly.

Well, the green deck and the blue deck had commanders with no synergy, so it wouldn't be that weird. On the other hand, they have not done any decks where the commanders cared about different card types completely, so who knows.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:16 am 

Everblight wrote:
Missed one.

The counters stay even when he dies, right? Enough small enchantments and you could churn out some quite big spirit enchantments in the end-game.
If I'm reading it right he makes */* guys that will grow if you play more enchantments even when they are already in play...... hum.

It's different, obviously a bit linear but an interesting build-around general. I'll probably build this at some point.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:24 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:

I don't think it'd be any less coherent than Teferi + Stitcher Geralf, heh.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 3:25 am 

charlequin wrote:
Rosewater says that the experience-counter generals are "characters from Magic's past" (which only one of the three revealed so far is) and the articles say each of the decks' lead generals is themed with a different plane (when Daxos and Kalemne are both from Theros) so... good job getting the marketing pitch straight, guys. :facepalm:

I guess last year is technically the past?

Sometimes I think Mark Rosewater has a giant poster of Peter Molyneaux surrounded by gilded silks and censer-swinging seraphim hanging right next to his bed. Man's a pretty solid designer, but don't listen to a single word that comes out of his mouth, especially if it's hype.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next