Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 12:46 am

Post subject: No Commander 2015 on MTGO
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 9:05 pm 

So, I'm guessing this is old news, but I just discovered that Commander 2015 won't be released as a discrete product for MTGO. I didn't want to derail the other Commander 2015 thread (especially as I doubt there are many MTGO players left).

Announcement here.

So, to get any Commander 2015 cards I have to play a cube (I know they are popular, but I despise draft in all of its forms, cube included), hope I win, then hope I get what I am looking for -or- entirely rely on the secondary market. Am I the only one very bothered by this. Livid might be a better word. Oh, and the forums are closing and there is no way to comment on articles and announcements anymore. (you can share and like, of course, but no comments ...a.k.a. no negative responses)

What I don't understand is this: If they are already coding all of the new cards into the game; why not make it available in the store? It makes no sense as far as I can tell. Sure, have the cube for those that like those things. But why not make the cards available in more than one way. I can't be the only one who dislikes cubes and doesn't want to rely on random 6-card packs and secondary market as my only way to get a product that should be available from day 1 in the store.

I want to give them money, I want to just buy the decks I want and go. Do they hate the community so much that they don't want to let us pay them for product? It makes no sense to me.

[/rant]

PS: It was very difficult to remain civil while writing this, I hope I succeeded.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No Commander 2015 on MTGO
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 10:57 pm 

They want you to draft and/or buy bosters (more profitable) or work the secondary market.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 11:47 pm 

I guess they didn't sell enough of these sets om.MTGO.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 12:00 am 

Having precons available does some strange stuff to the secondary market and their ability to sell packs. However, if the prices of the Vintage Masters printings of Conspiracy cards are any indication, you should be able to get all your C15 cards for less than the price of a single deck, so I wouldn't cry too much over this particular spilled milk. Mythics will be a few tix. Everything else will be 1 or less unless it turns out to be good enough for Legacy. (And that bar is very high these days.)

And you don't have to pay for 5 more copies of Sol Ring, which is nice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 4:49 am 

It might also be because they're doing something with the cards in C15 that the MTGO engine just can't handle. Sort of the same reason that Conspiracy didn't get a print and why it has stuff like Masters Edition. Granted, the cube-only distribution is kind of garbage though.

Maybe they're bringing back banding?

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 5:05 am 

It does tell us that 41 of 55 are rare or better. Two uncommon cycles plus a couple lands and a couple artifacts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 5:21 am 

Epsilon wrote:
It does tell us that 41 of 55 are rare or better. Two uncommon cycles plus a couple lands and a couple artifacts?

I think they've only done 1 new common each time so far (Command Tower, Opal Palace, Commander's Sphere), so I'd be surprised to see more than 2 new commons, probably 1 land and 1 artifact. Two uncommon cycles and some non-cycle uncommon artifacts would be my guess, so I think we're in agreement.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 10:29 am 

My quibble with the decision is that I don't have the time to waste on a draft that I don't enjoy and searching the secondary market is also time consuming. I know buying from the store is more expensive, but to me it is worth the time saved. I have given away extra copies of things like Sol Ring to new players that show they understand the spirit of EDH and just need help starting their burgeoning online collection (after all, who ever needs more than the minimum of any card in digital).

Being forced into a bad experience when they should offer the product in multiple ways just feels like a betrayal of casual players. Online release will already be later than the paper release. So now, I will have to wait even longer and spend what little free time I have searching out the cards rather than just getting to buy and play them when they come online.

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
Maybe they're bringing back banding?

I could only hope (has always been my favorite keyword since I started in 1994). Even if that is so, banding has been on MODO for years and works well. It is a main focus of my Bant Exalted deck (uses banding on defense for pillow-fort protection). Nature's Blessing is an all star here.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 10:36 am 

I just dont understand how this can be cost effective. If the cards exist, and they cost more in the store as a precon, isn't the one day of code (I am sure its a lot less, but whatever) worth the money? Seems very short sighted.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 9:07 pm 

I think secondary sales of commander 2014 were low. I initially struggled to buy commander's sphere on the secondary market. MTGOTraders didn't list any for several weeks.
I anticipate getting any of these new cards off the secondary market might be tricky. Hopefully grinders will be flooding the bots.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-15 12:11 am 

I imagine that it will be easier to get them on the secondary market if they aren't only available in a $35 precon. Bot owners are only going to crack those if the value of singles is greater than the retail price.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-19 8:09 am 

Rawr, give me my Commander 2015 cards on MTGO already...

The draft is actually fun, but I don't have time to sit through a full draft often enough to crack enough packs!

Secondary market still isn't showing any cards for trade either, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Offline Profile