Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 12:10 am

Post subject: Re: Fixed Legendary Creatures
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 9:31 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Good catch I think you just turn cast into play or maybe just cast or play and add instead? the land thing makes it trickier than I thought.

"Play" is the terminology in this case. Djinn of Wishes if you want an example.

That unfortunately cuts the legs out from under the "propose a spell" tech.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 11:31 am 

To make it work in black border you have to either abandon the land thing or just handle it separately.

If a land would enter the battlefield under your control, you may name another land card not previously named by this ability and have it enter the battlefield as a copy of the named land card instead.

If you would cast a spell card, you may name another spell card with the same mana cost not previously named by this ability and cast it as a copy of the named spell card instead.
JJackson wrote:
I'm not you can make the restriction on card choices work without some CR changes to allow it actually be tracked by the game.
You don't need any new rules. Things remember what choices were made regarding them. Sid already brought up Demonic Pact as an example. This is handled by ordinary English and doesn't require CR or Emblems or whatever to tell it how to remember what modes have been used.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 1:10 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
JJackson wrote:
I'm not you can make the restriction on card choices work without some CR changes to allow it actually be tracked by the game.
You don't need any new rules. Things remember what choices were made regarding them. Sid already brought up Demonic Pact as an example. This is handled by ordinary English and doesn't require CR or Emblems or whatever to tell it how to remember what modes have been used.

Yeah, Demonic Pact is pretty telling. Just "that hasn't been chosen."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-14 11:03 am 

crokaycete wrote:
If a land would enter the battlefield under your control, you may name another land card not previously named by this ability and have it enter the battlefield as a copy of the named land card instead.

If you would cast a spell card, you may name another spell card with the same mana cost not previously named by this ability and cast it as a copy of the named spell card instead.

That's off-target in 2 ways;
1. Richard Garfield DOES NOT let you use Harrow to get Coffers/Urborg combo out.
2. Richard Garfield DOES let you play Ornithopter as Gaea's Cradle or Island as Black Lotus.

I guess the question I have to ask is, does his text really need to be "fixed"? What do we mean by "fixed" in this case? It seems pretty hard to balance a card that lets you play mental magic. Is there any reason he doesn't work within the rules as printed?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-14 12:19 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I guess the question I have to ask is, does his text really need to be "fixed"? What do we mean by "fixed" in this case? It seems pretty hard to balance a card that lets you play mental magic. Is there any reason he doesn't work within the rules as printed?

I think he doesn't work as printed. He also doesn't duplicate mental magic, since he resets when he dies and you can't play lands as spells without a mana cost in Mental Magic. (They didn't exist prior to Unglued, so no surprise that this wasn't considered.)

I think the closest you can get to actual Mental Magic rules is:

Whenever you play a land card, you may name another land card not previously named by this ability and have it enter the battlefield as a copy of the named land card instead. If you don't that land enters the battlefield as a basic land with "(tap): add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

If you would cast a spell card, you name a spell card with the same mana cost that has not been cast this game and cast it as a copy of the named spell card instead.

This definitely doesn't do things like let me return Yamabushi's Flame as Squee, but under the new changes for checking the legality of casting a spell, maybe it would let you flashback Impulse as Think Twice. I honestly am not sure. And I'm glad I'll never have to be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-14 1:41 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
2. Richard Garfield DOES let you play Ornithopter as Gaea's Cradle or Island as Black Lotus.

He doesn't. He will let you play an Evermind or Living End as a land, though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-15 4:39 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

He doesn't. He will let you play an Evermind or Living End as a land, though.

Good catch - I fell into the old "CMC vs. mana cost" trap. D'OH! :facepalm:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:24 am 

crokaycete wrote:
I think he doesn't work as printed.

May I ask why?

Offline Profile