Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-23 1:30 pm

Post subject: House rule generals
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 4:06 am 

What is your opinion on letting non-legendary creatures be a commander? I have been thinking about cards like Tamanoa that should be legendary, feel legendary, and are not the kind of cards that would be broken as generals.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: House rule generals
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 4:09 am 

DarksteelElephant wrote:
What is your opinion on letting non-legendary creatures be a commander? I have been thinking about cards like Tamanoa that should be legendary, feel legendary, and are not the kind of cards that would be broken as generals.

Tamanoa is actually really stupid as a general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 4:29 am 

I think the official answer is that anything you can agree with your friends on, goes. If it feels good, do it!

I've done nephilim and like one guy complained and but sort of in a not-serious way, so it wasn't a problem.

Tamanoa probably should be legendary (along with stuff like genju of the realm, chromanticore, etc.), but when you build a deck based on that and manabarbs, nobody is going to be impressed. Then they'll start asking why you're using a non-legendary general. But, you know, anything you can do that makes for a fun and interesting play experience is going to be ok.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 4:37 am 

I've been thinking about asking my group if I can use Noyan Dar as a UG general. The more I think about him, the more I feel like UG was robbed of an interesting, non-broken commander, since that is where he fits in the color pie.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 5:02 am 

JJackson wrote:
I've been thinking about asking my group if I can use Noyan Dar as a UG general. The more I think about him, the more I feel like UG was robbed of an interesting, non-broken commander, since that is where he fits in the color pie.

Where does G fit in with casting instants? he's pretty solidly in the right color pie but even if not, he would fit in any other color better than in green. Green is very much a creatures matters color which is as far away from Noyan as you can get.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 5:03 am 

Genju can be scary but no more so than a lot of the other broken commanders.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 5:41 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Where does G fit in with casting instants? he's pretty solidly in the right color pie but even if not, he would fit in any other color better than in green. Green is very much a creatures matters color which is as far away from Noyan as you can get.

Animating lands is about as traditional a green ability as you can get, dating back to Living Lands in Alpha. There are more green spells that do it than nongreen ones, and that includes two cycles of enchantments counting at 1:4.

You're right that he doesn't fit monoG, but the only reason he works as UW is because the Awaken mechanic allows for color pie bleed in this set. In a vacuum, he should probably be RG, UG, or RUG. That isn't what we got, though. It wouldn't irritate me if UG actually had generals that weren't obnoxiously busted (Edric, Momir, Zegana) or boringly linear (Kruphix, Kraj, Vorel).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 5:46 am 

Epsilon wrote:
JJackson wrote:

The "awaken" ability Noyan Dar has is an adjusted version of Anthousa, Setessan Hero's Heroic ability. It's thoroughly green, only not in BFZ because awaken exists.

On topic: If everyone playing is okay with a given house rule, go for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 6:10 am 

Actually, you know what's interesting about this is there's kind of a sliding scale.

Like, I used Glint-Eye Nephilim as my general in an interesting deck, and people were fine with me using it as a general. But then if I wanted to make it unblockable with shizo, death's storehouse, THAT was an additional negotiation. I ended up taking shizo out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 6:11 am 

I run a Temur deck headed up by Sarkhan Unbroken if people are feeling like allowing it or Intet, the Dreamer if they aren't. The deck has a Ferocious/Formidable theme and doesn't lean too heavily on either commander. It's a little unfocused, but pretty fun to play.

If I'm using Sarkhan as the commander and I pull ahead, there will invariably be some good-natured jabs about cheating. :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 6:31 am 

tenminutegod wrote:
If I'm using Sarkhan as the commander and I pull ahead, there will invariably be some good-natured jabs about cheating. :P
If they ever start to seriously complain, you can always "offer" to run Maelstrom Wanderer instead... if they're smart, they'd quickly agree to let you keep Sarkhan in command!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 8:11 am 

In the specific example of Tamenoa, this should not be legendary because it doesn't actually depict a specific entity, but rather a group of them, as can be seen in the flavor text. Legendary things are built that way because there is only supposed to be one of them in existence.

As far as making things your commander that dont fit the rules, I say do what ever your group wants. If it were me Id let you play it until you showed me something that was particularly broken or unfun about using it. If you have some kind of sanguine bond combo in there, then I'd tell you to pick a different commander, since there are enough combo piece generals for you to pick from.

Basically as long as you're not ruining my experience in favor of your own, Id be fine with it.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 12:57 pm 

I still use the angry hippo from time to time, which is not just house ruled but flat-out made up.

mmcgeach wrote:
Like, I used Glint-Eye Nephilim as my general in an interesting deck, and people were fine with me using it as a general. But then if I wanted to make it unblockable with shizo, death's storehouse, THAT was an additional negotiation. I ended up taking shizo out.

Out of curiosity, did you ask "Can I run this as a commander" or "Can we treat this as legendary for all purposes in this deck"? Because the two are different, if related, concepts.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 11:41 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you ask "Can I run this as a commander" or "Can we treat this as legendary for all purposes in this deck"? Because the two are different, if related, concepts.

You know, in practice, I almost never asked, I just put the deck down and showed people the commander. I had the discussion with my close friends, but the groups we'd play with would rotate people in and out, and some of them I didn't know or didn't explicitly ok the general with. Sometimes, players didn't seem to notice it wasn't actually legendary. Either that, or they totally didn't care. I could have been more explicit about it, but, I sort of got tired of going through the whole discussion with everyone. And also, there's no backup plan if they say "no, you can't use a nephilim" because they're pretty unique - you can't just swap the general out with something else and have the deck go similarly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-08 12:51 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

You know, in practice, I almost never asked, I just put the deck down and showed people the commander. I had the discussion with my close friends, but the groups we'd play with would rotate people in and out, and some of them I didn't know or didn't explicitly ok the general with. Sometimes, players didn't seem to notice it wasn't actually legendary. Either that, or they totally didn't care. I could have been more explicit about it, but, I sort of got tired of going through the whole discussion with everyone. And also, there's no backup plan if they say "no, you can't use a nephilim" because they're pretty unique - you can't just swap the general out with something else and have the deck go similarly.

I guess by showing people the commander, you got at least an implied blessing to use it as a commander (since no one apparently said "But mmcgeach, that's not a legend, you can't run that!") but that does not mean it should count as a legend for every effect that cares about such things.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile